September 20th, 2010

Denver Broncos wide receiver dies

Kenny McKinley played in eight games for the Broncos as a rookie in the 2009 season.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley has died, according to a statement released by the organization Monday. He was 23.

The NFL team hasn't released information about how McKinley died. Head coach Josh McDaniels will speak to the media at noon on Tuesday, the team said.

McKinley was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft from the University of South Carolina. He attended South Cobb High School in Austell, Georgia.

He played in eight games with the Broncos as a rookie, but was placed on injured reserve before the start of the 2010 season after suffering a knee injury, according to the team.

"Everyone with the Broncos is shocked and saddened by the loss of Kenny McKinley," Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen said in a statement on the Broncos' website. "He was part of the Broncos family and will be greatly missed by our organization. My most heartfelt condolences go out to Kenny's family and friends."

McKinley is at least the third Bronco to have died since 2007. Cornerback Darrent Williams, 24, was fatally shot near downtown Denver, Colorado, on Jan. 1., 2007, and running back Damien Nash, 24, died after collapsing at a charity basketball game later that winter.

Read full story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Colorado • Sports
  1. B-Dog

I've lost 2 friends due to Suicide and the fact is that Suicide is the ULTIMATE selfish move.... sure YOU don't have any pain anymore but you leave everyone wondering why.... thinking they missed the signs of you needing help.... leaving your family in shambles, your friends wondering if there was something they could have done. Even just typing about it makes me think of my 2 friends. "Orlando" hung himself in his garage after a normal day at work,leaving his wife to find his body and "Maria" went home after a baseball game and hung herself in her bathroom leaving her 3 year old son and husband. They should have asked for help! This kid Kenny should have asked for help!

September 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prince Sakim

He did ask for help...he asked Dr. Glock.

September 21, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. SK

RIP – All my condolences 😦

September 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Translation

It was a suicide. Shot himself in the head. It's already been reported earlier today. can't get the genie back in the bottle on this one.

September 21, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Disturbedbyall

Im sorry to his family and loved ones. For his passing and for what im gonna say. For all of u who r just plain ignorant and rude, his passing doesnt matter to you or anyone, not even me. The only ppl who matter ARE HIS FAMILY, LOVED ONES, AND FRIENDS! PPL WHO LOVE AND CARE FOR HIM AND ABOUT HIM!! All of u who cant be polite or nice should just keep ur opinions to urselves. Cuz no one wants to see or hear it really. HAVE SOME RESPECT!!

September 21, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Michael Truong

why is life so short?

September 21, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Stephanie

He was #11 at South Carolina first. My thoughts are with the family, friends, and fans.

September 21, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Artie

This is so sad!! If this was a suicide, you really have to wonder why such a young man, with everything to gain, would take his own life! There must have been something really wrong that he felt he couldn't reconcile. It's just so sad!!!

September 21, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. jan

I extend my deepest condolences to the McKinley family. To everyone who are posting condolence messages, I say thank you, but to those of you who are being rude, please stop. This is a young man – a son, a father, and a friend who has just dies, and who are any of us to judge him for what he did – if he even did it. The only one that can judge him is God! None of you know what may have been going on in his life. He was just here in South Carolina at the USC vs. GA game and it is said that he was his usual smiling, happy self! Who knows? Please have respect!

September 21, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Help Here

Hey guys, will you visit SaveStan.ORG a friend of mine with 4 young babies is fighting for his life..... Thanks

September 21, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dana

Although I didn't personally know this young man I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area where he grew up. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends on such a great loss. I pray that God will give you strength in the days ahead as you prepare to celebrate his young life and the legacy that he made while here on earth. God bless!

September 21, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. jenky

Suicide – a permanent solution to a temporary problem. He was a weak minded man

September 21, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. PARROT

SALMONELLA ?

September 21, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Stefan S

RIP Kenny McKinley.

September 21, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. fantismo

Oh Lord Jesus! Pray for us and keep us in your gracious loving care.

September 21, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. 2bj

...I have lost 2 close friends and a step sister to suicide...problems whether they are mental,physical, or passion decisions lead to this...most of the time it is a very selfish act...someone trying to prove a point or someone that could easily be talked out of it with a little attention...most of the time...Selfish...cardinal sin...

September 21, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
    • AKC

I am truly sad that you have not seen the reasons that drive people to commit suicide. Is it a selfish act? Most likely. Do you think anyone who commits suicide or attempts to commit suicide realizes that? I know that the two times I tried, I thought I was doing those around me a favor. The act makes no sense. Why judge this young man? Instead have empathy for his family.

September 21, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |