September 22nd, 2010

5 million cans of Similac infant formula being recalled by company

Abbott Laboratories said Wednesday that it has issued a recall of approximately 5 million cans of certain Similac-brand powdered infant formula due to the possibility of the presence a beetle.

Abbott spokeswoman Melissa Brotz said that the presence of a small common beetle was detected in the product produced at a manufacturing facility in Sturgis, Michigan.

The company has since stopped production and shipment of the affected formula, and contacted the Food and Drug Administration to initiate the recall.

The recall includes certain Similac powder product lines that come in 8-ounce, 12.4-ounce, and 12.9-ounce cans. Abbott liquid formula is not a part of the recall.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Consumer safety
  1. lisa

I am a Board Certified Lactation Consultant and fortunate to practice in a Baby Friendly facility in which care providers support a family's goal to breastfeed and provide everything possible to help them reach their goal. We are NOT anti-formula and use it as medically indicated, or in supporting the family's choice after education. This recall impacts our efforts as well, but it also provides some "food for thought" regarding the choices parents make for their infants.

There are true medical reasons why some women may not be able to produce a full milk supply – I am not speaking to those mothers. I am, however, speaking to the population of parents who choose artificial infant milk due to inaccurate or obsolete information...most importantly to those who choose infant formula for superficial reasons. This is not a breastfeeding class, or a lecture by any means. This is a moment to stop and consider the choices we make in our lives and the impact it can have. We either reap the rewards or suffer the consequences when it's all said and done.

History can never be rewritten, but education and learning opportunities make us all richer. Abbott Laboratories has provided the lactation community with an excellent addition to the evidence-based research that scientifically proves that human milk is designed for the health and well-being of human babies! The Gold Standard.

September 23, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Aling

did any of u people with sick babies think maybe they have the flu going around as well? because the country is sick...i am very angry with similac brand right now...but i still blame common illness for a lt of this problem. i will NEVER USE SIMILAC AGAIN though

September 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Amy

I wish that I could have breastfed. It was hard because at the beginning my son had to have surgery after birth and wasnt aloud to have anything by mouth. So that was definitely one hurdle. Another hurdle being that I am on some medications that definitely say not to breastfeed while taking. He is now 8 mos. and I cant go back even if I did want to do all that I could do to give him breast milk. Dang!

September 23, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Really

It is interesting that so many of your infants are now sick when most of the articles indicate less than 2% of the formula tested has any irregularities. I have 2 children, and they both consumed all sorts of things while crawling on the ground. It seems a little common sense would calm your emotions. Having talked with my Pediatrician and others in healthcare, none of them seemed to be concerned. As stated above, maybe these children are just sick with whatever has been going around.....

September 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Food for thought

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this issue. Rather than those without sick kids making fun of those with sick kids and concerned parents why can't everyone be supportive. We love our babies and want the best for them. And if you take the "less than 2%" angle, that is 2% of 5 MILLION cans... That comes out to around a 100,000 cans of bad formula. I agree...Statistically speaking 2% is not bad. BUT it IS bad if you are one of the 100,000 people with cans that have contamination and a sick infant! Let's support one another rather than pick at each other!!!!!!

September 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessi

Amen! Let's just hope our babies all recover with no long term side effects because that's what really matters.

September 28, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. formulababy

My daughter has always been a Similac baby due to breastfeeding issues but she was only fed the liquid formula. Due to cost cutting, I had recently switched her to the Similac powder formula. She never liked it as much but I must agree the re-called brand was acting funny on her. Her intake has reduced significantly and I was worried until I read this article. Liquid formula it is! That is if I find one.

September 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessi

I read on another site that someone found a bug in the liquid formula. You may want to consider switching brands. Just wanted you to know.

September 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Megan

Just to let ya'll know its not just the T20 lot numbers, mine all ended in RB6 and they were all recalled.

September 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. alexis

I has a new born who I breastfeed until about 6 days ago I started giving him simlilac formula its weird because the formula was very bubbly when I would mix it and everytime he eats he would throw up the other day he didn't even poop once im not sure if its from switching from breast milk to formula or if its some kink of side afect from the similac but after I heard about the recall I switched to enfamil way more expensive but my babies health is more important.

October 5, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. david&storm

My girlfriend and I had a five month old and she couldnt brast feed after a while due to personal reasons. We trusted similac for a long time. It was the only thing he would eat. We noticed the symptoms about 15 days before the recall. we had him checked out and all was well till about five days later when my girl found him having trouble breathing. Both of us and a cop and the paramedics gave him cpr. they say the recall isn't fatal but he didn't make it. he asperated. the recall came out ten days after he died dont feed this to ur children. We lost one of the most important things in our lives. He could not be revived due to the beetle particles and larvae found on his lungs. If the recall had come sooner my son would still be here. We have a new baby due in may and we will never ever trust similac again and niether will any member of your family as we said before do not feed this formula to your children.

March 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |