September 16th, 2010

Police: Washington woman admits acid attack was a hoax

Bethany Storro told police an African-American woman threw acid in her face.

A Washington woman who told police that a stranger threw acid in her face admitted Thursday that her injuries were self-inflicted, authorities said.

Bethany Storro, 28, told Vancouver Police that an African-American woman passed her on the street and threw a cup of caustic liquid in her face the evening of August 30. She was released from an Oregon hospital on September 5 after undergoing surgery for her injuries after the alleged attack.

But discrepancies emerged during the investigation, Vancouver Police Chief Clifford Cook said in a press conference Thursday.

"Ms. Storro admitted her injuries were self-inflicted and the attack itself had not occurred as she had previously reported," he said.

Storro had credited a pair of sunglasses that she bought shortly before the attack with saving her eyesight. But details such as those led police to question her version of the attack, said police Commander Marla Schuman.

"It was all the little things that didnt quite add up," Schuman said.

Storro is still being interviewed by detectives. Prosecutors will decide whether to charge her, Schuman said.

"She is extremely upset," Schuman said. "She is very remorseful. It got bigger than she expected."

FULL STORY

1. Joseph

Eh, I'm for not charging her, but she clearly needs psychological help if she did this to herself.

September 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. paul

Let's get off the black thing...we ALL stand on our own two feet with our moral compass. Using this to promote or draw attention to race is pathetic! This is why racisim just will not go away...

September 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • PenZ

Paul, did you notice she blamed a Black woman. What do you want us to get off?

September 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Corkpuller

How many other false reports has this whack job filed. How long did she walk around with a cup of acid before she threw it in her face?

September 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PCZ

What a waste of time for the police department
    she should be charged

September 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Acid Freak

I totallly understand her. She's pudgy and hates herself. Why not blame it on a hate crime insted of the 8,000 Sara Lee pound cakes she's ingested?

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. aNobodyinFla

I was serious about donating money for her medical bills and it is just a scam?....She does need psychological help but don't look for donations.I do hope she recovers and I hope she has a strong family......unbelievable

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jahc

as someone who helped out this woman finacally it's sad that because of her discieving EVERYONE people will now think twice before ever helping others out who really are in need. I pray to God that she gets the help she sooooooo needs.
    I hope NO doctor will repair her face and that she will have to live the rest of her life looking in the mirror and see everyday what she did to herself for beauty. Dosen't beautiy come from the inside? Doesn't God say in the Bible,
    Love yourself as I love you. I pray for Brittney and hope that someday she will have God in her heart.

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Calvin

George Bush did it!

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike

I knew right away she was lying. No black woman would carry around acid. Now if she said chicken grease I would have believed her.

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PenZ

I'm sorry I felt sorry for her. Black people, be strong! We carry the sins of the world.

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dave

She wasn't pretty before.....I am thinking a bit less attention (cept from white suit medical staff) for her foreseable future.

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brett c

woooooooow......another Susan Smith....

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mark

Remember.......the lady that lied about finding a finger in her food, or the dude that lied about killing john bonet-ramsey, or the crazy astroanaut that wore the diaper to kick some chicks ass in florida?? It just proves that stupid people should not breed !!

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Excuseme

C R A Z Y!!!

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brennen

I love how everyone can make it a race issue then call all white people dumb... computers should only be for the educated.

September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |