September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. Chad C

I get a kick out of all of these Obama apologists that blame the previous administration for the economic woes ( amongst other things). Does anybody remember that the economy went down the tubes because of loans given to unsavory recipients at the hands of a Democratic Congress? Barney & Dodd would like you to forget that little "Unconvenient Truth", now wouldn't they? Liberals like to rewrite history it seems. Shouldn't be a surprise though, they are already doing it in school textbooks.

September 21, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • maggie

Chad, the buck stops at the top, just like it does now. When Bush came into office, Dodd and Frank had already been in Congress pushing the same bad policies that you complain of. This isn't new. Bush inherited a balanced budget and a surplus. He left us with a humongous mess.

September 21, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • maggie

By the way, there is no such word as "unconvenient."

September 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Yes it's the Democrats rewriting history.........../sarcasm If those people that bought into the "American Dream" had decent jobs then the housing market wouldn't have collapsed as it did. The rich and wealthy took the jobs and shipped them overseas.

One thing that I hope our history books get right, is how the Republicans were the party of obstructionists. Their big fat leader Limbaugh wanted Obama to fail, and the good little troops in the GOP are doing their best to carry out his orders. Let history reflect the unpatriotic acts of the Republicans, putting their selfish party interests ahead of the country's interests.

September 21, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Oliver Z

Up until the collapse those poor people were paying for their houses. When they started losing their jobs and money disappearing from the streets (pretty much like in the great depression) they started failing to pay.

Due to the lack of regulation and especially to the elimination of the rules that prohibited betting on failures, Wall Street and the Banks were more motivated to bet on a collapse and make a quick buck (actually a load of money) of the poor's demise than to try to fix the situation and renegotiate the loans with the people.... The People.... So they fooled the rich and not so rich into buying their fake bonds or whatever they called them and brought everyone down in a single epic crash altogether.

So, please don't blame anyone who wanted to be a decent human being and give the poor a place to live. If there were a hell it would be filled by people who say such things.

Greed may be good, but Evil Greed is just Evil, and that's what happened. Maybe Bush Sr., Clinton and Bush Jr. lacked the vision to protect the society against what happened, but now that it's all in the past the last thing we need is blaming it on the guy who's out there trying to fix it.

Think he is wrong? Debate and explain how. Don't just say taxes are bad. Don't just say No without helping. Bring a new idea and a solution to the table, prove that it works and defend it (that's what math was for). If you can't do it, then admit you may just be drinking the TEA from the pundits and maybe you should stand aside and let the man work.

September 21, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Quiet1

Sept. 20, 2010) — Yesterday, on Sunday, September 19, 2010, the Obama family attended church for only the third time in a year. They went on foot to the St. John’s Episcopal Church situated across the Lafayette Park.

But what is widely not reported by the White House and the MSM is that on that particular Sunday in that particular church, Dr. Ziad Asali, M.D., a Muslim, founder and president of the American Task Force on Palestine, was the guest speaker. He was there to speak on the subject of “Prospects of the two-state solution in the Middle-East.”

According to the website of the American Task Force on Palestine, it is a “non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC.” The organization describes itself as “dedicated to advocating that it is in the American national interest to promote an end to the conflict in the Middle East through a negotiated agreement that provides for two states – Israel and Palestine – living side by side in peace and security.”.

September 21, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • tessamalk

So the President went to listen to someone talk about peace in the Middle East; why is that a bad thing?

September 21, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. pat

Keep fighting with each other lefties and righties. The Oligarchs love this diversion so they can continue to pick your pockets. You are all serfs of the Corporate Overlords.

September 21, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • DC

Pat, allow me to ask a question. WHAT???

September 21, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. maggie

For all who say that Obama was a miserable failure, you hypocrites would have said the same about whomever would have been in office instead. He inherited this mess, remember? Anyone who thinks that the next occupant of that office would have snapped his or her fingers and made it all good again is a fool. I personally don't care who fixes it, so long as it is fixed. What, however, has any Republican offered as a solution? Other than to bash Obama personally and bash deficit spending before they were for it, can anyone please tell me what concrete plan anyone else who intends to run for office has for this country to restore jobs?

September 21, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • socalreader

I voted for Obama, Maggie – he's just done a lousy, lousy job. Period. You are the blind follower – not me

September 21, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jaycee

Maggie, you are already speaking in past tense! Obama IS a miserable failure! Over promise, under deliver. Its OK though, the sheeple will continue to follow because he is a great speaker! Really who cares if he is an inspirational speaker, if he cant back it up its worthless.

September 21, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Chad C

Maggie....."the buck stops here"....as you said in an previous post. You can't have it both ways. Obama needs to man up and take some accountability. It's easier for you guys to blame the previous admin, though. Keep blaming.....it'll be your party's demise in November.

September 21, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • maggie

For all of you who replied, you still haven't offered what someone else, whoever else, could have done or can do better, faster than Obama is trying to do. To call someone an abject failure after so comparatively little time is a bit much.

September 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • CartBeforeTheHorse

Maggie I made concrete suggestions. A sheeple accused me rather inchoaherently of being female plus having lost both my mind, and hope! Unfortunately, I know some rather brilliant people that do not possess practicality. Sometimes it is simply the order in which one accomplishes a list of goals.

September 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rick

I think you better read the LA reports, Obama stimulus equals 111 million and only 55 jobs, wow what a savings and building in jobs, just wow, haha

September 21, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Was that a company owned by a Republican? LOL

September 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • DC

Rick, when will everyone realize that this is a big problem, bigger than us. obama, is spending to help us all (Country). Bush, spent to taking lives, based on a "BIG WHITE LIE" you know the war.

September 21, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

What was the purpose of this video?

September 21, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jaycee

There is a difference between being a great motivational speaker and being able to motivate your party, congress & senate. He over promised and now is paying for it. Our government is too big to make any moves quickly and Obama is learning that just now because of his inexperience.

September 21, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jaycee

There is a difference between being a great motivational speaker and being able to motivate your party, congress & senate. He over promised and now is paying for it. The US government is too big to make any moves quickly and Obama is learning that just now because of his inexperience.

September 21, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Voodoo1

500,000 lobbyists employed in the USA. Tell me this isn't the problem.

September 21, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Wade

To all you Obama voters....you are getting what you asked for. Good luck

September 21, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

A health care program that's on par with second-world countries (as opposed to third world countries like we had before)?
      A president doing what he can to end these BOONDOGGLE wars that you're elected moron, Bush, got us into?
      The US not being a world laughingstock?

Yes, we are getting what we voted for. Oh by the way, Wade (by you're name I'm assuming you're some bible belt hillbilly from down souf), if you didn't notice, those "Yankee" blue states up north have the lowest levels of poverty in this country, even after being run by "commie sissies" for the past 30 years. The states with the highest level of poverty are right there in God's country - the bastion of American conservatism ever since the "southern strategy" began - Dixieland.

September 21, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

He isnt doing EVERYTHING he can to end the wars.

September 21, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Will you are a moron. The upper states (Illinois) is where Obama was leader.

September 21, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed to Paulie

Paulie stop! You really have my sides crackin'

September 21, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Thomas S.

He is an amazing leader, there have been many in the White House. Unfortunately, this one has to deal with an increasingly ignorant populous, who have been semi-retarded by Fox News and other right-wing media liars. Once upon a time Americans weren't so stupid and gullible that they would so readily swallow so much B.S. in such huge, steaming hunks.

September 21, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Will

Dear incompetent writers – it's "nation's CAPITAL", not "capitol". The CAPITOL is the legislative building, not the city, and is capitalized.

September 21, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. dinga

I am sorry but that woman sounds stupid and ignorant! Are we really that ignorant and naive? You can turn a countries economy around in a like 2 weeks? Let's see if I miss a few payments on my car, house or credit card in 6 months my credit will be damaged and it takes most likely over 2 years just to bring the scores back up. So you think that a country can turn a messed up economy around in less than 1 year 1/2?? Does anybody even know that the President still has to go through the house and congress? The republicans have devoted themselves to shoot down anything the Dems are doing if it is good for us or bad? They are the ones that do not care about us citizens.

The recession started in 2007 – Obama was elected in 2008 and started in Jan 2009. So this puppy has been in the brewing way before his administration. So that means that he is trying to fix what his predecessor left him. And we sit here rambling "I voted for change" well the news is that majority of Americans don't want change because if they did they wouldn't vote for these stupid republicans that love to throw roadblocks into everything. They have no problem putting some ditz named Sarah Palin as second in charge but now they don't like her. They want Nathan Deal in GA and he is about to file bankrupt and has all kinds of ethic investigations. They don't care who they put in office as long as they can't get control by any means necessary even if it means to crap on Americans

September 21, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed to Dings

And you are even more stupid than the woman to believe that voters with empty-wallets isn't an indicator of new incoming adminstration for 2012.

September 21, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. M Trought

How can one get exhausted defemding what is right. The fact is you cannot convert people who have hidden agendas like the GOP and teabaggers, however, I will not give up on people who have truly good intentions for all mankind.

September 21, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Faisal

these fake Christians in the world didn't learn a thing from Jesus teachings

September 21, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |