September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. Obama the Liar

Also Confused, it sounds like you don't even bother to check if things are true. You just spit your rhetoric like its the truth and the only truth. You should clean off your own back porch buddy before you clean others. 🙂

September 21, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

my apologies, I am a card carrying registered Republican.

Not a great fan of Obama because his first mistake was not using the Republican strategy of doing whatever he wanted like "W" did.

Voted for "W" first term until I saw the direction he was taking the country in. I had no illusion about what the following President would inherit, be it a Republican or Democrat. Obama did the Republicans a favor by getting elected.

September 21, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. julia Nunn

That's right Joe, check your grammar at the door.
    CNN tries so hard to be a Fox wannabe these days, with their unfortunate headlines, but here's the bottom line; will Barack Obama prove to be the best president this nation has ever had? We don't know (well the republicans do; they already decided way before he was voted in), and frankly I don't care. I hate what Bush did to this country and as usual the democrats have to clean up when the republicans crap, and that is precisely what is going on here.
    I am for Obama even if I believe the republicans (and even some democrats) are never going to take their valium and allow him to do his job. They block him at every motion and then complain he isn't doing enough! I would be happier if I never saw another republican take office, but unfortunately and partially driven by the media there is always a backlash for every forward movement.

September 21, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. The_Dude

CNN needs to hire this Velma person to come and moderate these message / comment sections. Velma could delete any negative comment about obama and that way cnn doesn't have to hire someone to do it.

September 21, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. J.V.

I see a whole lot of piling on President Obama. Did Americans expect miracles in less than two years. Do we all have short-term memory loss. Mr. Obama was left with a huge plate of kah-kah. Bush and gang wasted $1.3 trillion or more on two wars, rammed through the TARP funds on the way out the door. POTUS has been pushing the wagon uphill alone. For goodness sakes–pls. understand that pushing the middle class into poverty is about control. You don't vote when you are scrounging for food and shelter. Someone once said: Democracy is not a spectator sport. If you don't vote for the Democrats–you'll get Dick Cheney. It's time to man up. Also recognize the anger for what it is, and you know what I mean.

September 21, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. Klaark

You mean the Morgan Freeman looking guy didn't fix all of our problems the moment he was sworn in!?

Considering the amount of Republicans firmly in the way, it's a wonder anything has been done. Ignore them and keep on rolling, I say. They don't have an alternative.

September 21, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. jlschulz

People need to stop calling it health care reform. It was a change, but in NO WAY was it a reform. It's just as convoluted and unafordable as it ever was. The man is a waste, he's done more in a shorter time to ruin this country than any president in history. He's doing nothing for long term solutions, he's done nothing to stop the flow of jobs out of this country, he's done nothing to curb the influx of cheap goods into this country that is closing our factories and businesses. He's selling us to the chinese one inflationary bond at a time. He's not backing any high tech good paying jobs, all he wants to do is create short term construction work with no look to the future.

September 21, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. WallaceB

Mr. President: It made me sick to see you think that this lady's woes were soooo d@mn funny to you, that you laughed at her! What a heartless gesture. I FOUND NO HUMOR IT HER PAIN!!

September 21, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed to Clean Ya Mirror Wallace

No, he was not laughing at her...he misread her question and tone...he thought he was about to receive a compliment until he correctly read her query as negative. His countenance felled....don't know if it was disappointment or hurt.

September 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. thunder

Now I have to ask the moderator on this site what it was about my post that got it blocked from being posted?I didn't address anyone on the blog.I used no bad language. And I spoke what I feel is the truth.Ahhh, I see your problem with it now........................

September 21, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Audrey in Georgia

The next time you are so "exhausted" keep your mouth shut and stay home!

September 21, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

When we consider the condition of the country that President Obama took stewardship of after his inauguration, he doesn't need "defending," he NEEDS to be lauded. We MAY have missed a full on depression because of his actions. Were they perfect? Absolutely not. Has he TRIED to do what he said he would? YES, but there is more to do.
    I can't imagine who would be in it and what the Tea Party would be talking about now if John McCain had been elected.
    People who complain about how bad things are need to think about how we got here, who did the most to get us here and how much help they have been in trying to get our Nation back on track...
    If one is HONEST, there is blame to go around, and, in the end, Congress COULD, in theory, resolve all of this by acting in the interests of We The People instead of being lead around by their wallets by special interest lobbyists for Big Business..

September 21, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • mark

We may have missed? Lets look at the facts and not speculation.

September 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chicagoan

Anyone out there paying student loans right now, all of those deductions you used to be able to claim for interest on your taxes is disappearing unless they extend the Bush tax cuts. That means that $2500 deduction goes bye-bye. 2011 is going to be a tough year.

September 21, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Obama the Liar

HONEST is not a word i would tie with congress or Obama. Or problem starts with the very people we put in charge to solve problems for the betterment of our country. They are more concerned about getting rich and what they are going to do on summer vacation while the rest of us work.

September 21, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. J.cohen

President Obama think that he is giving a break for students, how? by giving loans for 6.8% which they can not even find a job after graduation while he gives loans to bank with 0-0.25% and there is no inflation. Is this is the way to help
    families to educate their children? His health reform caused increased premiums by insurance companies, his financial reform cause increase on credit cards rates from 9% to 17-28% to customers that have the highest FICO scores and never missed a payment. His advisers are so stupid not to have this laws retroactive so that will not happened and Obama with no academic education or experience in this areas stupid enough to follow his advisers. I did not covered 10% of his polices domestic and foreign to tell you how he lead us to the obis.

September 21, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

"no academic education" ? What a punch in the face to the people who attended Harvard.Hilarious!

September 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Obama the Liar

"Our"

September 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. danny gans

Velma does have that card to shut the discussion; the race card of course.

September 21, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |