September 21st, 2010

Vets CFO on Obama: 'I am exhausted of defending you'

President Obama was hearing an earful from voters at a town hall meeting in the nation’s capitol yesterday.

Anger and disappointment was voiced by many in attendance, including Velma Hart, Chief Financial Officer for “American Vets” and Ted Brassfield, a law school grad. Hart and Brassfield spoke with CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning's" about their feelings on Obama and clarified some of their statements from the town hall.

Kiran Chetry: Velma, when you said you were getting tired of defending the president, it's exhausting. Have you lost faith in the president? Or do you think it's simply the circumstances we're in that he doesn't necessarily have control of.

Velma Hart: It is absolutely the latter. But I don't know that he doesn't have control of it. I still have great faith in this president. I think that he is an amazing leader. I think he is inspirational.

Kiran Chetry: Ted, you asked whether or not you thought the "American Dream" was still attainable. Why did you choose that question? I know that you had a lot on your mind. You had a lot that you discussed among your friends. Why did you ask about the "American Dream?"

Ted Brassfield: Well, it's a real problem that a lot of us who have advanced degrees - and people who are going to college, maybe they don't know why they went to college. But we are facing massive student loans. The entire generation is just often facing six figures even when you go to public universities. And you have people like me who had good jobs but went back to school. Society says if you work hard, if you go to school, we will have good jobs for you. And that's why it's - you're willing to take on a massive amount of debt. And it seems like that's been lost. And it's really hurting a lot of my cohort.

Kiran Chetry: Did you get the answer you were looking for from the president or any more clarity on it?

Ted Brassfield: I think that unfortunately I felt that the president answered very effectively all of the other questions he was asked by the audience. But like Velma, I thought that I had given him a lay-up to say this is why you should still have hope. And he didn't say that. He didn't answer it at all.

Kiran Chetry: Well, Velma, you said you're exhausted defending him. What do people who have criticisms of the president that talk to you say? What are their biggest beefs?

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are - even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I - and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I - you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan. I just - I’m tired of having debate - I think this is a moment of poker or something for me, maybe blackjack or 21. I want to have a card on the table that shuts the discussion and I don't have that yet.

Read more on American Morning's blog

1. Faisal

are we going to play eye for an eye tooth for a tooth till then end of the world?

September 21, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Will

The only people who expected Obama to fix all of our woes in two weeks are the same inbred morons who voted for Bush. These people wouldn't have voted for Obama anyway, so don't pay attention to them. They're just like Southerners in general - loud, obnoxous, bags of hot air. Their sound exaggerates their presence.

September 21, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Chad C

Will, I'm sure the stand up citizens signed up by ACORN on your side of the fence are pretty versed in politics. Not to mention the political pundits wielding night sticks at voter stations.

September 21, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Chad, you may want to do a search to check on the ACORN stories, apparently just like many of the things that were fed to a segment of our society, the accusations and fake film was proven to be untrue. Scary isn't it? Conservative Republicans creating things that are not true then broadcasting them over and over until people believe it to be true (Carl Rove).
      But the goal was accomplished ACORN no longer exists, now its time for you to focus all your efforts on the Kenyan born Muslim in the White House that is trying to destroy the fabric of our great country. (this is sarcasm)

September 21, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. BostonDan

No bigger fool than one who glorifies and trusts a politician, whether that politician is a city council leader, community organizier, senator or president.

September 21, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. mark

My question for the lefties and all your supposed great things your president has done. At what point is too much government too much? Just let me live my life. Stay out!

September 21, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Now Mark you know it is 3 or 4 words that will be the response, depending on they wish to phrase it.

Its You are a racist, or You're a racist.

No matter what you ask the Democrat that is all they are programmed to say.

How sad is that the only reason Obama was elected is so white liberals can defend liberalism by calling each and every Americans who dares to question the ideology a racist.

September 21, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • mark

That is sad. Kinda a disgrace. We would never stoop as low as the Dems but wouldn't it be funny if some of our top republican black leaders would start saying everyones a racist?

September 21, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Doug

Wow, you got to be extremely lazy to be tired of defending Obama. The Democrat offers just 3 words, no matter the subject, the issue, the debate, they only say 3 words and those 3 words they believe makes them the winner no questions asked.

Example: "Can you explain why you think that the healthcare bill will benefit America",

DEMOCRAT ANSWER: "You are a racist"

"Obama said unemployment would never go above 8% thanks to his stimulus, what happened?"

DEMOCRAT ANSWER: "You are a racist"

I suggest that if lib is getting tired that it just record those 3 words in a tape recorder, you can also save the 3 words in word then copy them into your posts here at cnn as well.

September 21, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Chad C

Spot on Doug!

September 21, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Yep, Doug! Agreed. All Democrats know how to do when defending Obama is accuse others of being racist. Hypocrisy is THE hallmark of the Democratic Party.

September 21, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

Of course anyone who supports OUR President is exhausted. Debunking all the right wing lies, distortions and attacks is a FULL TIME job.

When you have FoxNoise continually giving loonies a place to air their paranoia and tin hat beliefs it takes a lot of time and effort to set the record straight.

September 21, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Well right wing lies is defined by Webster as either truth or facts, but really Tom if saying ad nausium "You're a racist" makes lib lib tired, then lib lib should reduce activities to once a month walking up to the mailbox and picking up the government cheese of the backs of the "racist" Americans.

Isn't it funny how a former klan member says the N word on national TV but he has never once been called a racist by a single Democrat in all of America? Oh yeah, Robert Byrd was a DEMOCRAT SENATOR, free pass for every white lib, yeah Dr. King would so support that!

September 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. sun52shine

I agree with the exhaustion statement; we all have been pushed to a new limit with the lies coming from the Tea party leaders and Fox cable news. But this President desires the opportunity afforded to each President prior to him. We must keep our eyes on the prize and not allow our focus to be drowned out by the crazies.

September 21, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Truth

They wouldn't have to work so hard defending Obama if his decisions and leadership would actually accomplish something.

September 21, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. mark

Dinga says it perfect admitting that everything has to go through the house and senate. They say the recession started in 2007. Democrats took over the house and senate in 2006. So President Bush wasn't responsible is what your saying?

Seems to me this country was prospering from 2002 through 2007. Anyone care to argue that?

As far as bashing fox news, have you ever watched it? I watch all stations and make informed judgements.

September 21, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike Distance

2000-2008 were the glory years for modern day America.
      God bless you sir for recognizing this!
      All you Fox News bashers, have you ever actually watched it? It is the only fair and balanced source of information in the entire liberal media.
      We will not point fingers, we will let history be the judge of President Bush, Obama on the other hand, it's obvious, his policies are hurting America.

September 21, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Al

Finally someone that actually remembers history. I saw the fiasco coming as soon as the Dems took over under Bush's presidency. I saw in everything they did that they wanted to economy to fail so they could with elections. That's putting country first?

I also watch FOX, and also CNN, and MSNBC (although I got to admit I can't stomach them too much), and read from lots of other sources. For all of you that complain about FOX, maybe the problem is with you. Maybe you're just not tolerant of opinions that don't match your own. Look inward, you may just learn something.

September 21, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • unretired05

What country are you from? China

September 21, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. David

I would count the President as having failed. Failed on two major fronts. First he failed to live up to what was the heart of his commitment when he ran for the office, openness and change. Without the supermajority in congress the President would have likely failed on every bit of what he has done. So much for open and transparent, most of what this President has done is been behind closed doors with fellow Dem’s. They cry about the other side obstructing or saying no, what do they expect when the legislation is done in a back room Dem’s only deals! For all the high ground we heard about in 2008, the result has been Chicago politics taken to national level. Second is on the international front. For all the good will he started off with, most of it is evaporated. It’s so good to see how well talking to Iran or North Korea has helped solve those situations. His wonderful handling with Russia has them flying combat jets in low level fly over’s of our ships and having to send up our fighters to turn back Russian bombers. Great way to show respect … not.

September 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

David, great point. This is ABSOLUTELY "Chicago politics taken to a national level." I hadn't thought of it that way before but that's a perfect way to describe what's going on (and evidently the only way Obama knows how to behave).

September 21, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joseph

It is possible to disagree with the President and his policy goals and still be a patriotic American. "Dissent is not disloyalty." H.R. Clinton.

September 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Clear

If we confuse dissent with disloyalty — if we deny the right of the individual to be wrong, unpopular, eccentric or unorthodox — if we deny the essence of racial equality then hundreds of millions in Asia and Africa who are shopping about for a new allegiance will conclude that we are concerned to defend a myth and our present privileged status. Every act that denies or limits the freedom of the individual in this country costs us the ... confidence of men and women who aspire to that freedom and independence of which we speak and for which our ancestors fought. -e. r. murrow

September 21, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mike Distance

Exhausted after 2 years?
    This shows the weakness of the Left.
    True Republicans with faith, honor, dignity and integrity defended President Bush for 8 years with the strength, resolve and an absolute blind faith that would make any freedom loving patriot proud despite overwhelming proof of incompetence, malfeasance, cover-up and corruption.

God Bless America! A land where even the toast and fries are free!

September 21, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

This just goes to show how stupid people are in this country. Sure a lot of us are hurting, but let's put the blame where it belongs. It was a Republican president and Congress that caused the economic problems by doing things like making it profitable for companies to ship jobs overseas, giving tax cuts to the rich, allowing Wall St. to screw us. And it is a bunch of sad little Republicans who refuse to work with the President to do "Anything"that will help the middle class. And you want to blame the man who has gotten the economy back to some stability, passed reform for Health Care and Wall st. even with the Republicans acting like asses. Where was the Racist Tea Party when a white President was killing the country. Look at the FACTS people. (if you can)

September 21, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Mike, if there is ANYONE who needs to look at the facts, it's you. You're not even REMOTELY objective but are instead shoveling the standard, hate-filled propaganda that the DNC has created in their panicked state. The last two years of Bush's administration had a Democrat-controlled Congress, and Obama has had two more. There are major rifts within the Democratic party. If you think Obama and Pelosi TRULY want to work with the GOP, you're delusional. All they're doing is essentially saying "agree with us or else". STOP pointing the finger at others when it's so obvious that the major problems are within the Democratic party. You've had control of the Executive Branch and the Congress for two years...why aren't you able to get things done???

September 21, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Confused

Since we are using the word "facts" then isn't it also true that the last 2 years of Bush included him stating that he would VETO anything the Democrat controlled Congress attempted to pass. Just curious since you brought it up

September 21, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ekricket

Ummm,
    Hitler was inspirational.
    Stalin was inspirational
    Lenin was inspirational

Inspiration is easy. What they are inspiring makes a difference.
    When you have no apples you shake the tree, because even half bad apples are better than no apples.

Velma Hart: That he's all talk and no action, which I absolutely disagree with. I think the health care reform bill is action. I think the student loan legislation is action. I think there are – even, you know, like it or hate it, even the financial reform is action. So I don't get that argument. And I – and I get pretty passionate about it. I can't tell you I stand on top of tables and, you know, bang my head against the wall, but I believe in him. And I – you know, there's something about what he communicates that makes me believe that he's got a plan.

Killing Jews by the thousands was "taking action" and a "Plan".
    Stalins "Great Purge" was "taking action" and a "Plan"
    Lenin's "Marxism" was "taking action" and a "Plan"

Sometimes you have to be careful of "great motivators" who are "taking action" and have a "plan"

September 21, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Russel

Look dude...I am no fan of Obama, but going the path of comparing Obama to Hitler, Stalin and Lenin is just uncalled for. Those far reaching extremist arguments serve no other purpose than to further divide. Its the same as the wacko left comparing Bush to Hitler.

So is the new norm now that every time one side disagrees with the President, they get to compare the President to the worst dictators in the history of the world? Please. You have a brain, please try to use it.

September 21, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Smith

as much as I may disagree with some of the President's policies, I will NOT compare him to hitler, stalin, or any other leader in a thinly veiled attempt to deminish our chosen leader. Part of your responsibility is to disagree and dissent, not to denigrate or disrespect. Like it or not, he is the POTUS and as such, represents us all. That's one of the problems, blacks and whites alike thinking that he is the black folks president which is rediculous.

September 21, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tina

I totally agree with Olive Z. You said what I think others are feeling and thinking. I have a child in college now first year and we as her parents are trying our darnest to not have any loans for her. People on here can talk about OUR President all they want but he did not create these problems for us. We have blame also. I appreciate my President for doing what he has done so far.

September 21, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |