September 17th, 2010

'Soulmates' Chrissie Hynde, J.P. Jones talk music and love

Chrissie Hynde

Chrissie Hynde and J.P. Jones perform on CNN.

Former "Pretender" Chrissie Hynde tells CNN's Kyra Phillips that J.P. Jones "seduced" her with his singing and songwriting. The collaboration between the two, who are almost 30 years apart, led to a romantic relationship and the formation of "J.P. and Chrissie and the Fairground Boys," whose new album, "Fidelity," is earning accolades from critics and fans.

Watch "J.P. and Chrissie and the Fairground Boys" play on CNN

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Spiff

Former Pretender?

Did Chrissie break up the band?

September 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • mindset

hopefully so – i saw the Pretenders years ago, this witch Chrissie (from the USA) was on a soap box and dissin' everything about the USA – her homeland, her final words were that the USA Sucked! This was at the beginning of the concert – needless to say, never bought another album by the band no longer interested in her and anything she has to say.

September 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kinda Kinks

How old is her kid she had with Ray Davies of The Kinks? They had a little Kink together.
      She sure is a better rocker than all these pretend rocker-wannna-be's of today...all they are is all flash & no substance like Lady Gaga–lady gag me is more like it.

September 17, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

@mindset. She is absolutely a witch. She is good for Akron, my own hometown, but she has the worst personality. I've met her and I know several other people that have met her and the general concensus is that she's offensive, insulting and rude. If you ever see her being nice, it's an act.

September 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

@Kinda Kinks I agree. As Lemmy of Motorhead put it in his autobiography, she doesn't have large breasts or flashy outfits but she manages to attract attention and rock the house at every show. It's refreshing to see a real woman use TALENT and heart to further their music career.

September 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris l

Alot of people didn't like the US of A under GW.

September 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

Chrissy goes cougar!! Love her to death, always have. One of the world's most unique and beautiful voices

September 17, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

oops, spelled her name wrong, that's CHRISSIE!!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. porchiaknows

What is she now, like 60?

September 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

I know she's at least 10 years older than me, and I'm 48. I worked a show for the Pretenders in college back in the early 80s, and one of her crew said she was at Kent State during the shootings.

September 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jane Doe

I love Chrissie Hynde too. She's a fantastic artist but more than that, she has a lot of heart. A deep and passionate person, I'm not surprised she's in love.

September 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Drazul

I miss the Pretenders punk phase. Im glad she's still going.

September 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zane

Me too! 😉

September 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Geoffreyf

I saw her in Concerts in the early 1980's and then a couple of years ago. Her energy and her delivery are undiminished. If you have a chance to hear her in concert, you will get what you paid for. No she is not 60 ... not quite. She can out Rock people half her age, of that you can be assured. She does have a lot of heart, depth and passion. She brings something back which has been lost in popular music.

September 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brass in Pocket

Be happy...you paid your dues many times over.

September 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mark

what is the deal? i click on the video link and it goes to a completely different page. lame!

September 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. L

I loved her music in "Single White Female"

September 17, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. EB

Yea, I remember her from the early 80's. Someone in the UK asked her what could be done to stop global warming and she said "blow up a MacDonalds". So he did. It was in a shopping mall in Milton Keynes. I quit listening to her music after that. She of course denies she said it.

September 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MXD

Greatest female voice in Rock, and she has always been authentic. Not sure about her politics, but I love her music.

September 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scoot

Hire her for American Idol. Id watch that!!!

We dont need no J HO!

September 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jbNYC

The record "Fidelity" is a tribute to Fidel Castro.. good grief! She has smoked way too many doobies.

September 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gr8ful Dude

She's got a one-of-a kind voice. I could not care less about her politics. Saw her in concert last year and she was great. A buddy of mine and I were about six rows back and I swear she made eye contact with us. She has not lost a thing in all these years.

September 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sammy

Good for Chrissie! She is an awesome, classy lady! Can't wait to see her and J.P live next week! Her voice is still amazingly beautiful and Chrissie looks great!

We should all be so lucky to find love! 🙂

September 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |