September 20th, 2010

Woman in acid-attack hoax charged with theft

Prosecutors have charged Bethany Storro, who admitted throwing a corrosive liquid on her own face, with three counts of theft from people or companies acting as good Samaritans, Clark County, Washington, officials said Monday.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • Washington state
  1. Tarig

Why punish her? Revenge or "to educate" the public not to take "good samaritan" money? This is not a Taxpayer's issue, if some Samaritan paid her money "buyers be war%$#@". We all pay in silent for our stupidity sometimes, why not "good doers"? .
    Society, capitalist society should draw the line, or we will end up like the former Soviet Union, we can't afford more bailout, my God are we ailing out good doers now? They gave her their money freely, let's spend our money wisely for a change.

September 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dawn

Yeeaaaah. Let's feel sorry for her, and her 'mental condition'. Her mental condition is that she's a manipulative attention wh0re, just as much as my mental condition is such that people like her disgust me, and should be charged. She wasted peoples' time and resources, and made others afraid of nothing.

Feel sorry for her like you feel sorry for the poor women who murder their children. There's OBVIOUSLY something going on in their crazy heads, but how sorry do we feel for them? Or the guys who habitually beat their wives- they can't help it, they've got too much testosterone and not enough brain cells.

Anyone who's going to do something crazy like that has something wrong with them. You HAVE to have something wrong with you to murder another human, to kill your child, kill yourself, cause injury to yourself, etc. But don't throw the pity party for someone who's looking for it.

She'll be on the next season of The Hills!

September 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tarig

If there's anybody who is crazy IMHO is the taxpayers, she f&%$2d her face, some idiots paid her money, why Taxpayers money should be spent prosecuting, jailing and prob. public defeder? Why should I pay for this sh^%$#t? I did not do anything wrong to pay my hard earned money to a cop, lawyer, judge, prison guard etc? Let the stupid nut go.

September 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RoderDodger

And I hope they charge her for every medical service she received.

September 20, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bert Friedman

Well mostly this just proves how full of hate and how quickly people in this country are ready to;
    Oppress, blame, condemn, ridicule......................
    When you decide to start extending your hand to lift the tragic up and show the broken ones love things will get better.
    And if we continue the path we are on then we will have hell on earth.
    Obviously she has issues. Maybe some charges will help to prevent copy cats and make others think before acting on bad behavior. But the only way to move forward is to help her and her family.
    Jesus laid his hand on the sick and the lonely so they would feel loved and invoke the inner healing we all have.
    Not because plasma rays came out of his fingers.
    There are a few kind comments here, but mostly there is shallowness and hate.

September 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe Masters

I think she said she was a Christian. That would explain a lot. Christians aren't known for being smart.

September 20, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tarig

RoderDodger,
    Guess who'll foot the bill? You and me. As long as we're stolding the stick in middle, ppl will find a room to wiggle, from both side, bleeding heart liberal or God loving Samaritan, we are either holding ppl responisble for their own choices or they are free AND responisble for your choices.

September 20, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chris

I think she is delusional/borderline personality disordered and in her impaired thinking combined w/her religion, and need of attention, decided she would claim God saved her to get attention from her religious community. Just my 2 cents...

September 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tarig

Bert Friedman
    Love all you want, BUT not on my expenses, Love costs money money friend otherwise I will be sleeping with .... Monika Lwinsky tonight

September 20, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tarig

My God, now psychologists wants to cash on on this, I dont care why I really don't I am not here to fix society, I just want to pay my mortgage my God, who cares why, either stone the bi^%$@h or let her go, save money or the Chinease will be in our ass&% in 5 years.

September 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Steveo

What more could they do to punish this woman, I mean she doused herself with acid, I can't think of any thing much worse then that, she don't need to be prosecuted, she needs mental health help, this is a cry for help if I have ever seen one.

September 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe Masters

@ Tarig: If we "let the stupid nut go", then she's likely to put acid on someone else's face next time. This is why we have tax dollars, to help punish idiots like this.

September 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andrew

LOL!!!! I thought I had problems!

September 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nemesis Nexus

THAT'S IT?? What about filing a false police report and perjury?! Her whole story read like an abstract article on Manchausans (a mental disorder where people injure themselves or make themselves ill to garner sympathy, emotional support and oftentimes financial support as well) if she was doing all these other things BEFORE hand WHY wasn't she already committed?? Here's the problem; she ADMITTED that she lied, MOST people who are actually mentally ill that way don't have a good enough grasp on reality to acknowledge that they did it to themselves (nor do they wish to.) Such an admission brings the fantasy to an end and demonstrates that they DID in fact have a handle on what was going on – at least long enough to get the acid, choose a location, have a story ready AND act on it when there WERE NO OTHER PEOPLE AROUND TO CONTEST THE STORY – and that they are NOT as 'mental' as people like to think! However the EED/TI (extreme emotional disturbance/temporary insanity) defense is one of the most effective and abused defenses ever created! This person has been manipulating EVERYONE from the EMT's to the Police, to the Media and to anyone else who would give her the attention! People like this get on my nerves because they use their ability to manipulate so well that even AFTER making the confession they STILL have people on their side saying “oh well it's not their fault they're ill!” To them I say “ It IS their fault, and the fault of her family if she was doing all these other self destructive things and they didn't take her to court to have her declared a danger to herself and committed! Responsibility is a common bond that we all share and the (truly) mentally ill are NOT exempt from it. The REALLY mentally ill will also tell you that they don't like people like this getting away with it because once SHE is labeled anyone sharing that same disease will automatically be branded with the ability to do the same thing she did or something similar and that is not the case! It's hard enough to be mentally ill and a contributing member of society when people like this person pull crap like this and then claim to be mentally ill! I don't believe her as fast as I could drop her off the roof of the Empire State Building! I say throw the book at her (as hard as they can based on the charges brought against her.) and send the message “DO THE CRIME, DO THE TIME!” then maybe the OTHER idiots who do, or might be thinking about doing, something like this WON'T!

September 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liam

Nemesis Nexus – OK, alright. Let's see if we can step away from that angry place and center on where we are right now. Feel the room around you, sense the shadows outside the window and breathe slowly and deeply. Drink in the air and light and exhale frustration, negativity and anger. Now....if we're in a good place I'd like to mention what a self-important, intolerant, pedantic and petulant waste of oxygen you are. Wow! Someone really needs to develop some focus in life and, dare I say, get a friend or two right after your first group meeting and have cookies, coffee and such .....and you really need to do this, moving out of your parents home is essential unless you're like 12 or something. Show,... don't tell. Put more behind your opinion that a hit and run on a CNN story.

September 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Miss Maven

Oh, the irony. Claims to have done this to bring people back to religion and restore faith...all the while holding out eager, greedy little hands to charity groups. I'm disgusted. Hope she enjoyed her week's worth of sympathy and that they now prosecute to the fullest extent!

September 20, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |