September 22nd, 2010

Scientists find new dinosaurs related to Triceratops

Utahceratops gettyi was found in Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

Fossils of two new species of horned dinosaurs closely related to the Triceratops have been discovered in southern Utah, scientists revealed Wednesday.

The discovery of the new plant-eating species, which are believed to have areas known today as the western United States during the Late Cretaceous Period, was announced Wednesday in the online open-access journal PLoS ONE, produced by the Public Library of Science.

The bigger of the two new dinosaurs, with a skull about 7 feet long, is Utahceratops gettyi, whose name combines the state of origin with ceratops, Greek for “horned face.” The second part of the name honors Mike Getty, paleontology collections manager at the Utah Museum of Natural History and the discoverer of this animal.

Kosmoceratops richardsoni

With 31 skull "ornamentations," including 15 horns, Kosmoceratops richardsoni takes its name from the Latin word for "ornate." Its horns - located over the nose, atop each eye, at the tip of each cheek bone, and ten across the rear margin of the bony frill—make it the most ornate-headed dinosaur known. The latter part of the name honors Scott Richardson, the volunteer who discovered two skulls of this animal.

The newly discovered dinosaurs were inhabitants of the “lost continent” of Laramidia, the western portion of North America that formed when a shallow sea flooded the central region, isolating the eastern and western portions of the continent for millions of years during the Late Cretaceous Period.

Utahceratops and Kosmoceratops are the two latest species to be unearthed in Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, which is proving to be a "treasure trove" for palenotologists in the new millenium, Mark Loewenof the Utah Museum of Natural History said.

Most of the dinosaurs that fill the North America's museums come from Alberta, Canada, but with most of the region thoroughly picked over, more and more new discoveries are coming out of southern North America.

"Every dinosaur we're finding is related to others we've already seen but a completely new species," said Loewen, a paleontologist who participated in the study. "We have to change our views on why they were living in the same time slice, but completely different from those living in Canada."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Utah
  1. TheTruthShallSetUFree

There is no such thing as "GOD"....damn people, stop it already with the hard belief in a fairy tale character!!!....Dino's Rule....lol does the "Bible" even mention the FACT that Dino's did roam the earth???...Fools, I tell ya, FOOLS!!...

September 23, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • js

"does the "Bible" even mention the FACT that Dino's did roam the earth???"

Take a look at Job 40:15-24 and Job 41:1-34.

September 23, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Thorrsman

You make the claim, now show your proof.

September 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TheTruthShallSetUFree

"GOD" was created by man to control man. People really need to think about common sense and start using it.....GOD is every beilievers "boogie man"....PUHLEEZ....stop the nonsense...

September 23, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ren

Why does Kosmoceratops richardsoni have a Color Me Bad hair cut?

September 23, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • PCola Vet

Actually Ren, Kosmo, ( not Kramer, lol), is Greek, and ceratops is a Latinized compound of a set of 2 Greek words. Complicated I know. This particular ceratops I find unusual in the way it would defend itself, as nature tends to give animals certain special ways to ward off attackers, but based on the picture, it's horns all seem to bend downwards, unlike the Triceratops whose horns are relatively straight for better defense. Very interesting though.

September 23, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel

For what it's worth, Kosmoceratops gets in name from Greek, not Latin.

September 23, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. steeve-o

I wish I could discover a dinsoaur, that way I could insult the Latin language by putting an "i" at the end of my name and name the dinosaur after myself in a self- gratifying fashion.
    And when I win the lottery (and I will), I will name that after me, too.

September 23, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Come one CNN. We all know Dinosaur bones were put here to test our faith by god. The Earth is only 6000 years old, just ask Sarah Pailin.

September 23, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. willmarshal

Have none of you seen land of the lost! Their brains are the size of Walnuts, but the Walnuts are crazy big.

September 23, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Confused

A month or so ago a study came out claiming that Triceratops never even existed, now there are more Triceratops. Whats going on?

September 23, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. I_Hustle

I hope I don't come off as crazy but I wholeheartedly agree with Jim Brieske. I might not know all the science of evolution and whatnot but I have seen them. Everyone pictures aliens to look like these bug eyed big headed little men but they don't look like that at all. If anything they are closer to the size of Shaq or Yao ming. They are HUGE. Their skin is tough like an alligator but not as bumpy. The funny thing is that they spoke broken english and sounded the way an African person does speaking english. They took me to their planet which was called Mir or Meer or something like that. One of the first things I noticed there was, you guessed it, dinosaurs!! They weren't like the fossils and pictures we see here. The biggest one was about the size of an elephant and had a head and neck like a giraffe. The plant life was very similar and so were the bugs but in their "city" I got my biggest shock. It was not at all as advanced as I expected. It was very very very close to a major metropolitan city here with the exception of suits.
    There was so much more that I saw before they sent me back in a pod like thing. The experience is one that I will never forget.

September 23, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dru Richman

The real reason dinosaurs became extinct:

September 23, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. scientists are all dirty liers

Well thats weird....I was told that the earth was only 9000 years old by someone who was told be god. This Dino must be a scam! -A huge, worldwide, well coordinated conspiracy!

September 23, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Big John

A professional journalist should know how to spell millennium.

Enough said.

September 23, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

LMAO! The last time they did this they turned around and said it was a baby version of the same species lmao. Now they will tell us a year later this is the Triceratops equivalent of Rickets LMFAO! Give me a break, a Triceratops is a Triceratops!

September 23, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kleppie the Hypochondriac Clown

Dinosaurs are dinosaurs.

September 23, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. kvtrav

When I saw this dinosaur, only one possible name jumped into my head....'Carnivalasaurus'...just look at that head-dress!!! (Maybe he's from Rio)

September 23, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |