September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. Billy bob

Was and is...... Dow was. 14k. is 11k
    Unemployment was. 5 or 6 present. Now 10.6%

Gold was $600 is $1250

Etc. So just what is so great about all of this?

September 21, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

The Dow was at 7k when Obama took office you idiot. The crash had already happened

September 21, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. bjnj

REMEMBER, the democrats took control in 2007 when the Dow was 12,700. The Dems with help from Obama destroyed the economics of this country. I can see why it's tirering defending a poor performer as he's undefendable. Worse president the US ever had. Instead of LEADING the nation, his decision making is based on LOVE ME LOVE ME. The pollsters run the country. Ombama recognizes he's a one termer and trying to blame the economy on Bush is simply dishonest. But then he knows that and cares less. I've "heard" he spends one hour per day doing smiling exercises while looking in the mirror. SAD! BJNJ

September 21, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank S

Where are you getting this lie as to who destroyed the economics of the country? Wall Streeet and the banks destroyed the economics with the mortgage scam and derivatives that were based on the mortgage scam. Bush destroyed the economics with the tax cuts. Tax cuts are so great, but look at the deficit. You can't have it both ways.

September 21, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

You apparently do not understand that the Democrats were not in position to do anything with Bush still signing off. The damage to the economy was done long before they had control.

September 21, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Billy

Maybe no one should try to defend either the Democratic party, nor President Obama, from our detractors.

I believe the Republican party in general, and the Tea Party in particular, are selfish, and furthermore, I believe they are collectively suffering from a personality disorder. No amount of logic nor reason will change their selfish misdirected anger.

Although I fully support the USA 2 party system, and the Republican party, nevertheless, I believe the Republican party's exploitation of ignorance and various prejudices in order to get the votes necessary to further their pro rich business agenda is killing the collective USA good.

I just hope the Republican party realizes that their scorched earth tactics will hurt everyone, including the Republican party, before its too late.

September 21, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Oliver

It is too late. To me, it seems as if they fabricated the Tea Party Movement to cleanse themselves from the Bush legacy, but it ran so totally out of control that now you cannot be a republican and believe that the world is older than 6000 years, that evolution is a lie or that climate change doesn't exist. The Republican Party is dead, it has been replaced by the angry mob, and they have already chosen a minority to blame and hate. Wonder why no one compares this to the rise of Nazi Germany. It seems that only when the comparison is valid does everyone decide to shut up.

September 21, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Little Pink Houses

Wait a sec...a law school grad asks if the American dream is dead because he can't get a job to pay his massive student loan debt to fund an education he wasn't even sure why he got in the first place??? The 'American' dream is alive and well.

September 21, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Swamprattler

0b0z0 is a socialist

September 21, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rand

The claim that Obama or any leader is somehow to blaim for the final colapse of the American prosperity is rediculous. We have sunned ourselves in the successes of the previous generations for far too long. The truth is that China and many other countries can make it cheaper and we will buy it. Until you as a consumer are so convicted to save our country that you would spend more for "made in the USA", we will continue to ride the slippery slope to equality. Global equality is a absolute reality. We will see the standard of living equate. The average Chinese worker can do it for less. We are going to either fit that with our purchasing decisions or shutup and get ready for the ride to global equality.

September 21, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. kowasa

Pretty hard to defend a President who supports muslims , illegals and freeloaders over the american taxpayer. Also, difficult to support one who demonizes business to court his union and tort lawyers who support him. His loyalty is to the party not the country.

September 21, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • tessamalk

I have to say, I'm really disappointed with the people who are saying Muslims are not American. They are just as American as the Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Atheist, et al., people who live in the United States. Saying that you cannot trust someone because they are of a certain religion is ignorant and prejudiced, and represents a dangerous point of view that is part of the problem in today's world.

As for Obama; while he hasn't accomplished everything he promised he would do... name me one President who has. Name me one person who has sat in the Oval Office in our nation's history who has been able to work with a hostile Congress to accomplish incredible things when given a political mess upon entering office.

He's one person, trying to work with hundreds in the federal government, to effect change. This will take time and while our consumerist nature demands immediate gratification, I think we could all stand to be a little more patient.

September 21, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • maggie

Boy, I saw lots of familiar bullet points in your three sentences and absolutely no fact. Why did you bother?

September 21, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anna

i am also getting weary and woren down after almost two years of watching the racist hatred take center stage because it is noise and we know the press follows noise over substance. But, I suppose racism towards the President is news, but the press is not covering legitimate issues any differently than the racism acts – therefore they are not covering racism towards the President, just showing it and actiling like the racists have a point.

I really had thought that this country had gone a long way in believing in equality for all people, but the disrespectful way that President Obama is treated has opened my eyes to the provound racism that still exists in the land of the free.

September 21, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Truth in Change

Oh really, you think it is racism? I'm laughing right now. Just because we don't like the president, just because we trash talk him, just because we are dissenters, does not make us racist.

Where were you the last eight years when everyone was trash talking Bush. I guess that makes them racists too, right? Reverse racists... 😦

America is sad right now. Wake up and realize that the brilliant light coming out of the White House is just a thought control ray and you're a victim of it.

September 21, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Smith

While I agree in principle that there are some who attack the POTUS because of race / religion / Birth Certificate etc...I think it is more about the fact that people are being used by those no longer in an optimized position of power by spreading false information, stirring up emotions in those people and then providing them with coverage so that it appears that this is the case. These people are victims and should be treated as such. Ultimately, either the people exercise their responsibility to govern themselves or someone does it for them and most of these people don't really want to deal with all that. You can tell these people because they are always promoting someone as better suited based on what they have been told. I was a long time listener and even watch Rush's tv show that he had and I eventually listened less and less because he went from being a politically aware entertainer and talk show host to being the only person who knew anything. I understand fundamentally that such a person does not exist so I started analyzing his message and discovered that it was mostly negativity and I chose not to become a victim and take charge of what I think and demand what I want from my elected officials. It is fine to disagree, but to condense your ideas to soundbites and catchphrases that only represent your individual 'truth' is dangerous when you have millions of our citizens engaging in that behavior. Ultimately, what is good for most of us is good for all of us and last time I checked, we all just want to be free and have the opportunity to persue happiness.

September 21, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tom

After hearing Obama sidestepping the “?” about china & open trade last night on TV. It is clear we are far from a recovery. Until the Whitehouse admits that open trade has gutted out tax base here in America. We will behind China in crawling out of this recession. And OUR government will be spending more than it will be taking in. No 2-ways around people. The world can’t offered America to be in open trade with 3 world labor rates! Obama said he is “pro-Trade”. But American companies paying millions of Chinese and India people to do OUR jobs for 30 cents a day is NOT trade. Its cheap labor with some added shipping costs. And to sit there & listen to OUR leader tell us other wise is a joke!

September 21, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeffrey Allen Miller NY

No matter who had won the White House in 2008, his or her goose was cooked from the getgo. Anyone following this nation's first dictator (that was Bush) could not succeed given the damage of the Bush administration coupled with the greed of Wall Street and the poorest public education system in western civilization. Jeffrey Allen Miller NY

September 21, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. paul

This President lost me when he puts muslims ahead of Americans. I think he's a closet muslim at worst or a muslim sympathizer at best. He's placed then at the Homeland Security Department. Placing then at the heart of the battle. You can't trust a muslim at all because they are muslims first instead of American.

September 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • smc

If you were really a Christian, you'd realize that Jesus told you to be a Christian first and an American second. And these Muslims you're talking about are Americans.

September 21, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fred

Who voted in this clown?
    WE THE PEEPS HAVE HAD ENOUGH

I can see 2012 from my house

September 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed to Fred

Lighten up...their claim and frustrations are real. Yeah, it's a Bush-baby but step-daddy Obama need to stop hollerin' it ain't mine and step up to the plate and start changing diapers. I don't care for Obama's focus to redirecting the moral compass of this nation. American voters are frustrated with the free-thinking morons in office and are desparate to elect "any body" to office. You don't have to look far to see the
      effects: TEA PARTY 2012

September 21, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

I imagine the media is getting tired too. Especially after all that hard work getting him elected.

September 21, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bill W

If the economy was better not nearly as many people would be complaining about the president. He took the presidency when the economy was at its worst, he has done all he can to improve the situation but because things are not getting better so it is just blame, blame, blame. The whole idea that the president by himself should be able to fix the countries economy is absurd how can anyone be so nave to think this is possible? It was the greedy banks and mortgage companies, now they do not want to give loans.

September 21, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Harvey

Seems the people with the biggest mouthes and loudest propaganda are always able to sway public opinion.
      If Mccain had been elected, these same people would be screaming praises for him no matter what the state of the economy.

September 21, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jessie

Continued economic growth, unemployment numbers falling, most respected nation in the world, health care reform, sounds to me that's the last president we need.

September 21, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

unemployment numbers falling??? where china?

September 21, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |