September 16th, 2010

Police say Johns Hopkins gunman killed self, mother

CLICK HERE FOR CONTINUING COVERAGE

[Updated at 3:12 p.m.] The gunman in Thursday's Johns Hopkins shooting - identified as Warren Davis, 50 - shot himself and his mother, who was being treated at the hospital, Baltimore's police commissioner said.

Davis was standing outside room 873 in the Nelson building, where he was being briefed by a doctor about the condition of his mother, Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld said.

"Mr. Davis was receiving some news about the care and condition of his mother just outside the doorway to that room when he became emotionally distraught," the commissioner said.

During the conversation, Davis pulled a small, semiautomatic gun from his waistband and shot the doctor once in the lower chest/upper abdomen, he said.

Within minutes, a tactical team later entered the hospital and found Davis dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His mother had also been killed, Bealefeld said.

[Updated 2:33 p.m.] Baltimore police now say the incident at Johns Hopkins Hospital is a murder-suicide.

The gunman, who shot a doctor in the abdomen, killed himself as well as someone else. It was unclear who else was killed, but sources say the wounded doctor is expected to recover.

Some media outlets, including The Baltimore Sun, are saying that the gunman shot his mother, who was being treated at the hospital.

[Updated 2:23 p.m.] There are now conflicting reports on how the shooter at Johns Hopkins Hospital died.

Some media outlets are reporting the gunmen shot himself, but CNN has not been able to confirm the reports. Police earlier told CNN that police shot the gunman.

[Updated 2:04 p.m.] Minutes after police announced the shooter at Johns Hopkins Hospital was killed by a tactical team, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said, "The situation is resolved."

SWAT team members leaving the scene told CNN the same.

The situation has now moved from a tactical operation to a crime scene, Guglielmi said.

[Updated at 1:56 p.m.] Employees at the scene of the hospital shooting tell CNN affiliate WBAL that the shooter was unhappy with how his mother was being treated and that the wounded doctor was shot during surgery.

A reporter for The Baltimore Sun told CNN earlier that he had heard similar information from his sources.

One employee, Cynell Robertson, told WBAL that the moments after the doctor was shot were frightening.

"My boss came running in to tell me to stay put where I'm at, there's a guy running around with a gun and we didn't know what he's going to do,"she told WBAL.

Police have said the shooter was killed by police, but no further information was immediately available.

[Updated at 1:51 p.m.] Police say the suspect in the Johns Hopkins Hospital shooting is dead. He was shot by police, authorities said.

[Updated at 1:40 p.m.] Baltimore police say the situation at Johns Hopkins Hospital is contained, but "we're still trying to gain control of the suspect."

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi described the suspect only as an African-American male in his 30s. He further said police have heard reports the shooter is in a room, barricaded with a family member.

Guglielmi refrained from providing information on the shooter's location because there are televisions throughout the hospital.

He said there was no risk to the general public or patients and that the FBI is on standby. He wouldn't discuss whether police were in contact with the shooter.

As for the injured doctor, Guglielmi said he suffered abdominal injuries.

"He's in surgery as we speak, but he is going to be OK," he said.

[Updated at 1:14 p.m.] Criminal profiler Pat Brown tells CNN she believes the incident at Johns Hopkins could end "better than most situations" because the shooter does not appear to be a mass murderer.

The shooter may even realize he's made a huge mistake, and he might be scared because he knows he's trapped, Brown said.

A hospital employee, who said she left the hospital shortly before noon, told CNN affiliate WBAL that her shift isn't over for several hours. She has not been told to go home and she has not been able to return to work, she said.

"I really am scared," she told the station.

[Updated at 1:03 p.m.] A statement from Johns Hopkins Hospital says the doctor who was shot is a "faculty physician" and that confidentiality policies prohibit the hospital from releasing more information.

[Updated at 12:42 p.m.] Police say they know where the Johns Hopkins suspect is and have him cornered.

However, said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, there is no information on whether the shooter has hostages.

Guglielmi said tactical units are on the scene, but the emergency room remains open and the incident is contained to one floor.

He further said he has learned that the doctor's condition has been upgraded, and his injuries now do not appear life-threatening.

Justin Fenton, a crime reporter for The Baltimore Sun who is across the street from the hospital, said a source tells him the shooter is upset about his mother, who is being treated at Johns Hopkins.

[Updated at 12:35 p.m.] Baltimore police say a SWAT team is on the scene as they attempt to apprehend the shooter.

[Updated at 12:29 p.m.] Baltimore police say earlier reports that a suspect was in custody in the shooting at Johns Hopkins Hospital were incorrect.

Baltimore Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said authorities also have no information on a motive or the relationship between the suspect and a doctor who was critically wounded.

[Updated at 12:25 p.m.] A shooter who critically injured a doctor at Johns Hopkins Hospital in east Baltimore, Maryland, has been "subdued and disarmed," according to a hospital spokesman.

Police reported that a doctor had been shot, and Johns Hopkins spokesman Gary Stephenson said the injured doctor had been taken to an operating room.

Earlier, local media said the suspect was hiding in a patient's room on the eighth floor of the hospital. CNN affiliate WMAR in Baltimore said the shooter had barricaded himself. It's unclear if the shooter was alone in the room.

Reports indicate the wounded doctor is in critical condition. Many people were evacuated, according to reports. Those who weren't evacuated were told via e-mail to stay in rooms at the hospital, which has about 1,000 beds. The e-mail further instructed them to keep room doors locked and to stay away from windows.

The hospital released a statement saying it had temporarily restricted access to the hospital's main buildings.

"Baltimore police and Johns Hopkins security officers are on the scene and have asked employees, visitors, patients and caregivers to stay in rooms or offices, with doors locked where possible, until further notice," the statement said.

A witness told WMAR that the shooting happened in the hospital's Nelson Building, which is near the emergency room entrance.

Local media reports indicate the shooting occurred between 11 and 11:30 a.m.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Maryland
  1. Baltimoron

Baltimore is a cesspool that needs to be nuked so that we can start over. Trust me. I live here.

September 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. blake

We traveled from Denver to JHH's Kimmel Cancer Center to get treatment for my wife's cancer. For a month, I shared a condo with students right outside the east entrance. The treatment my wife received was the best in the world, but I took my life in my hands every time I walked the half block between the hospital and the condo. At night, I would hear gunfire. One Sunday morning, I decided to take a walk. What a mistake! I was hounded and followed by thugs. I ducked into a fast food restaurant. Luckily, a cab driver saw me and picked me up. He told me he knew I needed help getting out of there because he could see I did not belong there. He got me back to the hospital. From then on I ate at the Subway in the hospital and never went out, except to get to the condo. Employees in the hospital told me they rode the subway into the hospital basement and would never leave the hospital grounds during their shift. Now, the violence has entered the hospital. Baltimore is a disgrace to the USA. My prayers for the employee go out along with the knowledge he or she is in a world-class hospital that happens to located in a third world city.

September 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baltimoron

Exactly. The locals make "the wire" look like a ride at Disneyland.

September 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-less

The area isn't quite that bad to hear gunfire regularly. Traipsing around on Fayette, Monument, Wolfe or Orleans by yourself would be dumb though. You would just get robbed in a heartbeat but probably not actually shot. Actually, there was a young lab manager who was stabbed to death during a robbery at the Homewood campus of JHU about a month ago.... Yep, this place blows and it's the locals, not us educated transplants.

September 16, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CJ

Eye on the the TV
    'Cause tragedy thrills me
    Whatever flavor it happens to be, like...
    "Killed by the husband"
    "Drowned by the ocean"
    "Shot by his own son"
    "She used a poison in his tea, and kissed him goodbye"
    That's my kind of story
    It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like I am a monster
    Frown out your one face, but with the other
    Stare like a junkie into the TV
    Stare like a zombie
    While the mother holds her child, watches him die
    Hands to the sky crying, "Why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die...from a distance
    Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
    You all need it too, don't lie

September 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • hilarious

Don't quit your day job...unless your day job happens to be writing poetry

September 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shouses

does this have anything to do with health insurance on one side or the other?

September 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shannon

I have to agree with a minority of the posters above- the crass comments on this are shocking. A person was shot, people were in fear for their lives, and people think it's something to joke about. I'm glad the situation is over. It's horrible, though, to think that we're not even safe in hospitals...

September 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Translation

Think that's shocking? Have a look at some of the responses to the story a couple days ago on CNN about a doctor's family being killed. The sick torture scenarios people wrote in about how they'd like to kill the killers show that mentality is not limited to criminals.

September 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Re-c

its funny how as soon as something happens inna place where its mostly blacks nobody is surprised......if i can recall OJ didnt that happen in beverly hills last time i checked not too many black folks living there

September 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • "Racist"

remind me again, what race is OJ?

September 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ironing

Besides, we all know OJ was innocent!

September 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherelm

My bet is that the person lost someone recently, and is blaming this physician. In this sad day – that's what it's come to – being judge, jury, and executioner. I feel badly for both the physician, and the shooter. No one goes in and opens fire and is sane. Prayers to every one at John Hopkins.
    And for those of you enjoying the entertainment and cracking jokes – I sure hope you don't need this physician in the future for any health issues YOU may have. Then it wouldn't be so funny, now, would it?

September 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Translation

This happens all the time, people. This is America, not Europe.

September 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TK421

In the last 5 minutes CNN has aired 1) "we are going to get the suspect" and 2) still photos of police sniper positions. Nice job, hope the gunman isn't watching TV.

September 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Translation

No, I'm pretty sure he's busy killing people.

September 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NRMD

Don't blame the people as sick, blame this lawfully screwed up country. We have sick people everywhere but not sick laws. Feel sad when someone shot and be glad, it is not your turn yet.

September 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Concerned Texan

Any attempt at humor at a time like this is pathetic. Hopefully none of your family members with ever have to go through this horrible ordeal. Shame on all of you sickos.

September 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. villa

Wow if u dont care of wat happens in your state, county there mass mudering going right now this minute somewhere in the world alot of people dead, i guess ull care wen its in ur circle, we should grab all those are "comedians" n put them in a real graphic scene, they probaly need a shrink for life.

September 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shelby

98% Black – let's do the math, it's East Baltimore. Hopkins is the only bright spot in that whole run down part of Baltimore. Nothing but Section 8 "victims" sitting around all day.

September 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. exposo

overbilling? malpractice? invasion of privacy? colaboration with the security services? Refusal to provide treatment without insurance coverage? Thyere are many reasons this guy could have been shot. I'm sure shooter felt he had a good reason for doing it and it's not our place to second guess him.

September 16, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • "Racist"

are you kidding me? how about the next time you mess up at your job, someone comes and shoots you??? Oh wait, you probably don't have a job.

September 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Exposo

Oh "RACIST"
      I love the second amendment because it allows me to plug human dog like you.
      Assuming I don't have a job, what kind of animal goes after people because they are unemployed?
      The answer: An animal like you who deserves a quick round through the back of the head in order to improve the species.

September 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lea Ann

It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance that exists in this world. A human being has been shot by another human being. That's all that matters. The race,creed,ethnicity,etc does not matter!!! There are bad people from all races and countries. This world will never be at peace as long as there are beliefs like that still around. May God be with all the families and people involved. My prayers are with all, yes even the shooter because they definitely need them. "Judge not lest ye be judged". God forgives all.

September 16, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |