September 22nd, 2010

Wednesday's intriguing people

Jim Gorant

With Michael Vick starting for the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend, it appears the controversial quarterback’s NFL career has been rehabilitated. Another tale of rehabilitation appears in a book out this week about the 51 pit bulls recovered from Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels.

“The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick’s Dogs and Their Tale of Recovery and Redemption” is written by Sports Illustrated senior writer Jim Gorant. It chronicles the fate of the 49 remaining dogs. The professional athlete served nearly two years in prison on charges related to the dogfighting ring and mistreatment of the dogs.

Usually animals from illegal dogfighting operations are euthanized, according to Stephen Zawistowski, a psychologist and ASPCA animal behavior specialist who worked on the Vick case. In an interview this week with NPR, he said the $1 million Vick paid in restitution gave the ASPCA a unique opportunity to rehabilitate most of the dogs. In the end, only one was euthanized, while the rest were placed in dog sanctuaries or have been adopted.

Gorant argues that the Vick case may help rehabilitate the reputation of pit bulls as well. "As odd as it may seem, Michael Vick may be the best thing that ever happened to the pit bull,” he told NPR. “He gave the forum to discuss this and make it possible to get the message out there that these dogs are not what they've been made out to be in the headlines, that they really are just sort of dogs."

SI.com: What happened to Vick's dogs?

NPR: The road to recovery for Michael Vick's dogs

Bob Woodward

It’s not your imagination – the renowned Washington Post reporter and associate editor really does publish a book every couple of years containing some sort of bombshell about how a president has handled a crisis. What makes it intriguing is that Woodward does so with the cooperation of each administration he covers, whether the administration really wants him there or not.

Politico’s Mike Allen and John Harris wrote on Tuesday, “Early in President Barack Obama’s term, he and his aides faced a rite of passage familiar to every White House for the past 40 years: What to do about Woodward?”

Clearly the president gave Woodward his time — as did many administration officials. The first glimpse of details from “Obama’s War” made headlines Wednesday in The Washington Post.

When the book hits stores on September 27, readers will find out what an hour-long interview with the young commander in chief revealed about the current U.S. war strategies. The book will also feature standard Woodward elements: Eighteen months of reporting, classified memos, staff portraits, and the always-present inner-circle conflict.

Trying to get around Woodward is futile, Politico suggests. “At times during the reporting, according to administration officials and other sources familiar with the book, Woodward surprised top defense and intelligence officials by coming in for interviews armed with classified maps, in some cases labeled with code names for clandestine operations.”

Woodward has written 16 other books for publisher Simon & Schuster, starting with the legendary “All the President’s Men.”

CNN: Official defends Obama ahead of revelations in Woodward book

1. Cheryl

I rescue dogs. I saved my first pit bull mix ever a couple of months ago. He was dropped of on the county road by my ranch. I was going to take him to the animal shelter. I was scared of him. Well...he is now sleeping on my couch with my two german shepards that were also dropped off on the county road at different times. He is the biggest baby ever. He will be going to the beach soon for a family vacation.

Michael Vick, in my eyes, has conducted himself so much better than Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. He got a second chance and is trying to make is work.

His mistake has brought to light how it is the owners of pit bulls not the pit bull.

September 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

what the hell are you talking about? How did Lohan & Hilton get brought in to a forum about torturing dogs? Are you for real?

September 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheryl

Those girls have got in to trouble so many times and given so many chances but they get off again and again. All I said Vick is trying to do the right thing.

September 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Trying to do the right thing? and what is that and what do you base it on? Like I said, trouble with the law again within 5 years – wanna bet?

September 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Poolchick

Too bad this loser was allowed to play again. All you Vick fans, good for for being able to forgive. I can't seem to find it in myself to forgive him. Can't stand him for what he did. I myself, love animals more than people since it's the human race that is warped. Just my opinion. His sentence was way to light and should never been allowed to play football again. He most likely has no remorse and thinks paying his fine and doing his time is good enough. Not for me!!!

September 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

As you said..
      You love animals more than people.

So nothing Vick ever does (good or bad) will be good enough for your forgiveness.

September 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ben

Who cares? They are just animals. Look at how people treat each other. How many of you Vick haters have walked past a homeless person on the street and ignored them? How many of you help charities that deal with the poor? How many of you Vick Haters protest the treatment of other humans across the world? I dont care about a dog. I only care about humans.

September 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Vick supporters are just as ignorant as he is

Too all who are saying he did his time and let him be. Really because I am pretty sure someone who committed a non violent crime can't even get a job bagging groceries. But he barely did time, gets out and gets all his money back, seriously ???
    So if someone kills and tortures a baby for crying too much does a year or two in the slammer and then goes back to working his old job making millions like nothing ever happened, is that still ok ? Same thing they are both helpless and only looking for love and to please it's owners/parents.
    Also, these athletes are supposed to be role models for our children. What exactly is Vick teaching them ? It's ok to kill other living helpless creatures, you will only get a slap on the wrist and then back to making all your money that you are far too ignorant to know how to deal with it, so buy some animals and abuse and torture them with your ignorant ghetto friends. It's all good.
    @sheppard, for some reason I can't reply to you directly ??? But he did not euthanize these dogs, he brutally killed them because they didn't win in his little ghetto games. Look up the word in the dictionary before you start taking stabs at other peoples OPINIONS. When dogs or other animals are euthanized they go to sleep, usually because they are sick and need to be put out of their misery. (like some people on this comments section need to be) They are not shot, hung, drown, beat to death etc.

September 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vick critics are just as ignorant as he is

Most are hypocrites or just d-bags...

1) Do you eat meat? If you replied 'yes' then you have no room to talk. Those animals can be just as loving and smart as dogs with training, yet you agree to subject them to absolutely horrid conditions so you can enjoy eating them at dinner, barbeques, and at happy hour.

2) Just because you've been deluded into loving one animal doesn't mean you can pass judgment on folks who didn't grow up to the same socialized norms as you.

3) Sure, most people would agree that what Vick did was wrong (although the extent to which it was morally reprehensible varies greatly amongst the populace depending on upbringing and socialization), but in addition to 18 months in jail, losing certain freedoms afterwards, and becoming a social pariah, he did lose close to $100 million. If you asked me whether I would rather go to jail for 5 years (like a "normal" person... although that's a whole 'nother argument) for the crimes Vick committed and keep my $100m or go to jail for 1.5 years like a celebrity and lose everything, I'd choose the former, as I'm sure most people here would.

September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeW

There are plenty of poeple running corporate companies that has done crimes, did a little jail time and came back out making millions. Vick has been blessed with a talent of playing football.

I am not trying to put animal rights down at all. I have a dog and my family loves our dog. But comparing this situation of what Vick did to dogs vs. what some people out here do to kids and other humans I think is to far.

September 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deena

You are the ignorant one my friend. If you can honestly tell me that getting off on watching dogs rip each other to shreds and not blinking an eyelash as you slam a dog's head into the pavement is normal human behavior then there is something wrong with YOU.

September 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

what are you talking about? I never said vick euthanized dogs – just the opposite.......

September 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Patti

Why can't people be passionate for both humans and animals? I am tired of hearing "I bet you don't get this upset when children are being murdered". Because a person has empathy for animals does not mean that they don't for humans as well.

September 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

I agree.....When an animal is hit by a car and lies in the road. Cars just keep going.
      But if it were a human???!!? the cars will STILL keep going....Sad times we live in....

September 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Deb

Michael Vick should have lost this football career. His time is jail was nothing compared to the harm he did to all those pit bulls. I am thankful to see that they have changed the course of most of them. Shock him to death or hang him for not fighting. He is and always will be a shallow greedy man with no thought to others or animals but for self gratification

September 22, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb 2

Deb, please don't push your judgmental suburban white commentary on us

September 22, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eric R

I don't understand why anyone would want a Pit Bull. They are dangerous. There are so many other breeds out there to own. You never hear stories of a Lab killing a small child. I had one in my neighborhood that was a nice dog for years then a switch went off in his head and he became a killing machine. In one day he went around killing all animals he could find until someone finally caught up with him and killed it with a shotgun. These dogs are predisposed to killing, and should not be pets for anyone. There is no reason. No excuse. Find another type of dog.

September 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Are you serious? Because you have known one pit that was aggressive, they all are? Do you realize how popular pits have been over the past 10-15 years. That is why you hear these stories. And yes, labs can do it too. Any dog can be aggressive. As a matter of fact small dogs, according to studies, are the absolute worst. Why don't hear about that in the news, because people are able to hold a small dog down. You are very ignorant to post a comment like this. And I mean ignorant in its true meaning.

September 22, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. it

I REALLy could care less if people choose to breed and raise pit dogs, it used to be part of living in a free country.

September 22, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maurice

Bush and Cheney have killed more and they are still loved by some.. Guess dogs are more important than humans in the U.S. : (

September 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

Heck Cheney killed wild turkey and attempted to kill his "best friend" (didn't even feel handcuffs)
      oh I guess he made a mistake and thought his friend was a turkey too...

September 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. antlover

I just read that Peyton Manning used a magnifying class to fry ants when he was younger.. Eli and Peyton used to bet on who could kill an ant first..

Tom Brady once hit a deer with his SUV and killed it, he didnt try to swerve, and it wasn't the deer's fault he didnt understand the road was there. (I wonder if Brady said "watch this" before he hit it, or bet on if the deer was going to die if he would be charged)

The offensive line for the Steelers pregame meal consists of a bucket of KFC chicken.. (what are the odds of death at a slaughterhouse?)

human nature.. we manipulate everything we can for our own gain/satisfaction. the man paid his dues, he's trying to make the best living he can with the abilities he has.

September 22, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anna

Mass murderers(who killed children and adults) often started off abusing animals.

September 22, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ACSummers

Mass murderers started killing/torturing animals for self gratification in there pre to teenage years...
      Vick was dog fighting as an illegal business to make tax free money.

September 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JAY

I think that the people that want him to serve 10 years in prison are ridiculous. Some people dont get that many years for murdering another human. I dont like this PETA crap, I love PETH(People for the ethical treatment of humans). He served his time, paid his debt to society and now he should be able to move on. I understand that animals deserve to be treated fairly, but to give him a worst punishment than a MURDERED human, is just stupid and downright inhumane!

September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ohwell

Vick did it to represent his status as not only a rich and talented football player, but a tough as nails gangsta to all his fellow homeboys. He didn't do it for financial gain. He did it for stauts and entertainment. Great football player. Bad person.

September 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. H

When a person participates in cruelty, it speaks volumes. That Mr. Vick had the capacity and lack of conscience to abuse dogs the way he did says all one needs to know about him as a human being. All other accolades will mean nothing – the truth is that he is pathetic excuse for a man and I hope the stigma of his cruelty ruins his every endeavor. He deserves nothing. I hope he receives it in abundance.

September 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JAY

OHwell How do you know he did it for "gangsta" means. There are lots of athletes out there that do this for money, he just got caught doing it. They do it to flip money.

September 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |