September 22nd, 2010

5 million cans of Similac infant formula being recalled by company

Abbott Laboratories said Wednesday that it has issued a recall of approximately 5 million cans of certain Similac-brand powdered infant formula due to the possibility of the presence a beetle.

Abbott spokeswoman Melissa Brotz said that the presence of a small common beetle was detected in the product produced at a manufacturing facility in Sturgis, Michigan.

The company has since stopped production and shipment of the affected formula, and contacted the Food and Drug Administration to initiate the recall.

The recall includes certain Similac powder product lines that come in 8-ounce, 12.4-ounce, and 12.9-ounce cans. Abbott liquid formula is not a part of the recall.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Consumer safety
  1. Similac Team

Dear Lindsay and any others trying to access the site, We sincerely apologize for the site difficulties we are currently experiencing at http://www.similac.com. We are working diligently to resolve the issues and expect to have it resolved soon. Please check back later to determine if you have any of the impacted powder product and arrange for return and reimbursement. Thank you for your patience. ~ Similac Team

September 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed Says Better than breastmilk!

LOL, Is Abbot trying to bootleg a new brand??
      Beetlejuice beetlejuice TM

September 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

September 23, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Well, work faster I went to Walmart and because no one can access the recalls THE WHOLE LIQUID ones are SOLD OUT, please tell me what I'm supposed to do with a newborn baby that should be fed every 2 hours tonight. And your 800 number is busy. .. What do we do?

September 23, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • luc

the hotline Abbott provided is not accepting any calls at this time and the web site is not answering all of my questions.
      i have 25 affected cans which i sent to my sister overseas and need to arrange for shipping and reimbursement. who should i call????

September 23, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Amber

My Grandson had GI issues too, is there any new information on the recall?? I haven't seen anything on the local news. We've been running ragged trying to buy the quickly disappearing liquid formula. I would love an update on the situation!!!

September 30, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Falene

Just another reason why breastfeeding is the way to go.

September 22, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

If I would have been able to breastfeed I would have, your forgetting the thousands of mom that tried and unfortunately were unable too. Not fair to say that, and plus Similac is "supposed" to be the number one trusted government brand most given at hospitals when mothers cant or wont breastfeed. I wish I could have.

September 23, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Brandie

You are obnoxious. Not even the point.

September 23, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed Says Good point

True breastfeeding is the best. But not everyone can breastfeed due to medications, etc

September 23, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Lbuckne

Some moms have babies that were lovingly adopted.

September 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandi

What a low statement to say. I worked hard at breastfeeding my baby for 2 months but had to stop because it was upsetting her stomach so much. After I got her on Similac soy formula, she was a lot better. It's great that you are able to breastfeed, good job..but don't judge those who aren't.

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Edgar

The powdered milks we bought are included in the Similac recall. My 16-month old daughter suffered excessive throwing-ups last night. I have to call her Pediatrician and hydrate her with Pedialyte all night as per instruction. Wife and I were worried sick all night, hoping she would be okay. She seem to have lost weight from her vomiting. She is under observation right now. Are there any future implications to drinking this bad Similac milks? Please help.

Our daughter also had fever for about three days prior to the throw-ups. We bought four 22-oz Go and Grow and she already consumed one can and was half-way through the second when the Recall notice got to our attention.

September 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alana

How were you able to find out if your formula was included in the recall? I cannot get on the site, but we have 4 cans all with different lot numbers (the 2-digit number on the front right) and my son has been sick with GI symptoms and refusing to eat for over a week now.

September 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steven

why does kroger say their is no recall

September 23, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Megan

I am seriously upset, they tell you it's been recalled, yet I have a newborn baby who was currently drinking a bottle made from one of the cans when I heard the news. Then when I tried the 800-986-8850 number ITS BUSY constantly. I tried online where everything I found stated to look up if your can is recalled at http://www.similac.com/recall, the WEBSITE states its no longer available. As a parent of a newborn baby this is ubsurd, I'm going to walmart at midnight on a school night for my other kindergarton child to buy liquid formula thanks to the fact I cannot find out if my can has got BEETLES in it. CNN should definately research why they didnt have the resources available to find out which cans had been recalled.

September 23, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Went to WALMART, theres no liquid cans left there all sold out. Please tell us what were supposed to do, RIDICULOUS

September 23, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed Says Good point

Check with your pediatrician for alternatives...can use whole milk with sterilization and Karo syrup...can use goat milk, or soy-based milk

September 23, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Grammar Beetle

The grammar here is egregious. Did you people actually graduate high school?

Another example of why the U.S. is becoming third world.

September 23, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Agreed. It's embarrassing.

September 23, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed Say nothin' better to do!

Where's the bug spray for grammar beetle and Bill the ladybug?

September 23, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Angry father

I find it very egregious that you have the audacity to correct concerned peoples grammar when they are concerned about the well being of their children. You sir, are an a**hole.

September 24, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Leo

We thought Similac was safe.

Is there any other side effect of this contamination? It's hard to believe that the contaminated formula has ONLY beetle stuff and the "PURE" similac. Is it related to diarrhea?

I have a pile of containers in front of me, all of them are being recalled and with which my precious was fed. Some of them were bought 10 months before.

Why is this recall coming such late?
    Must have customer complained about the contamination months ago.

For those don't have access to the recall look, I have my recalled # here for your reference. It seems that we should be very cautious to lot# ending with T2 and T20.

[milk-based]
    81672T2
    84286T2
    83039T2
    84270T2
    88159T20
    91458t20

[soy-based]
    87837T20
    80589T2
    84294T2
    87008T20

This would be one of the daddy-scared stories we would tell our children when they grow up. Wish it can be told in a positive way since we still have the opportunity.

September 23, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Michele

I have been trying to call and get information online, but no luck. Thank you for posting the information!

September 23, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

That is funny. So I checked some of the old container that we have kept for crayons and things and found a couple of the numbers. This is perfect most of the formula has been consumed so it shouldnt affect to many kids now. And the finacial lost should be minimal. I will continue to use Similac because it is all that my "precious" little girl will drink. She will spit Infamal in your eye. She is so cute!!

September 23, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • heidi

put please know that these are not the only ones recalled....86771rb6 is also recalled

September 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandenjd

for additional info..you can visit similac.com/recall once at the site, type in the lot number to determine if your product is affected or just follow the example on the site.

September 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Floria sigmundi

This is just a clear sign that people need to save their money and whip out what nature gave them it's so much easier and convenient

Check out this video on YouTube

September 23, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

WOW did that for a year. Daughter has milk allergy and uses similac as a supplement.

September 23, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. miah

i can understand where this causes chaos, i have two kids myself but mine are on infimel or whatever, but to those who are being a doosh about it like whip out what mother nature gave you, thats retarded and when will you grow??? im a father and love my kids and want the best my my kids doctors said times are very tough it wont kill them if you must switch brands of formula because one is cheaper than the other!!! so my suggestion is if the is another brand maybe, then look into it, there is not much difference than the name of the brand, and if you think about it, the administration of food and health or whatever, require standards on formula for the health so basically they are all the same just different names!!!

September 23, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

Actually there is a diffrence. Not to us but to the kids. They taste and smell diffrent. It is like loving cow milk and switching to almond or rice milk. My daughter has spit infamil at me more than once.

September 23, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Thank you! I agree not all moms can breastfeed. Either way THE POINT IS.. that these are our children! I have a 2 month old baby, who has had problems since she started on this formula,and I've told her pedetricians and they keep saying give her time give her time. AND THEN THIS.. I think it's been going on for a lot longer, my local news stated they found the bugs a week ago, and were just now hearing about the recall, I understand there are procedures with the FDA to ensure if it's a danger or not, BUT THERE ARE BEETLES AND LARVAE in my childs formula. How is that not posing immediate danger? Urgh, very upset. And since I can find no way to access if my cans have these bugs in them or not, I just went and bought liquid form. Ofcourse, they were sold out everywhere, finally found a store where a nice lady pulled me some from the back.

September 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I am so happy to read these posts! I have a baby that is on Similac and I don't have the option of going back to breast feeding. I work!!! How can I rely on our food source if things like this keep happening. My infant also started vomiting on Saturday and it moved to a GI issue. I thought it was just a virus but no Similac didn't want to take the time to make sure their factories are clean and safe for our children. Be assured I will not buy from them again!

September 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. grandma

I cant get through to them. Can u post numbers for us? Added protein, I guess!! yuck!!!

September 23, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Similac Team

If you're having trouble getting through to our Similac recall consumer hotline, we have added a new, additional phone # for you: 888-376-2054. Please give us a call, 24/7. We'd like to hear from you! ~Similac Team

September 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*TomasinaC

My 4 week old baby has been drinking recalled isomil powder for the last 10 days. I became worried last week when his poop contained mucous and blood and I brought him to the dr who thought it might have been from him straining himself. He also has been extremely fussy and gassy. He cries in pain in his sleep and when you push his belly he also has gone from eating 4 ounces to 1 or 2 each serving. He has thrown up several times and has become congested and coughing. After speaking w two other moms their babies are experiencing similar side effects Clearly it is because of the contaminated formula. I am so upset my poor baby.

September 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

OH my gosh, poor thing. I still don't know if my cans are affected or not, but I've been having trouble with this formula from the get-go. I hope yours gets better, and mine is acting the same way, they say not to worry, but these babies are not eating for weeks at a time. It's not okay, and someone better make it right.

September 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZR

TomasinaC ... we have a similar situation. our daughter is now 40 days old and she has been fed with recalled similac and except for the blood in the stool, surprisingly all other symptoms are alike. We are going to her Dr. tomorrow to find out more. Thanks for the post.

September 24, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Amy

Hearing that one can is contaminated with beetles makes me think that ALL are contaminated. That is how I see it. I have 10 in my cabinet and I am freaking out. Isn't it kinda crazy how everything baby is usually recalled. From baby cribs to formula!?! Oh and WHY??? are they not telling EVERYONE what type of beetle? Telling us its a common beetles says nothing!!!!!!

September 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Amy

*a common beetle

September 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Right, a common beetle? What crap is that, tell ANY of us mothers of BABIES... That its okay to have beetles in the only thing they have to eat.. Ridiculous, I agree I think they are ALL contaminated. And will do everything in my power never to use Similac again. Especially since they dont even give us access to see if our cans have been recalled, they still dont have website up and working, or the 800 number. Similac and Abbott are responsible and need to provide access to us worried mothers.

September 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessi

I read on another site that it's the same beetle found in cake mixes and flour that has gone bad.

September 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lyndsay

so gross. did anyone have trouble returning the formula without a receipt?

September 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • mother of 3

No, I returned it without a problem with no receipt. They gave me cash back and I went and bought Enfamil. I have 6 month old twins who have only had Similac and they have not seemed to notice the difference at all.

September 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I was wondering the same thing!?

September 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lilbit

If you want a list of recalled similac formula go to the website similac.com and they will have a section at the top that provides a pdf that you click on then you will have 38 pages to look through to find out if your formula is on there or not. That is how I did it and had no trouble.

September 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |