September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. dontlooknow

Obumbles has gotten us to the mountain top and now we're heading down the slippery slope and have have now way of stopping the disaster at the bottom.

September 21, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Randy

I believe the real problem lies within the politicians themselves. All the tax dollars being wasted on private agendas. The way the billions that were thrown away on major companies to keep them going is just asinine too me, yet we countinue to allow these overspending idiots in government waste OUR tax dollars for the failed attempts to gain fame. The only time I have collected unemployment was the 6 months after leaving the military. I was still recovering from surgery and could barely walk or stand but the lady at the unemployment office informed me "this isn't free money, you need to get a job." Now I see the career welfare recipiants getting their benefits with their nice, politically correct debit cards, eating better than I do. I get a Social Security statement that tells me my retirement may diminish over time as the jackazzes that screwed up the whole system continue to vote themselves payraise on top of payraise. ( Not to mention the bennies and status.) America, we can continue to be a bunch of idiots who leave this go unchecked or we can make a stand. To think this country originally revolted over a tea tax... the signers of the Declaration would loose it if they lived by todays tax system. There is no accountability of the government, yet I pay my taxes yearly and wonder if I might get audited? Lets fire all the morons in Washington and start off new, with working class people that believe you should earn what you get, not be carried by the rest of the working class.

September 21, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. django

..what i heard her trying to communicate is that she is tired of dealing with the propaganda from the Right wing...Id imagine her being a CFO she has to come in contact with a fair amount of 'Conservatives' and is probably getting worn down from having to fight alone in that environment. Really what she seems tired of is the rampant ignorance, the thinly veiled racism, the hyperbole and hypocrisy of the right.
    Cant say I blame her

September 21, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. Michael, Chapel Hill

Obama is inspirational? True. He can inspire? True. But he has to understand the country and move to the center to keep the country alive and then cautiosly move with his agenda. This was what Clinton did. It worked. Obama is a socialist who want to bring socialism in the country which is not ready for Socialism.

September 21, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Smith

So..I have to ask, what makes him a socialist, and be specific so that we can actually engage in meaningful dialogue. This is an opportunity for you to inform others, so please don't perceive this as an attack.

September 21, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Confused

Let me see if I have all of the correct information:
    Obama is a Muslim
    Obama was not born in the United states
    Obama went to a Muslim training school
    Obama and the Democrats are solely responsible for the Trillion dollar deficit
    Obama and the Demeocrats are solely responsible for the housing collapse
    Obama and the Democrats are solely responsible for the all of the financial bailouts
    Obama and the Democrats are ruining the United States

The Republicans are going to save us from Obama and the Democrats.

No offense to the people who actually believe this line of thought but don't you see a pattern, lets flip it and see if you notice something.

The Republicans Tax the middle class but give free handouts to corporations and billionaires who don't need it
    The Republicans think the government should not regulate industry because that spurs growth in hiring
    The Republicans believe in democracy and moral values
    The Republicans are going to clean up Congress

If you want change in 2010 vote everyone out of Congress every election until your elected representatives pass term limits, otherwise all we are going to get is the same bucket of "sh**" fed to us every year.

By the way how many American Nitwits actually are aware the John McCain was born in Panama (The country) strange isn't it. How many of you know that the law was changed and was retroactive that American Citizens born in foreign countries like OPanama with American parents could be President. Prior to John McCain they couldn't. The only thing Socialist about the United States that is getting on my nerves is our version of Pravda that feeds lies to the gullible and uninformed in this country. Sorry for the rant to much coffee. LOL

September 21, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ken

Nice job Kiran. You couldn't just ask the first question without baiting the interviewee into agreeing with the point you really wanted to make in your second question? That's not journalism.

September 21, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Eric Tedford

Of course, He did not answer the question. A follow-up question(s) should have been: Is the middle class You speak of the same middle class before You took office? Or is this a new middle class that lives with less based on Your Socialist policies you want passed?

ERIC TEDFORD – Chittenango, NY

September 21, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Truth in Change

Perhaps, if she is tired of defending him, she should give in and accept his false pretenses and misleading promises. She should realize... her leader is a sham. Only then will she be free to see he is an utter, complete failure even greater than Jimmy Carter.

Then she can move on, to better, non-partisan candidates.

September 21, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kate

Yes he is inspirational, but inspiration is not what we need in the White House. Perhaps he can go be a Motiivational Speaker, or a preacher, but a president, absoutely not! He doesn't even listen to his people. He does whatever he wants, if the American people don't like it...tough. I can't wait to get rid of Obozo and his clan of cheats and liars!

September 21, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Harvey

Why are you so ignorant when it comes to politics?
      Bush did the same thing. Good luck finding a president who won't.
      It doesn't matter what side of the fence you're on, there is always going to be another side.
      Stop preaching like you and only you know what's going on and you're right.
      Makes you look like a loud mouth whiner...

September 21, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Oliver Z

I try to post a positive message, I do not get published. I post one with a more negative tone, and it gets published. Who is censoring this thing? What is the criteria? If I try to make my fellow human beings feel better then I have to be silenced?

September 21, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Oliver Z

Turns out it got fixed when I removed a three letter word that started with s, ended with x and was not sax. Wonder if the same rule would apply for an article on Sax Education???? 🙂

September 21, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tony

Wake up people, this was all an act they she and the Prez put on... These question were all rehursed and the Prez knoew what she would ask so he had someone prepare a response for him so it sounds like he cares...

September 21, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Harvey

Careful....your tin foil hat is slipping off..

September 21, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. termlimits

It's all of there fault. Clinton 8 years, Bush 8 years, Obamar 2 years and the House pushing the mortgage lenders to give home loans to most everyone even when they couldn't pay it. The Chinese started their unchecked manufactoring using near slave labor while Clinton was in office and it continues today. All of these MORONS are guilty for a buck. Your boy is just the latest in a long line of bull $ hit to come down the pike and his followers and the press are finally figuring that out! LOL!

September 21, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. johndoe5

I'm tired of listen to his lies

September 21, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Oliver Z

I think Marley said something like this: "The forces that want to divide us, they do not sleep. So why should we?". If anything in this country is going to change it is not Obama who will do it alone. It is us. The most important change America needs should happen inside us.

If we believe in not waiting for a government to solve our problems, then we will be okay. Obama can help a bit ease the situation, but it is only us who will get things moving forward. Forget the corporations that ship jobs overseas. Let us create our own enterprises and fight unemployment ourselves. But especially, let us all help each and every other so we don't depend on the cruelty of the banks which today hold us all back.

Let us fight the bigotry of some by showing examples of not tolerance, but of actual love for other human beings no matter their color, religion or gender or orientation. Politicians can say all that they want. They can tell us to hate eachother everyday, they can tell us that the man at the helm is a monster or call some of our human brothers parasites. But if we show them the real America they will become silent and in shame. "Let us lead by the power of example". When we have no money or we have no jobs or political power, we can still lead everyone else here and in the world by example, by being the most compassionate, most ingenious and most adventurous human beings we can be.

September 21, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

agree, the best comment so far "change comes from within"

September 21, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Confused

I would like to thank the Republican party with exchanging the fear of Communism with the new fear of Socialism. I give the human race about another 200 years before we make ourselves extinct. Darwinism cannot overcome complete ignorance that has enveloped the citizens on the United States.

Don't forget to "just say no" to your S.S check we wouldn't want to support the Socialist system would we? a return to the Depression would be so much more enjoyable.

As the comedian said."You can't fix stupid!"

September 21, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric Tedford

Social Security should be phased out. However, the govt will not do that because they want the money coming in from our checks.

September 21, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Im 'Elitist' because rightwhiners are stupid

Eric Tedford is a prime example of what happens when you pee the gene pool. Please dont pee in it folks. Thanks

September 21, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Not sure if it should be phased out but I would agree with phasing out the Billions given as a free handout to Isreal courtesy of the American Taxpayers every year, not to mention the rest of the money our elected representatives hand out to all the other countries. We even fund countries that we consider enemys. Interesting how elected officials thought extending money to the unemployed (who paid into the tax coffers while working) was a waste but giving it away to others outside of our borders is somehow a great idea. Why do we elect Democrats and Republicans over and over? Its because we believe that people who earn a living by lying ( lawyers) would never lie to us because they really care about us.

September 21, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |