September 22nd, 2010

Wednesday's intriguing people

Jim Gorant

With Michael Vick starting for the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend, it appears the controversial quarterback’s NFL career has been rehabilitated. Another tale of rehabilitation appears in a book out this week about the 51 pit bulls recovered from Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels.

“The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick’s Dogs and Their Tale of Recovery and Redemption” is written by Sports Illustrated senior writer Jim Gorant. It chronicles the fate of the 49 remaining dogs. The professional athlete served nearly two years in prison on charges related to the dogfighting ring and mistreatment of the dogs.

Usually animals from illegal dogfighting operations are euthanized, according to Stephen Zawistowski, a psychologist and ASPCA animal behavior specialist who worked on the Vick case. In an interview this week with NPR, he said the $1 million Vick paid in restitution gave the ASPCA a unique opportunity to rehabilitate most of the dogs. In the end, only one was euthanized, while the rest were placed in dog sanctuaries or have been adopted.

Gorant argues that the Vick case may help rehabilitate the reputation of pit bulls as well. "As odd as it may seem, Michael Vick may be the best thing that ever happened to the pit bull,” he told NPR. “He gave the forum to discuss this and make it possible to get the message out there that these dogs are not what they've been made out to be in the headlines, that they really are just sort of dogs."

SI.com: What happened to Vick's dogs?

NPR: The road to recovery for Michael Vick's dogs

Bob Woodward

It’s not your imagination – the renowned Washington Post reporter and associate editor really does publish a book every couple of years containing some sort of bombshell about how a president has handled a crisis. What makes it intriguing is that Woodward does so with the cooperation of each administration he covers, whether the administration really wants him there or not.

Politico’s Mike Allen and John Harris wrote on Tuesday, “Early in President Barack Obama’s term, he and his aides faced a rite of passage familiar to every White House for the past 40 years: What to do about Woodward?”

Clearly the president gave Woodward his time — as did many administration officials. The first glimpse of details from “Obama’s War” made headlines Wednesday in The Washington Post.

When the book hits stores on September 27, readers will find out what an hour-long interview with the young commander in chief revealed about the current U.S. war strategies. The book will also feature standard Woodward elements: Eighteen months of reporting, classified memos, staff portraits, and the always-present inner-circle conflict.

Trying to get around Woodward is futile, Politico suggests. “At times during the reporting, according to administration officials and other sources familiar with the book, Woodward surprised top defense and intelligence officials by coming in for interviews armed with classified maps, in some cases labeled with code names for clandestine operations.”

Woodward has written 16 other books for publisher Simon & Schuster, starting with the legendary “All the President’s Men.”

CNN: Official defends Obama ahead of revelations in Woodward book

1. Marco

Most of you haters are probably struggling in this great oppotunistic economy. Too dumb to know how to earn money in a downturn. And here's Vick, a dogfighting, ni...., livin large. lmao.

September 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Davey Jones

Vick should be torn apart by wild animals. That would be justice. Til then, maybe cancer will start the process from the inside out.

September 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marco

My boxer is ready to go.....any pitbulls wanna take him on?

September 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. V

People need to chill out. I don't see anyone getting this up in arms about Donte Stallworth, or anyone who actually killed HUMANS. This was a huge part of his culture and he made a mistake. Vick served the time sentenced to him and anyone who thinks that people who make mistakes should be euthanized should probably be euthanized themselves. Seriously, grow up.

September 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

too funny – you rag on folks who talking about euthanizing (??) Vick then you say they should be euthanized – THEN you tell them to grow up! Health thy self, brother. LOL!

September 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bug Killer

The eagles already sucked... now that they are starting a worthless excuse for a human being they really really suck.

September 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tpod

someone said something about the eagles as a team and the entire eagles' fan base being an embarrassment.

i'd actually really like to know what the eagles' fan base has done to be deemed 'an embarrassment.' last i checked, michael vick was the one who perpetrated the abuse against the pretty dogs, not the eagles, or their fans...

and, no, i'm not an eagles fan. i actually couldn't care less about vick's starting position with the team, though that's all the talk around our house these days. i'm more concerned with what i'm going to cook on sunday than i am with who's going to be tossing the pigskin, but that's the other half of the fun, in my opinon. 🙂

September 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jj

Pitbulls will always be an aggressive dog, it's in their instincts and nature. Why do you think so many owners are "shocked and dismayed" because their pit B just mutilated and killed a 3 year old child?
    These animals should be banned -or- permitted with a valid permit after someone makes sure the owner is suitable and not out to make a killing machine.

September 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHY ?

Why is it if pitbulls are such killers, there is a monument in Gettysburg for the 11th Pennslyvania Infantry with a pitbull on it ? Her name is Sally I think. Haven't seen it since I was a youngster.

It seems to be logical to think if they are geneticaly vicious, we would have banned them over 100 years ago. Maybe, humans have something to do with it. Why did we never heard such things about this dog 30 years ago ?

I don't own a dog, so I'm not defending. I just can't understand why people blame the animal when they are the ones that create the problems.

September 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kitty kat

people who say dogs can't be changed are WRONG! And it really IS bad owners, not bad dogs.
    My BIL has a pitbull and she is SO sweet. Not an ounce of aggression in her.

September 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kelly

Letting a guy who committed a felony make more money than the average law abiding citizen. Very, very poor message to send, especially to those foolish enough to admire a creep like Vick. I guess that the Philadelphia Eagles do not have the question on their application (have you committed a felony...) you and I couldn't get a job at McDonald's with that on our record, yet he is rewarded just simply because he was born a good athlete who clearly makes poor choices. He served his time in prison-I get it, but he's a "celebrity" and is getting "celebrity" treatment. Only guy I know that is making millions of dollars a year (legitimately), who is a convicted felon. Giotta love this country!!!

September 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sheila

If you are not a vegan which I know most of you are not then shout the hell up. You are all being phony. What about you hunters that kill animal for sport. You people make me laugh....such hypocrites.

September 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Yeah – you all – like Sheila said – 'shout the hell up' – just as loud as you want!

September 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DeeW

Funny thing is that most of you are people are throwing stones and live in a glass house. People makes mistakes, nobody in this world is perfect. The only one that was perfect sacrficed HIMSELF for all of our sins. He did something very wrong and has learned from his mistakes. As everyone that has made mistakes in life should do, learn from them and move on. You grow and better yourself as a person. As a man, he took his punishment and is now trying to better his life for him, his family and love ones around him. What is wrong with that? That is what one should do!!! He didn't go back to his old ways of living. He didn't make excuses for his wrong doing actions. He owned up to his negitive ways.

I normally do not post to articles. But I find it so interesting to read some people comments. You all judge people and say what should be done and probably don't address your own issues going on in your own house.

September 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

And yet you feel qualified to pass judgment on the posters here... name for that – hypocrite!

September 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeW

No.. Didn't pass judgement. Stated the facts.. Just said I find it interesting and I am sure most of you aren't dealing with own issues but are so concerned with how positive this man is trying to live his life after his mistakes. I didn't say any of you should die or rot in jail or anything like that.. You are welcome to say what you like, but I find it interesting. Facts.. No judgement. Didn't call anybody out of their names or say anyting negative.

September 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Pretty simple.......By calling other folks judgment, YOU are being judgmental – that's how it works, sorry

September 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeW

I didn't call folks or anyone for that matter "judgement".. I am not judging you.. I am not saying what your doing is good or bad.. Simply stated.. I find it INTERESTING...

September 22, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carlton

As always you see the hate in many people in this country come out, espcially on the internet where they can hide.
    Vick did the crime and he did the time, but some of you still can't forgive him, why? Oh I know....

September 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the more people I meet the more I love my dogs

@Jafst3, no why should we be passionate about another human killing when they think like you and calmdown ? I hate people who say that ish. You spout off stupid cruel, ignorant statements like that then expect us to give a crap about you. Really ???

September 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ACSummers

Vick did his time, sentence, he went bankrupt.
    He is now back on the football field.
    Its strange how people want to make this man still pay. Its over and done with. Get over people.
    The only one who has to live with it is Vick.

September 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

some of the dogs still have to live with it – of course some of them are also dead so they aren't living with anything.... dumb argument

September 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

@sheppard you show more concern for animals than man. I bet you would feed a stray dog before a homeless man....
      Get over it. Move on....The dogs have so should you... GO EAGLES!!!!

September 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

And how do you come to that conclusion? Like most know-it-alls, you know nothing – so you move on, sonny.

September 22, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

I have moved on...grumpy ole person.
      On to the fact that the man did his time and is now the starting QB for the Eagles. GO EAGLES.
      I will be watching the game this Sunday with my pit sitting right next too me. LOL

September 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. vick is a dumb ignorant ghetto boy

@shelia, I don't eat meat, I don't beat animals, I don't like I mean I hate people who do and I don't like hunters. You also do not know any of us so you really can't call us hypocrites.
    People who abuse animals will move on to abusing children and other helpless people.
    Do all you care so much about other humans as you all say you do ? Now don't be a hypocrite we don't want to upset Shelia

September 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAY

I think that the people that want him to serve 10 years in prison are ridiculous. Some people dont get that many years for murdering another human. I dont like this PETA crap, I love PETH(People for the ethical treatment of humans). He served his time, paid his debt to society and now he should be able to move on. I understand that animals deserve to be treated fairly, but to give him a worst punishment than a MURDERED human, is just stupid and downright inhumane.

September 22, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |