September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. BD70

Sounds like Velma has been reading too many comments on CNN's message boards. In regards to Kiran and his student loan dilemma. Working full time and going to school part time and pay the loans off before taking on more probably would have been a better option. Takes longer but doesn't sink you in debt. Just a thought there sonny.

September 21, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Know2Much

I agree that working and going to school part time is a better option. This is what I did. It took longer for me to graduate, but I appreciated what I had worked for and had no debt when I finished.

September 21, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Oliver Z

I think it was Bob Marley who said something like: "The forces that want to divide us do not sleep. So why should we?". If anything in this country is going to change it is not Obama who will do it alone. It is us. The most important change America needs should happen within ourselves.

If we believe in not waiting for a government to solve our problems, then we will do better. Obama can help a bit ease the situation, but it is only us who will move forward. Forget the corporations that ship jobs overseas. Let us create our own businesses and fight unemployment by ourselves. But especially, let us all help each and every other so we don't depend on the cruelty of the banks which today hold us all back.

Let us fight the bigotry of some by showing examples of not tolerance, but of actual love for other human beings no matter their color, religion or gender or orientation. Politicians can say all that they want. They can tell us to hate eachother everyday, they can tell us that the man at the helm is a monster or call some of our human brothers parasites. But if we show them the real America they will become silent and in shame. "Let us lead by the power of example". When we have no money or we have no jobs or political power, we can still lead everyone else here and in the world by example, by being the most compassionate, most ingenious and most adventurous human beings we can be.

September 21, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill in Florida

In some cases it works to complete a degree over many years; however, in the case of an advanced degree, you have time limits. Often, the limit is seven years. In some cases, it's less time. My feeling is that you should try to pay for as much as possible without taking a loan. You should also check into whether or not your company will support you through your degree program. If you're gaining skills that will benefit your company, you will be much more likely to receive help. Finally, you should take a loan if necessary but pay it off as soon as possible. Do not wait 30 years to pay it off. In that case, you'll pay far more in interest than you even took out. That may have changed since the government took over school loans again, but it is always good to pay off a loan as soon as you possibly can.

September 21, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Edgar

In regards to the student loans, it's not necessarily the total debt that is the issue (although the cost of education has been skyrocketing and not keeping pace with the possible incomes after graduation), but specifically that INTEREST RATES for school loans are in the 6.8 to 8.5% range. Whereas the rest of the interest rates have gone down, the student loan rates have actually gone UP. It used to be the interest rates for student loans were indexed on the 90 Day T-Bill and could be consolidated into a fixed rate at the T-bill rate+1% (or something like that). This means that if you took out a student loan before 2006, you would have a loan with only 1.87% interest rate. That is FAIR and acceptable and balances the cost of education with the need to have an a reasonable repayment. However, all studedents that take out loans AFTER 2006 are being screwed into those high rates of 6.8 to 8.5%!!! This is what I'm not happy with Obama about, he really has done NOTHING to allevaite the student loan burden (and don't mention the income based repayment plans, because those actually put you into negative amortization and further INTO debt!).

September 21, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

The problem is that once you get that advanced degree you are taxed more, thus negating any extra you get for your hard work. Student loan payments should be tax deductible, after all it is that investment that allows one to make more. In essence it is a cost of doing business.

September 21, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Oliver Z.
      I can't say how much I agree with you. Obama, no matter how great of a president he may be, cannot fix the US. No president or Congress can. And this is why I am so disturbed by how many people put all their hope and trust into one human being, especially one they know so little about. Even putting that much hope into Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been a mistake, but at least then you have a track record to go on. Obama may become a great president in US history. I doubt it, but he may. Regardless, Obama cannot fix the US. Only you and I can do that, and it's about time we get to work.

September 21, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

The student loan situation is a nightmare that has been exascerbated by democrats. Education in this country needs REAL reform. We're still based on an early 1900s educational model. This is because many groups make A LOT of money on the current "status quo" and the special interest groups involved with keeping the status quo are attached at the hip to the democrat party. Then, you figure in the fact that the democrat party would lose A LOT of its power if those who support the current "status quo" peeled.

Lastly, what's the point of having a degree if everyone else has the same kind of degree? Does it justify the cost of college? And why are college costs so high? Many of these reasons lie in the fact that many colleges, both directy and indirectly, are attached with the special interest groups who want to maintain the "status quo". Why does the cost of public universities continually increase without justifying those increases with better graduation rates or test scores? Simple, politics.

September 21, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Anyone who believes that anything earned by getting an advanced degree is lost to the additional tax liability as a result of that degree is just speaking non sense and has not gotten an advanced degree. Sure going from a starving student to a first job looks bad, but once in the system working a real career that MBA will increase you long term earning potential including ALL compensation besides base salary. You will most definitely come out ahead of any additional taxation. Besides that advanced degree helps you understand how to reduce your tax liability.

September 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I think he is an idiot! And even bigger idiot then the last President we had. So does many people who voted for him!

September 21, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@BD70: You have done something that I thought was impossible. You have started a debate on a forum that has led to intelligent answers and a real discussion.
      @Oliver Z: I think you have brought up some very good points. I am tired of people looking to the government for answers. This nation was built by individuals, not politicians. We need to step up to the plate and help solve the problem. I listened to a speaker once talk about how we can grow our economy by starting small businesses. I agree with him. Small businesses still make up a huge part of our economy and we can harness that power to create jobs and keep them here in America. It also felt good to see someone talk about leading by example. Race has been such a hot topic lately...but we all (white, black, hispanic, etc) need to rise above it and show others the power of compassion and love.
      @Edgar: My wife and I are lucky that we have good interest rates on our loans. I can't image what would have happened if we had 6-8% interest on our loans. Obama should be doing something about these sky rocketing rates before more people flounder under a mountain of debt.

September 21, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • objectiveguy

Sounds to me like Velma is starting to gag on the Obama kool aid, and just doesn't realize it yet. As more and more Americans wake up to the fact that we made the wrong choice in electing him president, the dissatisfaction is bound to grow for everyone, except for those with their heads still buried too deeply in the sand!

September 21, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Carter Sherline

I don't believe there will ever be "a card on the table that shuts the discussion". The President's detractors will never be satisfied. They are either racist or conservatives who will never be happy until we go to a past that never was. Obama is doing every thing right. We were in a deep hole, the deepest this country has ever been in, including the Great Depression (the safety net FDR created and LBJ strengthened kept us from realizing how bad things really were under the last 3 GOP administrations), and getting out will take a long time. Get out of the President's way and let him fix this country as he has been doing.

September 21, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • KitKat

@Charlie:

Student loan interest is tax deduction to AGI already. Just make sure to pay attention to your 1098 that you get every year from your lender and file at least a 1040A, and you'll get that deduction. There isn't much more that really should be done on that end anyways. You take the money out, be responsible and pay them back, plain and simple.

September 21, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

BD: the sad thing about your statement is that working full-time and going to school part-time is not supposed to be the primary option. That's supposed to be what you do when you start a family and only THEN decide to go back to school. The reality is that educational costs have skyrocketed in this country, just like health care. And this feeds into the question about the American Dream. The American Dream is not just about being free or owning a home... it's about being able to accomplish your goals because it's all accessible and affordable in this country, which sadly is no longer the case. University should not cost more per year than median home income, but in many cases it does.

September 21, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • CD

Oliver Z, I was with you on all points except forgetting about the American companies who ship jobs overseas. We should NOT, forget that. We should punish then by taxing every overseas position, and just as importantly, tax them for the companies they hire (as a mask) who ship those jobs overseas. And if they don't like it, then let them leave the US. THEN we can create new companies to fill those voids, which hire AMERICAN workers and give THEM the tax breaks. Maybe we can slowly put Wal-Mart out of business (who btw, sells mostly junk manufactured in other countries).

September 21, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • AnnabelLee

Working full time and going to school part time was not an option at the law school Mr. Brassfield and I attended. You went full-time or not at all. Most of us had received scholarships and some of us supplemented that money by working part-time; that's what I did (I had also saved some money ahead of time). Still, I and several of my fellow newly-minted lawyers are carrying debt loads in excess of $100,000.

When we first sent out our admissions applications in the mid-00s, it was long-standing wisdom that a law degree was a guaranteed ticket to a brighter future. Yes, you'd be saddled with debt, but you could pay it back relatively quickly because lawyers make a lot of money and there will always be a need for lawyers. Then everything turned around while we were in school. I saw the graduating class ahead of me still looking for jobs at the time I was getting ready to graduate. Friends in my class had their offers rescinded, some were told they had to wait a year or two before they could start, and others – wanting to work – agreed to work for 1/2 of what they normally would make. For people graduating a year after me, like Mr. Brassfield, the jobs just didn't exist anymore. The conventional wisdom is no longer.

September 21, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • BD70

@Dan – I don't disagree. Sad thing when a person cannot attend a University full time without burying themselves in debt. But with the cost of higher education working full time to pay down the debt while continuing may be a smart way to go given current situation. Unless you are guaranteed a job when you graduate. As was said before...some companies will subsidize the cost if it applies to what they need. My company when I went to school paid 100% for a grade C or better. That may be a thing of the past but its worth a thought. I do feel the financial pain theses students are feeling.

September 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Bobby W

Can anybody explain why the government, municipalities and corporations can call bonds and re-issue them at a lower rate and homeowner's can re-finance their mortgages to lower rates but students can't re-finance consolidated student loans ? Our Sallie Mae loans are locked in at 6.75% and current rates are at 3% but we can't re-finance.

September 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • C mitch

I think its funny the ticker symbols are all up while he is awnsering complaints about a bad economy. Its better than it was 2 years ago ill tell you that.

September 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ana

velma spoke with an undisciplined tongue-just because the camera was there and she had a mic with which to vent her dissatisfaction. I heard her comment again on cnn this morn and she pretty much took back what she said but it's too late, she'll be used as a poster child for Obama haters. The American people are ignorant when it comes to politics and economics. Anybody in their right mind should know you cannot undo 8 years of entrenched economic policies in a year or 2. In fact, the effects of the previous administration always reverberates for a minimum of 2 years into the next administration. Further, all these people who are losing "hope in the message for change" have to realize that one person cannot effect change-i don't care if he is the Pres. The Pres isn't the only one who runs the country anyway. Just like it took a mass effort to elect the President, it takes mass movement to effect change.

September 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loren

The better answer is to be poor and obtain financial aid that isn't available to the Middle Class. What has happened is that the hurdles for financial aid have been raised while the income that supports such hurdles doesn't go as far as it once did, so the Middle Class is once again bearing a larger burden than any other class of people. More focus should be on supporting those who "earn" it through academic performance and less on income of parents.

September 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

To Carter Sherlene: you are such a fool, do you really think that reasons for not likeing the president can be sumed up with, they are either racist or conservative? F off you freaking idiot. I'm neither racist, nor am I conservative, I'm a nuetral party, I go for who ever can do the job best. While I still think Obama was the best, considering the choices we had, I do not think he is a very good president. I think any president, and congress, that takes personal responsibilty out of the equation is a fool, and will do nothing but run this country into the ground. When I hear stupid people like you talk, it makes me sick, it's people like you that ruin this great country, with your small minded, hand fed beliefs. Your though is not original, you are just repeating, like a parrot, what you read, what your friends and co -workers say, without actually taking the time to actually listen to what people are complaining about. Typical fool.

September 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • current student

BD70 & Know2Much- Some degrees are not as demanding as others. Nursing students would not be able to go part-time as classes expire over a certain period of time. Also, having a part-time status removes some from qualifying for grants and scholarships. If I were a sloppy C average student with only just enough ambition, I'd probably opt to go part-time, too and spend the 8 years in school rather than the 4.

September 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • cobra129

@Oliver Z
      How about more individual responsibility for your own actions, more individualism, less dependency, moving away from government dependence which is far more cruel that the banks. At least you can get away and be free of the banks, once hooked, you're never free of the government, especially this one.

September 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Well Said BD, I've seen plenty of people take on tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt to get a degrees that didn't require a lot of study or thought. And then they were genuinely surprised when there was no job at the end of the rainbow. Top grads in most Serious fields (Medicine, Finance, Law, Engineering, Education, etc.) are still getting jobs but I have little sympathy for the party hound who graduates with a 2.4GPA and then whines that there aren't any jobs out there.

September 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • BD70

@current student – you have a very good point. Depending on what your goals are in the academics. Let me rephrase what I said about working full time and school part time. If at all possible work to pay down the debt to keep it under control. That could mean full time for a year...work the summer to pay down the debt. That could mean full time student for two years and take a year off to work to pay down the debt. I understand that options are limited for some in how they can attend universities.

September 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • John R

I don't like the Democratic party. I'm not a Repub, but even less a Dem. I don't like Obama. However, how can anyone complain to the president about their student loans? That infers one of two things: You either want, expect or are asking for Federal intervention into how universities operate, or, you subconsciously know a president can't do anything about it, but just want to vent some frustrations. This is one thing you cannot blame the President on (BTW Dems, you did a lot of this venting when Bush was in, so now you know how it feels to see your supported candidate face impossible demands too.)

September 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eddieboy

To Brad: As with so many Obama detractors you don't communicate actions that should be taken, instead you just say that too many or the wrong steps have been taken? How convenient. I'm moderate as well and from where I sit the Obama administration has accomplished a number of things to get things moving in the right direction again. This in contrast to the party of "no" who if left to their own devices would have likely driven our nation into another "great depression". Why don't you clue us all in as to what the appropriate path is here.

September 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby W

I have enjoyed reading the blogs but the one thing that everybody seems to have in common – regardless of political affiliation – is that government screwed it up. Politcians get elected by promising the world and funding their promises with tax payer money. We – the American people – are taxed on almost everything: income, capital gains, dividends, interest, property, cell phones, gasoline, car registration, sales tax (in some states), parking etc. The list goes on and on. If all politcians had term limits then maybe they would serve the American people and not their self interests.

September 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dennis

"I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational."

Ditto dude!

September 21, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Henry Miller

If you want to be led over an economic cliff, yeah, Obama is the man to follow.

September 21, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Whats the Dow at Henry? Moron. People like you are the REAL problem with America. Obama is doing a good job. The Republicans are just getting in the way, as usual.

September 21, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • IEK

Economic cliff? 4 consecutive quarters of GDP growth, decreasing unemployment, and nearly 750,000 private sector jobs created so far this year is falling off a cliff? Seems more like a rise to me, but whatever.

September 21, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • DB5987

HenryMiller, people who failed high school economics should not be trolling news forums in a vain attempt to get anyone to listen to them. Why don't you take your copy of Ayn Rand to a college campus and preach with it like you're one of those wackjob evangelists. That's the only way you get a viewpoint like that across, because logic most certainly will not convince anyone of its "merit".

September 21, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • bryan

I think he has ram-rodded his agenda down our throats.

September 21, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Red

What planet are you on? Have you looked around lately? This is a DISASTER and it’s going to get a LOT worse.

September 21, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Zootrerpust

Heny Miler, do you really think it is Obama leading us over a financial cliff? It was the last Republican administration that announced the collapse of our economy, not Obama. Since Obama took office, the unemployment rates of continuously improved. What is it with you guys? Do you have a creed that prohibits the consideration of facts when you formulate your views? This whole mindless tea bagger movement and the Obama-is-a-Kenyan-and-a-Muslim crap stems from a combination of stupidity and racism swirling among a population that subscribes to the theory that political views are best and clearest when they are based on the bedrock of fact-free fiction.

September 21, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Alittle skeptical

Really? What do you feel makes him a great leader? I agree that he is a great orator and can inspire people with his speaches but so could others from our history and they weren't necessarily good leaders

September 21, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

you must be blind and deaf

September 21, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Paula Diane

Good for you! I am Canadian and we are so thankful for President Obama.. he is a fine leader. If more people supported him instead of railing against him.. things would work in harmony and work out. Working with someone for change and showing unification works.. so thanks Dennis..good man 🙂

September 21, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • John Kim

Seems like everyone on this board does not research anything they are saying. Both Democratic and Republican, conservative and liberal posters here are all wrong. This is why we are all screwed up because we hear one thing from FOX and the other group hears one thing from MSNBC and the other group only listens to who ever they are affiliated with and then makes assumptions and call it fact.
      You guys are all sheep when it comes to topics like unemployment, spending, trade, deficit, education, foreign affairs and taxes.

September 21, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • TwM

Inspirational leader??? on what Planet.
      This is the most divisive President ever. When over 53% of the populace disfavors the Presidents policies you have a divide. This divide can be easily repaired by Obama, but he will ned help. We need to remove the Democrat majority from Congress and the Senate so the President can do what he preached..work with both sides. With a Dem majority he is being led astray by the Pelosi's and Reids he feels compelled to follow their fancies instead of his heart.

September 21, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • dct

Hitler was inspirational (and no I'm not comparing Obama to Hitler). It takes a lot more than inspiration to lead a country. Blind faith in a leader, merely because he's inspirational to the masses is a recipe for disaster. One has to look at the policies and determine whether or not they are good for the country, and unfortunately, it seems most folks have lost the ability to think for themselves.

September 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • FatSean

Obama's fault is still giving credence to the insane claims and dishonest requests for "bipartisanship" from the Republicans and their parasitic host the Tea Baggers. Don't get fooled again!

September 21, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • CD

Poor Henry Miller, a man who doesn't know any better than to follow leaders off cliffs. Try thinking for yourself. Remember we didn't have to go to war in the middle east either. No problem following that?

September 21, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

@Mr. Zootrerpust: You are a liar. http://data(dot)bls(dot)gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet?request_action=wh&graph_name=LN_cpsbref3

Replace the (dot)s with um, dots.

September 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

@Fred: The DOW isn't the economy.

September 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • disenchanted

Inspirational? No. Let's find somebody who believes in America, not government. Somebody who believes in liberty, not collectivism. Somebody who believes that individuals will overcome with less interference. Read Obama's 2 books and you will realize that he believes anybody that has achieved the American dream deserves to give more to the government. He's a collectivist. He's not right for America.

Unemployment, underemployment, consumer confidence, everything points to failed policy. Even our "recovery" has been anemic and almost non-existent.

September 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Engloid

@IEK – What are you talking about? Unemployment is NOT decreasing! It is at the highest it has been since the 60's....at 9.6%!! 36 states lost jobs last month.

GDP has had 4 consecutive quarters of growth? You obviously aren't doing anything but listening to Obama's speeches. It's going down!! http://www.tradingeconomics.com/Economics/GDP-Growth.aspx?Symbol=USD

Manufacturing jobs lost last month were 27,000. Like it or not, manufacturing is the roots of an economy. If it fails, the entire system will eventually fail. You have to have a product to sell ont he world market. Just look at areas in the middle east that have terrible average living conditions...but they have a ton of money in the country because they have one ptoduct to sell on the world market...oil. If we do not produce a product, we will fail!!!

You have been drinking that kool aid again. Please try a strong dose of reality for a change.

September 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in SA

I think it's telling that Ted out-and-out admitted that the group was throwing him softball questions. I'll quote: "But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope."

This wasn't a "Town Hall" with a cross section of average citizens, this was CNBC hand picking a favorable group of supporters lobbing him talking-points inspired questions to allow him to spew his personal propaganda and self defense under the cover of a "Town Hall". And he still couldn't manage to hit it out of the park.

September 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

You are drunk on kool-aid or can't think straight. Obama is an obamanation for the USA. Personally, I don't want the NWO or my freedoms being trampled on.

September 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DUH

So was Adolf Hitler from the past, and Hugo Chavez in the present, two people Obama admires.

September 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • calitaxpayer

So do the banks and insurance companies. Thanks Obama! Whoops, it's supposed to be the republicans who are supposedly all about bailing out wallstreet. Let me change that to thanks for the new roads, bridges and energy infrastructure from the first "stimulus" Obama!

September 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in SA

calitaxpayer, of the near trillion dollars spent on "stimulus", less than 10% went to infrastructure. Pretty pitiful considering the "Recovery Act" was sold as an infrastructure dominated stimulus so that Americans would buy into the Dems' agenda-driven, political thank you filled boondoggle of wasted taxpayer money.

September 21, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

Inspirational to his congressional sheep. When 38% of the population supports a measure, and you go ahead and do it anyway, that's not Inspirational to those people. I will say you can't blame O for the current financial issues – nor his predecessor. Clinton is the one that opened up the US to things like Chinese manufacturing and Indian outsourcing. If you want your job back, you'll have to go across seas.

September 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • asher

Lol...after reading the comments...you can really see the Obama haters have the best one liners...but that's all they are..one liners of hate....If you all could formulate an intelligent retort, we would take you more seriously.

September 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • IEK

@Engloid – The problem is you seem to think you measure the economy by looking at individual statistics within a very confined time. Yes 9.6% is high, but that's just a single plot point. Wow, it's higher than in the 60's? I bet it's higher than parts of the 70's, 80's, and 90's too. It's also lower than the ~9.7% peak under Reagan, so by your logic the economy hasn't changed any since 1983. Nevermind the enormous swings in unemployment and economic activity between the two. The decrease in the unemployment I was referring to wasn't in the 60's. The unemployment level peaked last year just over 10% and has since been working its way down. Due to the way the unemployment is calculated, you'll see month to month oscillations as the general trend moves downward. As for the 36 states, the majority of job losses last month were due to over 100,000 temporary Census jobs, not because the economy is collapsing.

Thank you for the link about GDP, it completely proved my point. Four straight quarters of GDP growth. Just because the GDP grew less this quarter than it grew in the previous quarter doesn't mean it's not growth.

Yes, manufacturing and construction have both been hit hard. But the overwhelming trend is still job growth in the private sector, all year long. And I have bad news for you if you're banking on manufacturing jobs. In the long term, they are a not a good market to be in. Technology is constantly driving a need for fewer and fewer people to manufacture the same if not more goods. There was a time when nearly 100% of all the human race was in agriculture, but technology allows a very small number of people to produce enough food for everyone else. Likewise, technology is constantly reducing the need for as many people to work in manufacturing to produce enough goods for everyone. That's not what's happening right at this instant, but the idea that the manufacturing of goods is directly tied to having more and more people in manufacturing is false.

September 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ted arndt

The constantly used word by the "followers" of this idiot, "faith"? Is incredible. It has always amazed me how libs seeth when someone questions anything concerning BO. The enemys of the US are probebly smart enough to know that with BO in office all they really have to do is wait. How Liberalating

September 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Emmitt Langley

Velma, it is exhausting defending a lie. I never grow tired of defending the truth. By any objective standard (even a liberal one), Obama's presidency–to this point–is a failed one.

September 21, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • IEK

And your "objective" proof for that is...?

September 21, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • DB5987

FOX News told him Obama was the worst president ever! And who could doubt reporters who are so over the top fair and balanced that they remind you of that fairness by telling you about it every 5 stinking minutes.

September 21, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • stephen

Emmit, I had hope too! But soon into his Presidency, I saw the same games and most importantly, I saw (and still do) hear the 'blame game'. It's always someone else's fault ... the Republicans or Bush. I am tired of that partisan talk. Obama and the Democrats have the majority and have for nearly two years, so why blame anyone? They don't need the Republican vote on anything if THEY would just stand together too, but they don't.

September 21, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Hogwash.

September 21, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Zootrerpust

Emmitt, the Obama presidency is a failed one? He's had the most successful legislative record in his first two years in office than any president I can remember. While I'm not entirely happy with the legislation he's managed to get through, he's had health care reform, finance reform, student loan reform, consumer protection reform, equal pay reform . . . the list goes on but I can't enumerate them all at this moment. He has had a VERY successful first two years so far. No, Obama has not been a failure. He hasn't gotten the credit he deserves, but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault. I guess the fact that he tends not to get his support through a drumbeat of mindless sound bites to which his supporters can march–well, I guess maybe that IS a failing, considering the public to which he must explain things.

September 21, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Zach

At my high school they made us read 1984. If they did this at all high schools, no one that actually passed English would watch Fox News.

September 21, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Coherent1

Emmitt, that's not true. The truth doesn't need defending, it just IS. It remains constant at all times. That's why the Republican's have been fighting furiously to hide or overshadow the truth. Even going against their own legislation when Obama agrees with them, lol (immigration reform). Velma's worn out for entertaining idiots. Shame on her. She has to learn to let the idiots rise and fall just like they've done continuously (Palin, Limbaugh, O'Donnell, Paul, Boehner, Beck, etc). They eventually step in their own feces.

September 21, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • John Kim

Telling a liberal that their president failed is like telling a conservative that their President Bush has failed. In the end both people are going to break down into a slap fight with hair pulling about which leader is the best.
      GOP and DEM supporters that have no political training or insight are both retarded.

[Insert Political Party here] has ruined this country. If it wasn't for [insert name here] we would be better off.

September 21, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Justintime

You probably think that the last two bush' were a success and that Clinton was also a failure.

September 21, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

This is what she's talking about – you offer nothing in the way of argument, just an overwhelming belief that all of the ills we are facing are Obama's fault – despite the fact that the Health Care bill hasn't really kicked in, he wasn't behind either of the stimulus pakages, and he made BP pay up even though they had W's sweetheart legislation backing their attempts to wash their hands and walk away from as much of that mess as possible. He has guided us from the brink of economic disaster to a relatively stable economy. I will vote for him again – he really is one of the great presidents.

September 21, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • TwM

Mrzoo wow how can you say he had legislative success when over 53% of Americans despise his legislations?
      Health care LOL Republicans nailed the real costs on this one, Democrats lied about the costs and what was in it. I think Obama can be saved though, he can be the charismatic leader we crave. Like President Clinton before him, once he lost the Dem majority he became the President we needed (damn good one too).

September 21, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Amen Emmitt!

September 21, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank S

Say what you will, Obama can pronounce "nuclear"

September 21, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • DB

"Say what you will, Obama can pronounce 'nuclear'"

@Frank S–Well, that puts him one ahead of Jimmy Carter.

September 21, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

@Frank S: You are clearly the illiterate one. The way President Bush pronounced nuclear is perfectly valid. Go look it up in the dictionary.

September 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

@Pete: Excuse me, not behind either of the stimulus packages? You're half right, Bush started the first one, and spend verrrry little of it, then Obama came in, and spent the rest of it, followed by a second stimulus package that was even larger than the Bush one. I didn't like either, but both presidents were stupid for bailing them out. I would rather this country had tanked, then bail out big corporation. If the country had tanked, all the hard workers would have servived and the lazy, blood sucking parasites would have died off, then our country would be stronger. But hey, peace and love for everyone, even if it brings everyone down.

September 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. james vond

Why would you be exhausted defending someone else. You are under the illusion that you can convince others with deeply rooted beliefs. Don't defend, believe. Maybe a personality flaw I supposed, fail to see what it has anything to do with obama.

September 21, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. max

wahhh wahhh obama this that and the other thing, blame obama cuz he has a funny name!

September 21, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • futureguy

I'll admit the only thing I dont like about Obama is his name. Oh well, I hate the word poultice too but it sure feels good to heal a wound so che sera, right? It does strike me as strnage when I get into any discussion about our economy with a GOPer or a federalist. Generaly they have a skewed sense of history. Those laisez fairists forget about the robber baron era of the early 1900's and the Reaganomics / Bushenomics. The reason keyne's theories work is because temperance and balance are the healthiest path in any living system. Deregulation caused the S&L crisis, Enron, mortgage implosion, etc. If Barney Frank and Charles Wrangle are partially responsible then they arent dems to me, they are crooks. But that doesnt mean a well regulated economic system that taxes the wealthiest individuals is a bad thing.

September 21, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Robert Johnson

Mr. President if you can't stand the heat get out......Concerned about Student debt ....Mr President has made sure our children will be paying for Bail outs for a long time. Obama.....the new slogan should be... I hope someone can spare some change. Nov 2010 VOTE.....Bush was bad but this is just as bad. I hope we learn to speak Chinese.

September 21, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • jermaine jones

Mr. Johnson I am not quiet sure you understand what you are saying. I don't blogs or anything of the sort but I have to say. You the Obama will have our kids paying this debt. Let's not forget your kids and my kids are going to be paying for debt well before Obama came in for decades and centuries long after Obama let's start with the war. If you ask the average citizen why are we over there fighting a war that many have fought before us and could not win. Understand something Taliban are willing to wait for a long time to attack us. We as Americans are so looking for what we can now. So this when this financial crisis truely passes we will forget all about because everybody's pocket will be full or rather there credit cards will be full so they can spend and get into more debt. Also anyone who wants to vote for the republicans to take over the house and the senate are crazy, they do not understand we will have a lame duck president and nothing will get done for the next two years. Also speaking of two years Obama will be coming up on his second year in January. So when I hear people talking about he has not done anything about job growth you are insane. How many jobs have been lost and how many have been saved. Think about like this even in the hay day of the economy how much did financial situation improved within a year and half, so how anyone can expect for the job improvement to be so great. Also I would like you to list 5 things that you think the president should be doing to get jobs created. It was big financial and corporate firms who took down the country, so people can have it both ways you can't want the government intervene and come on the great white horse and save the country because some big banks brought our country and others to it knees. Noticed I said some banks not all banks. Greed got us into this so I can only think that common respect for another will get us out of this.

September 21, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Alittle skeptical

Or at least be able to use Chinese money. Oops we already are using chinese money, it just looks like American dollars and cents

September 21, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

@Jermaine – Your viewpoints and your grammar are both ridiculous.

September 21, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Shame

The funny thing is, everyone has something to say negative about Obama. The disaster from Katrina has taken more then 5 years to fix and might I add still isn't fixed, they are just now getting back on their feet. Bush had EIGHT years to tear a whole in our government so big that yes people it takes more then 2 years to fix. OK let me say that again for people who are too ignorant to understand that fact. IT TAKES MORE THE TWO YEARS TO FIX EIGHT YEARS OF DAMAGE! Obama is busting his ass to get it back together, I would love to see how quickly your able to put your House back together exactly as it was or even better then it was if was to burn to the ground. You think it would take you just two years....no fool...it would take a lot longer. Obama took on a job that he knew he would be hated for for one because he is black, for two because of his name and for three because America has become a country of wining people that sit on there asses and expect things to change...Let me ask you all, when's the last time you volunteered in your community, or even gave a bum on the street a dollar. When is the last time you just said hi to the guy that walked by you on the street. OK So stop complaining about Obama and look in the mirror, complain about yourself, your friends and your family because everyone is responsible for the way the economy is not Obama.

September 21, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris in Texas

My house would be repaired immediately because I pay for insurance.

September 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joe

Headline is misleading. Makes people think that shes saying hes doing a bad job and that isnt it at all. Its that the rightwingers are just frothing at the mouth that there is a democrat as president. They went after Clinton also who was more of a Conservative than Reagan was, fact btw. It just goes to show when it comes to politics that the rightwing only looks at party, they dont care about the message even.

Look at NAFTA for example. All you hear is the rightwingers blaming Clinton when in fact NAFTA was Bush Srs bill and it was passed by the Republican majority in the houses. Yes Clinton signed it and he shouldnt have but he only signed it after he got some American worker protections added. But rightwhiners dont like to let facts get in the way of a good irrational hate.

September 21, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Tyler Durden

Here's a fact for you Joe....The House of Representatives approved NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by a vote of 234 to 200. The agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and 102 Democrats. Also, the Democratic Party held the majority at that time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/103rd_United_States_Congress)
      Republicans didn't have the majority until January 1995.

September 21, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • John

"Here's a fact for you Joe....The House of Representatives approved NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by a vote of 234 to 200. The agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and 102 Democrats. Also, the Democratic Party held the majority at that time."

Yeah but a majority of the people who voted for it were Republicans.
      132 Republicans voted for NAFTA
      45 Republicans voted against NAFTA

102 Democrats voted for NAFTA
      154 Democrats voted against NAFTA

So, even though Democrats held the majority at the time, a majority of Republicans voted for NAFTA and it passed, a majority of Democrats voted against NAFTA, and it passed anyway.

September 21, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • John

For the percents,
      60% of Democrat Representatives opposed NAFTA
      25% of Republican Representatives opposed NAFTA

74.5% of Republican Representatives supported NAFTA
      40% of Democrat Representatives supported NAFTA

By a wide margin (-20%), more Democrats opposed NAFTA than supported it. By an even wider margin (+50%), more Republicans supported NAFTA than opposed it.

Your obfuscations to the contrary, NAFTA is the Republican's baby, not the Democrats.

September 21, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • DeathPledge

It's important to remember that the Democrats could have stopped the Republican machine here...as they should have. It is the Republicans baby, but the Democrats could have stopped it. I have often said the same about Iraq (we never should have entered) – it was a Republican baby that could have and should have been stopped by the Democrats. Republicans seem to have brought these devastating policies into place, but the Democrats were too complacent in allowing them to pass. It's a bit myopic to say only one side or the other was entirely responsible. Let's vote out the *individuals* who supported both Iraq and NAFTA; not necessarily the party.

September 21, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Matthew Smith

I understand the 'tired' feeling that most feel these days debating and attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue with the naysayers. Unfortunately there will never be a 'trump card' that can be played to provide the small idealogical victory that many of us seek. I am a conservative, but my chosen candidate did not win the GOP nomination and I ultimately felt that this President provided the best mix of ideas that addressed a broader cross-section of all our overall concerns, cheif among them, the economy and restoring the middle class. The folks standing in the way of progress use the stubborn approach as a way to wear down those who would embrace change. It takes very little energy to close one's mind or simply ignore reason or facts. Couple that with the raw energy provided by strong emotions exhibited by those on the fringe and it seems at times to be a futile exercise, but we must fight, as they claim to do, for our country, our future and that of our children...the alternative is to allow those who would deny us the American Dream to prevail!

September 21, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. asdfg

Love how the Dow is almost 11k now but Obama has failed right? LOL. Idiot Republicans. He prevented a complete total crash that would have bankrupted Americans for generations far worse than the bailout cost us. BVtw half of which has been paid back. Stupid teabaggers

September 21, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • JBC

I wonder how many CNN leftist plants are on these boards...

September 21, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • DB5987

If every liberal over here is a leftist CNN plant, clearly any conservative who comes reading a left leaning news website MUST be doing so under orders from the commanders on FOX News, right? Logic is fun.

September 21, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Edmund Coplen

Yes but I long back to the time when it was 14500

September 21, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • SickToDeath

What color was the Kool Aid you drank, asdfg? This country IS bankrupt. The Chinese own us. We can't meet our obligations. We are on the brink of losing our status as the only Superpower left in the world, and when we're done kiss the 3rd world goodbye. Who do you think foots the bill for feeding the world? Policing the world? It's us. And we've got our esteemed POTUS to thank for dragging us down with him.

September 21, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • John

"Edmund Coplen
      Yes but I long back to the time when it was 14500"

The DOW was artificially inflated when it was that high, a bubble waiting to pop. 10000-12000, right now, is stable and ideal. We go any higher and it's getting too big.

September 21, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Edmund Coplen

John,
      Indexes reflect investors confidence and since Mr O was elected it hasn't moved above 11000. which definitely reflect the uncertainty this administration create. Mr. O can blame anybody but he owns it.

September 21, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

JBC,
      50% leftists
      50% rethugs
      Not used to that are you? You must be used to the 99.9% rethugs "debating" on Fox "news".

September 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Henry Miller

What is there about Obama to defend? He took the economic damage left him by George Bush, and promptly made it four times worse. His "redistribute the wealth" predation has profoundly exacerbated class warfare.

Obama is a walking disaster for whom there is no defence.

September 21, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • John C

There is no defense in your mind because you are not living in the real world. As with most the hatred and complaints about this president are based on talk radio talking points and the lies that come out of the right on a daily basis. People like you will not be happy no matter what the president does. For anyone interested in what is best for this country, you people are irrelevant. .

September 21, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • DB5987

Here's the part where you tell us the Iraq War and BP were both Clinton's fault, Afghanistan is "Obama's failed war" and slap a Palin/Beck 2012 bumper sticker on my forehead, right?

September 21, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. AT

This President has done so much in the past 21 months that no other President has ever done before and for the first questioner, an African-American woman who identified herself as a chief financial officer, a mother and a military veteran to complain and say that “I’m exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the mantle of change that I voted for,” is being very disingenuous. For God's sake, she has a job, she sends her children to private schools, does not seem that her husband is out of a job (at least she did not say so), does not have a credit card, all good signs of responsibility and certainly not signs of being besieged by the current economic morass. So for her to complain “I’ve been told that I voted for a man who was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class, and I’m waiting, sir, I’m waiting. I still don’t feel it yet.” is not only being disingenuous, its being irresponsibly impatient. What does she expect? This President is not a magician that he can wave his magic wand and make the decade old irresponsible behavior of the previous administration go away. I think President Obama is being responsible by not digging a deeper hole and slowly trying to get this nation back on track. He cannot pander away this nation to the demands of all. Giving tax breaks and reducing the deficit are two diametrically opposite actions. I believe the President is being responsible by making sure that the 97% of the people get positive benefit and that the other 3% make a contribution to lowering the deficit. The President even said yesterday that when things are back to normal, he will again look at giving further tax breaks to all. Give this man the credit that he so richly deserves and this is coming from a person who has been out of a job for the past 15 months.

September 21, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Ana

Amen, AT. I couldn't have said it better myself!

September 21, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • zerobeamsabre

Second that emotion, AT. To the President of the United States, I have and will continue to support you. There are many problems left to solve, and it will take time. Follow your head and your heart to make things right.
      To the complainers of the president's way of handling things, ask yourselves the following questions: Why aren't you complaining to the companies who are shipping jobs out of the U.S.? Where are the glasses of haterade to the banks who got saved by taxpayer money but aren't helping small businesses who are the lifeblood of this country grow further? Where is your angst for those who don't want this country to progress like a true nation should: united by our commonalities rather than divided by our differences?
      People of the United States, I challenge you to help make our country and in turn the world a better place by starting the change within yourselves. Think for yourself, stop teaching your children old stereotypes and prejudices, value concepts such as respect, and LEARN from your history–both good and bad.
      To those of you who will dismiss my statements as mere rambling, stop your whimpering, grow the hell up, and take some REAL responsibility for your actions. If you don't want to contribute to helping our nation get back to greatness, there are other countries you can go to. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out.

September 21, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • EM

AT, I wholeheartedly concur with you. It is amazing that there is the expectation of many to see everything happen immediately after President Obama said '...so help me God." There should be some education (Hey, CNN this could be one of your feathers...) provided to the American people. Provide the necessary story about the three powers of government: executive, legislative and judicial. The executive provides the agenda (policies), the legislative passes acts (an Act of Congress) and the judicial ensures that there are no legal issues as it relates to all Americans. (This is very generic, but I'm trying to get a point across.) The President cannot get anything passed unless Congress passes an Act, then it becomes Law (of the Land). So, if there are things that you do not see happening that the President is working, contact your Congressman or Senator. They know the process. This, in a very rudimentary description is how it works. When you see the President signing a Bill into Law, there will definitely be key Senators and Congressmen around for the picture, and a pen that signed the Bill into Law. If that doesn't make sense, Google "Schoolhouse Rock I'm Just a Bill" and listen to the words. ("I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill...") I know some of you know this by heart once you hear it. It doesn't get any simpler than this... It's by design... Go to http://www.whitehouse.gov and look at 11 displayed "Acts" of Congress. Then there are more that may not be as high profile as others. Our President is clearly working in the best interest of our country and it up to the two chambers of Congress to help him make our country succeed. CNN, here's a change to educate the American people!! The ball is in your court... Looking forward to seeing "Schoolhouse Rock Bill". If I'm not mistaken, you may have done this in the past. Dust off the tape and show it again, but in more depth, like some of the CNN Specials. The more we know... the less likely we are to say "No".

September 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John C

Reasonable criticism and reasonable discussions like this are what we do not get enough of because of the right wing noise machine. The extremists that took over the GOP not only have no solutions beyond the tired campaign promises, they prevent those interested in what is best for our country for having honest and open discussions about our problems. The T baggers and those too lazy to spend the time researching what is actually going on prefer to stick to the model that what is happening is not as important as what you can make people think is happening. This is what is holding America back. People are slow, but in this country they do eventually get it. We need to get past the T bagger mentality if we hope to change anything!.

September 21, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Spasaro

This fool wanted to be President but has no clue how to do it. I wish he would do America a big, big favor and step down.

September 21, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • jermaine jones

Spasaro is that all you can say you should have closed your mouth. You are just like the republicans shooting off at the mouth about what he is supposedly doing wrong, but never offering any suggestion. Obama has extended the hand the republicans numerous times. At some point you keep your hand slapped you have to start making OG calls and do what you feel is best. Just like someone else Obama is just coming up on his second year in January. Remind me how long was Bush in office and he did what. The most memorable thing about him was the war which we spend how much on a month hmmm!! and the most memorable thing is the shoe being thrown at him which should have hit him. Really think about what you say I just hear alot of hot air.

September 21, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • DC

I wander, if you felt the way about Bush. You know,The BEST-FRIEND of the BIN LADENS.

September 21, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • AT

This is precisely the kind of venom that needs to stop. If we are going to move forward in a positive way, we need to work together. Constructive criticism is healthy; however, the venom such as this spouted by the right wing hurts us in the long run.

September 21, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • DeathPledge

@AT
      "This is precisely the kind of venom that needs to stop ... the venom such as this spouted by the *right wing* hurts us in the long run."

You insinuat that the left is free from blame by only mentioning the "right wing". Keep in mind that "wingnuts" goes both ways and the venom is the same from both sides.

September 21, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Fred

The Republicans have our economy about destroyed and they want to blame it on Obama now. Lets not rewrite history. Our economic woes are the Republicans baby

September 21, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • No Way Joe

Ignorance is bliss. Who exactly has been in charge of Congress (budget and spending for the last 4 years)? What a maroon.

September 21, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Who was in charge the prior 15 years and with control of both houses AND the Presidency? Idiot. 2 short years with Bush still sitting in the WH did NOTHING. The damage was already done foolio. Get a clue

September 21, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • sue

I love it when people can't seem to spell MORON right! GO OBAMA!!! 2012!

September 21, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy Burt

Also, if I recall – for the first 2 of those years it was 49 dem – 2 Ind – and 49 rep......who was is charge????

September 21, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • termlimits

Sorry Fred, it's all of there fault. Clinton 8 years, Bush 8 years, Obamar 2 years and the House pushing the mortgage lenders give home loans to most everyone even when they couldn't pay it. The Chinese started their unchecked manufactoring using near slave labor while Clinton was in office and it continues today. All of these MORONS are quilty for a buck. Your boy is just the latest in a long line of bull $ hit to come down the pike and his followers and the press are finally figuring that out! LOL!

September 21, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. No Way Joe

Narcissists don't like losing there power. It's going to get mean out there.

September 21, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • JD

I agree, the Republicans have been mean as can be since Obama won.

September 21, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |