September 16th, 2010

Police: Washington woman admits acid attack was a hoax

Bethany Storro told police an African-American woman threw acid in her face.

A Washington woman who told police that a stranger threw acid in her face admitted Thursday that her injuries were self-inflicted, authorities said.

Bethany Storro, 28, told Vancouver Police that an African-American woman passed her on the street and threw a cup of caustic liquid in her face the evening of August 30. She was released from an Oregon hospital on September 5 after undergoing surgery for her injuries after the alleged attack.

But discrepancies emerged during the investigation, Vancouver Police Chief Clifford Cook said in a press conference Thursday.

"Ms. Storro admitted her injuries were self-inflicted and the attack itself had not occurred as she had previously reported," he said.

Storro had credited a pair of sunglasses that she bought shortly before the attack with saving her eyesight. But details such as those led police to question her version of the attack, said police Commander Marla Schuman.

"It was all the little things that didnt quite add up," Schuman said.

Storro is still being interviewed by detectives. Prosecutors will decide whether to charge her, Schuman said.

"She is extremely upset," Schuman said. "She is very remorseful. It got bigger than she expected."

FULL STORY

1. DanfromBoston

Good work to the PD to getting the real truth out! I hope she is put away to think about what she has done. She hurt nobody but herself, but she filed a false report and had police use resources to try finding a suspect along with conducting an investigation.

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bobski

Why is it that every time someone lies about being attacked, it's always a black person that is accused of doing it. Is it that it is more believable when you use a black person, just curious.

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

LOL it's like the 911 call from 'The Cable Guy'

Oh my God! Oh my God! My twin brother has been shot! I think it was an Asian gang or something... There was this guy, he looked Asian... and he was speaking another language, I'm pretty sure it was... Asian.

September 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMaestro

Why is it that Rush Limbaugh's lemmings drool when he deadpans, "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

September 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stoprunning

wow

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kuratowa

Unfair Rock God. She could have said the attacked was of any race and I woud have believed it. I don't think anyone would expect someone could do ths intentionally to themselves.

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Yeah really. I found the story hard to believe anyway, but I doubt many ppl thought of this as 'a black thing' or a racist act, they probably thought the woman who did this must be seriously mentally ill...and I think she is!

September 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMaestro

How many people would have CONTINUED to believe that a McCain volunteer was brutally attacked and disfigured by an angry BLACK Obama supporter, had the perpetrator not obviously self-mutilated with a mirror???
      Tawana Brawley was only 14 (and the product of an obviously dysfunctional/violent home) when she was excoriated for lying about being attacked by White men – the adult perpetrator of this current hoax deserves nothing less. Yet I predict that that this White woman will recieve far more support than did 14-year-old Tawana Brawley. I hope I'm wrong, though!

September 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mangoose

This kind of women men fears the most. She has the full capability and willingness of putting any man in serious trouble including long time behind bar. She has enough guts to lie like this.

Thanks Thy God she does lacks the intellect. God save this woman and her likes. DISGRACED WOMAN !!!

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMaestro

You're making it about gender??? Did you notice that the "attacker" she invented was a woman? Good luck with your many obvious issues.

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TEA

When this story was first reported, I saw on a blog that this was a hate crime and so many people had racially charged comments. It was just disturbing. Wow, and she did this to herself and blamed it on a black woman...all I can say is wow...She needs serious help....

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. laura

This woman received money through fraudulant methods and should be prosecuted as such...it is my understanding she is deaf, however she was so pretty, after prosecution to the psyche ward. Can you say SCAM?

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wowee123

...and it had to be a BLACK woman, what a moron.

September 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

You know it was just so crazy I think she could have made up any race or gender at all and it would make just as much sense.. Maybe part of her mental illness includes being a racist.

September 16, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dan

I wonder if she'll get a spot on reality TV now(?)

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. s man

Congrats to the police for exposing this fraud.

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert Taylor

The reason she is smiling is that finally she is getting some attention. Well lets see how she smiles now. Is she Mexican? Send her back to Mexico

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nancy

I am speechless. One week after this story a woman in Mesa AZ had this happen to her. I hope whom ever did this to the woman in AZ didnt get the idea from the woman in Canada who is CrAzY!!!

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Read it again. Vancouver, Washington...........this crazy biatch is American.

September 16, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMaestro

Um, yanno there's a Vancouver or two in America?

September 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. trilobug

That she blames an African American shows you just how we are viewed in this country.

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yo

die in a fkin hole

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott

She should have just done some acid and tripped out. It may have skewed her perspective before this silly act was deemed necessary.

September 16, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |