September 20th, 2010

Woman in acid-attack hoax charged with theft

Prosecutors have charged Bethany Storro, who admitted throwing a corrosive liquid on her own face, with three counts of theft from people or companies acting as good Samaritans, Clark County, Washington, officials said Monday.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Crime • Washington state
  1. Tarig

Why we -the people- choose to pay for mental illness but not for hunger or housing, BESIDES, I dont remember anyone asking me to make that choice. Being crazy, being hungry, sick with no issurance etc, we've got to stop and think, are these soiceity issues or individual responsbilities?

September 20, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tarig

@Joe Master

If this nut case throw acid onto somebody face we can prosecute her for what she did, this legal system is going out of hand, a crime is a crime REGARDLESS of why. DWI, NUT case, WEAPONS whatever, we either have freedom or we don't ... can we choose to be nut? Of course if you ask me, the line should be drawn when we hurt others.... somebody disfigure themselves and other "good doers" pay them money, I dont seee the crime here, sorry I must be over worked to pay for all this shi%$#@T

September 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Masters

If you think no crime was committed here, and that all that happened was she hurt herself, that's pretty nutty too. You don't seem to think that money should ever be spent, not even to make sure criminals are punished. Do you ever buy a new pair of underwear, or is that not a justifiable expense? Seriously dude.

September 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. kenjisant

I'm glad she's been charged. Not only did she waste the police's time and money, she falsely accused a black woman of doing it. Susan Smith wannabe.

September 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tarig

kenjisant\

Problem is ... it is NOT the police time and money, they prob. put overtime, it is TAXPAYERS money, not the police.... does anybody here pay taxes?

September 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Name*kenn

She bought sunglasses that same day and wore them.
    How convienant. No eye damage . Kinda shows intent to me.

September 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

Leave her alone. I've never understood why people are so eager to punish the people who need HELP...not necessarily punishment. Is it the system....the public fury for a villian...ignorance...lack of empathy, forget about sympathy...ravenous media???

September 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jb

You people are stupid!leave her alone. its just like any ni–er who takes your money.and no dumba–.shes not a republican but a demobutkississingcrat. So there you go. f off

September 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kyle

Well whoever threw acid in this woman's face needs to be brought to justice. I'm willing to bet you this was an act of terrorism. If Bush hadn't started a war with half the Muslim world, then I bet you attacks like this wouldn't happen. Goes to show when idiots vote idiots in to office.

September 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ty

What this woman has done is very egregious. As a black woman, I am so sick and tired of people who want to blame blacks for everything that is wrong with this country. Enough already! I'm a hard working, Masters degree educated black woman who has never committed a crime...not even a traffic ticket. So there you have it. Yes we do exist! This crazy woman needs to be thrown UNDER the jail. She should be ordered to pay back every red cent she stole from gullible people who fell for this lie. From the moment she came out with this lie, my friends and I all knew she was lying. If a story doesn't make sense...then it's probably not true.

September 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • dg

I totally agree with you. As a black woman, I was deeply offended that she created such a hurtful and dangerous lie. Shame on her!!!

September 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chizzy D

well said

September 23, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jwodi

Yes, the police have every right to charge this woman. I still feel bad for her. We all make mistakes. Her mistakes have resulted in her being permenantly disfigured and belng maligned in the public eye. She wounded herself for terrible reasons, and now all she has to show for it are life-long scars and the hatred of millions of people who don't even know her. She has major problems. She was stupid. The rest of her life will be defined by this stupidity. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that her suffering ought to be punishment enough.

September 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SecretME

I am wondering how mentally ill she really is??? ACID was not used, a liquid cleanser was. She knew the difference and she also knew exactly what she was doing. She will probably get a slap on the wrists, and a movie deal out of this. Reality TV is now all the rave. We should all just exercise our rights and change the channel.

September 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tarig

We need to separate crime from cause, you kill somebody you r either sent to death row or life, REGARDLESS of why. WHY can be a mitigating factor on the sentencing phase. If a nut case hurt somebody else, being nuts should never make him/her innocent, it might -may be even should- reduce their punishment but wont make him/her innocent. We could save a lot of money there.
    As society, we want to beleive in God who most clain "has a plan" but yet they want to interfer with his "plan".

September 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. s&m

I would donate to lindsay lohan before some chump black person. so f- off

September 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wanda

Wasn't there a woman in Arizona that this same thing happened to not long ago? Was that a hoax too?

September 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tarig

Bottom line is; no crime comitted against society, a nut case hurt herself and claimed a blk person did it, a "good samaritan" gave her money, for racial or for God I don't care, the question is why should tax payers pay for this shi&%$@T? If I am AL-Sharmpton, I would go after those Samaritans and claim that they encourage white women to cash on false accusation of blk men
    BUT hell no, tax payers money should not be spent, those cops need to focus on real crimes.

September 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |