September 16th, 2010

Police: Washington woman admits acid attack was a hoax

Bethany Storro told police an African-American woman threw acid in her face.

A Washington woman who told police that a stranger threw acid in her face admitted Thursday that her injuries were self-inflicted, authorities said.

Bethany Storro, 28, told Vancouver Police that an African-American woman passed her on the street and threw a cup of caustic liquid in her face the evening of August 30. She was released from an Oregon hospital on September 5 after undergoing surgery for her injuries after the alleged attack.

But discrepancies emerged during the investigation, Vancouver Police Chief Clifford Cook said in a press conference Thursday.

"Ms. Storro admitted her injuries were self-inflicted and the attack itself had not occurred as she had previously reported," he said.

Storro had credited a pair of sunglasses that she bought shortly before the attack with saving her eyesight. But details such as those led police to question her version of the attack, said police Commander Marla Schuman.

"It was all the little things that didnt quite add up," Schuman said.

Storro is still being interviewed by detectives. Prosecutors will decide whether to charge her, Schuman said.

"She is extremely upset," Schuman said. "She is very remorseful. It got bigger than she expected."

FULL STORY

1. savjic

Lots of people do this! I put acid in my face in 1971,under my tongue......I think...I'm not sure...hard to remember clearly...where are my keys?

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dstevens

wow....and I actually felt sorry for her...well, now I can really.

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. duda7331

i think she should of blamed it on some muslim terrorist it would of made her look better.

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Z

This simply sounds like darwinism working its magic... The stupid animals of a species shouldnt be able to procreate.

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

I'm afraid I read she was a mother of four..!

September 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. psycho

nutcase

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike

So what is she saying...she threw acid in her own face?

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bigpumpguy

wow i cant believe this–this woman, and i use the term loosely, need to stand up in front of the media and
    apologize to all the black women in washington for putting there lives in danger.
    to hell with her.
    if she was going to lie she should have said i did not see my attacker-noooooo she picked race.
    i hope she goes to jail i'm shure there are a few women who want to meet her in there.

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MichaelFallsChurchVA

Hey guys brb throwing acid all over myself and blaming it on someone nearby

jk I get enough attention

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RadPro16

White Racists lie on Black people in Canada too? Who'd have known it?

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

It's Vancouver, WA! I made that mistake at first too. So the jury is still out on racist Canadians...

September 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Relieved.

Whew! As an African American woman, I was afraid I was going to be targeted for counter-attacks. Everytime someone blames the black person, we all have to hit the deck....

September 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nick Riddle

You know... this story made me feel so bad for her. How deceptive. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE H E L L IS GOING ON IN THS COUNTRY!?!

I'm dumbfounded and speechless! That's it, I am finding an island and starting my own country. The country of NICK... and you can all come... I'll charge only 50% tax rates, we're a developing country after all.

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Name*russell

It's always a black person people blame! Whites blame crap on everyone but their own dumb selves.

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • julz

yep that true

September 16, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chloe

What is happening in this world? I mean... who throws acid in their own face for attention? Why? That's just ridiculous. I hope she gets punished for this attention seeking crap.

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anonymous

Always the black woman... lol we never get a break..lol

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bettyboop

This is a painful way to get attention. I have read stories about cutters, and people who inflict pain on themselves. Word is they are in severe PAIN inside and hurting themselves somehow relieves it. Anyone who is Christian please pray for her. She is needs serious help.

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Relieved.

Can everyone pray for her? Jews? Muslim? Buddhists? Or do only Christian prayers count? Don't forget– Jesus was Jew. And Muslims regard Jesus as a prophet. And Hindus are just cool!

She can use a whole lotta prayers–let's not cut anyone out!

September 16, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMaestro

Anyone who is Christian please view this Christian woman as a cautionary tale! You too may be on a long delusional racist slide into darkness. Put down the bible before you pick up the acid...

p.s. What kind of reaction would have occurred if a Black/Muslim was caught lying about being similarly attacked by a White person?

September 16, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |