September 17th, 2010

'Soulmates' Chrissie Hynde, J.P. Jones talk music and love

Chrissie Hynde

Chrissie Hynde and J.P. Jones perform on CNN.

Former "Pretender" Chrissie Hynde tells CNN's Kyra Phillips that J.P. Jones "seduced" her with his singing and songwriting. The collaboration between the two, who are almost 30 years apart, led to a romantic relationship and the formation of "J.P. and Chrissie and the Fairground Boys," whose new album, "Fidelity," is earning accolades from critics and fans.

Watch "J.P. and Chrissie and the Fairground Boys" play on CNN

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Tgonzo

I saw the Pretenders a few years back and Chrissie commented on how old the audience was so I yelled "you're old too!" which she turned and looked at me and smiled. It was cool. She's great.

September 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve-O

Still one of the hottest in Rock today, looks and sounds!

September 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dice

I hate when musicians (?) get political, i.e. Springsteen, Bon Jerki, Bonor, etc. Here's an idea...........if she hates the USA so much, she should leave. Or maybe chop her own head off in protest? Now THAT I'd like to see!

September 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sculptor dad

So we should all be silent and let the Political/Corporate complex do what it wants? I don't want to live in your world 😉

September 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chip

Love or leave it, huh?
      Gee – I've never heard that before.
      Sorry, but here in the USA, you're supposed to be allowed to say what you want.
      If you don't like it – maybe you should go someplace people can't speak out against their own corrupt gov't.

September 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

She's not anti-american so put your shotgun and Bud Ice tallboy down. She dissents with certain policies of the government, chill. To each his own, this isn't your country.

September 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • pixelvt

agreed, just because you are a successful artist, actor, whatever , who cares about you politics, stick you your job, please

September 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • JPIP

she DID leave. she's lived in england since around the mid to late seventies.

September 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. joe

she is a nasty hateful person. Met her once, she wouldn't shake my hand, called her a catch you net tuesday, that got her attention. She offered to hit me, I dropped her record to the ground and stood there with my arms out waiting for her to do it, told her it'd be much easier to be nice to poeple, she called a F.A.G. and stormed off. Yeah, real classy

September 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Joe, maybe calling her that name wasn't the best idea you've ever had, but you're right about her. She is nasty and hateful.

September 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

She walked around and met every single person at the opening of her restaurant. I live in the same building in which she has a flat in Akron. I've stopped her once and asked for autographs, she always obliged happily. Save your hate for a celebrity trainwreck. This woman is REAL.

September 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Translation

Dice: She lives in England mostly and also has a place in Akron. I like that musicians are political!

September 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeepers

I think the term "soulmate" is cheesy. I believe in compatibility, timing, hard work and a little luck where love is concerned. But I'm happy for anyone who, like myself, finds someone they click with and can manage to make it work.

September 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

I never did meet her, never did get to talk politics with her...that would be a great thing to do. Have watched her lots back in the day and always thought her act was great. She's one of the few gals who can wear some leather and not look silly.

September 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NealR2000

The original Pretenders were fantastic. I still play their music. The music since the bad started adding new members has deteriorated. She has made a very good living out of playing the old classics for many years. The audience don't want to hear the new stuff. They only want to hear the early stuff. Music aside, she comes across as a very angry person, who, unsurprisingly, goes through a lot of band-mates, who no doubt have difficulty working with her. I cannot imagine anyone forming an intimate relationship with her. She comes across as being moody and agressive.

September 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chip

I seriously doubt JP "seduced her". Hynde is a very manipulative woman, that's all.
    Women like her thrive on getting younger men and then treating them like crap once they're boy toy is hooked.
    I've met Hynde on three occasions, when i was working as a stage hand.
    She was very nasty and condescending. I can't see how anyone would be attracted to her.

September 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

Your argument of how terrible she is would hold more weight but for the fact you're completely overdramatic. Some people don't care about age in relation to love. If you do, then why read a story on CNN about it?

September 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth

"Very Manipulative Woman"...
      is there another kind?

September 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. InspectorDreyfuss

I like her music, I cant say I like her. I wonder if she knows she's playing a "G" chord in that picture. From interviews I have read she's freely admitted she has no clue regarding what she's playing on the guitar. Self taught and ignorant. Ignorance and hubris combined with "celebrity" can be a dangerous thing. The blind leading the blind....still, as long as someone is willing to listen to her delusional political nonsense, she'll have an audience. So many knucklehead celebrities do.

September 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Acaraho

It's called backing musicians. Many frontmen's fingers don't even touch the strings anymore.

September 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Oh well...

Witch...LOL...we share birtday...BTW..Love Pretenders!

September 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bubba's babe

Thanks Translation...I was going to add that she has lived in London since about 1997 so she doesn't have to leave the country as Dice has suggested. For the most part she already has.
    @ Spiff...the daughter she had with Davies is named Nathalie and is around 27 and the daughter she had with Kerr is around 26.

September 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bubba's babe

Also I don't really care if her attidude is poor or was self taught. Her music rocks and that is all that matters.

September 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. samsteve

She is talented and has stood the test of time. She did it all without wearing meat, having a public meltdown, or showing her goodies. She has real thoughts whether anyone else agrees with them or not she's not afraid to express them. She may not be agreeable but at least she's for real.

September 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. paradoX187

How are they 30 years apart?

September 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |