September 20th, 2010

Denver Broncos wide receiver dies

Kenny McKinley played in eight games for the Broncos as a rookie in the 2009 season.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley has died, according to a statement released by the organization Monday. He was 23.

The NFL team hasn't released information about how McKinley died. Head coach Josh McDaniels will speak to the media at noon on Tuesday, the team said.

McKinley was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft from the University of South Carolina. He attended South Cobb High School in Austell, Georgia.

He played in eight games with the Broncos as a rookie, but was placed on injured reserve before the start of the 2010 season after suffering a knee injury, according to the team.

"Everyone with the Broncos is shocked and saddened by the loss of Kenny McKinley," Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen said in a statement on the Broncos' website. "He was part of the Broncos family and will be greatly missed by our organization. My most heartfelt condolences go out to Kenny's family and friends."

McKinley is at least the third Bronco to have died since 2007. Cornerback Darrent Williams, 24, was fatally shot near downtown Denver, Colorado, on Jan. 1., 2007, and running back Damien Nash, 24, died after collapsing at a charity basketball game later that winter.

Read full story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Colorado • Sports
  1. clint

while reading all this i sharted on myself repeadedly. you are all worthless infidels. yah trick yah.

September 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ladylike

@james: so true.......

September 20, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. GoesAroundComesAround

Wow.Money does not create happiness.One never knows how an individual is feeling.Most people are ungrateful,in different areas.Who are we to judge? I guess when its your own family member,the mind changes.Hopely you guys making the harsh comments will never have to expeience this type of loss.Remember what goes around comes around.A terrible loss.

September 20, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

Could it be a blood clot? Knee Injury? Long shot, but I send my prayers for the family, friends and fans......

September 20, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

Numbaoneballa- Call me crazy, but I have a hard time believing that an African American guy would be the victim of constant racial taunting in an NFL locker room..

September 20, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Prince Sakim

How do I get these brains out of my head? or Dang my brain itches...I'll give it a quick 9mm scratch.

September 20, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. broncogirlinaz

So sorry to hear this sad news. Who is anyone to judge, opinions doesn't matter, and what does Elway
    and his skin color have to do with the loss of a life.
    Please show your respect to his family and friends.
    My prayers are with your family and dearest friends
    Go Broncos!

September 20, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JD

You're all premature as always. I despise all of you, especially our faux Doctor Houses who blindly diagonse a suicide as "Depression" related with no facts only a blip on a news show and a couple sentences during the Monday night game. Pathetic! All you "DEPRESSION" experts go somewhere else, before you infect anymore people with your B.S.

September 20, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prince Sakim

JD...I don't know too many people that blow their brains out due to excessive happiness. Do you?

September 21, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • AKC

Study your statistics. I don't need to be a "Dr. House" to know that in almost all cases of suicide, depression is the root cause.

September 21, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nelson

it makes me feel very unsteady to see an athlete that is able to play in the NFL which has to be in perfect physical heath can just die like that.

Rest in Peace.

September 20, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*whocares

why don't the other thousands of people who killed themselves today have an article??? Alot worse things going on than this. save your sorow and pitty for those that may still have a chance at life and move on. Makes me sick they (and you all) are glorifying this as if it wasn't his own stupid a$$ fault. And for you nay sayers I recently lost a good friend I was in 2 tours in iraq with last 4th of july, kick started a shotgun. But you know what I watched him get put in the ground at arlington and that was that I think he was an idiot for doing it too for the record

September 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • AKC

They don't report on everyone who committed suicide today – but what has happened here can help those feeling similarly understand that it does not have to happen. It is not always a bad thing that the media reports these stories.

September 21, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. juggalo_luvr

Both opinions are right really. Having dealt with severe depression (including postpartum), i know despair well. Meds dont work for everyone. Only you can choose how to percieve life. We all deal with difficult things. Cleaning the house and taking care of kids has you stressed and depressed? Get over it. I do. I have to. No one else is going to take care of my responsibilities and choices for me. Suicide is selfish. I deal with depression everyday, but I love my family enough to consider their feelings more than mine. However, one must realize every person copes differently. Some cant at all. Some are not made to cope with stress. Some can handle anything. "If god meant for us to be the same, we'd all be wearing braces on our legs"

September 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. rick dee

I'm a bronco fan and this team is cursed with a crappy coach now this!!! RIP.. My condolences go out 2 his family and I know he's @ peace and in a better place.

September 20, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • AKC

Whether the coach is good or bad probably had little impact on his decision to kill himself.

September 21, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bamm-Bamm

Oh my god, they killed Kenny!

September 20, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prince Sakim

Nice one Cpl B

September 21, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Appreciate_humor

Sad story, but that was funny!

September 21, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. Fellow 72

I'm sadden by the news I got about Kenny, my prayers goes out to his family and friends. Seem like a bright young man that I had met several times. Ppl judge others when they have nothing going on in their lives. He will be missed by those who knew him well. Please spare his family the comments and have some sympathy for them.

September 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Prince Sakim

Halo Reach is not as good as I though it would be. I got the special edition too.

September 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |