September 23rd, 2010

Bishop Long: Charges against me are false

In a statement read on a radio show Thursday, Atlanta pastor Eddie Long said he was anxious to respond to allegations contained in lawsuits that he had coerced young church members into sex, but his lawyers would not permit him.

"I have been through storms and my faith has always sustained me," Long said in a statement read by attorney Craig Gillen. "... Let me be clear: the charges against me and New Birth are false. I have devoted my life to helping others, and these false allegations hurt me deeply, but my faith is strong and the truth will emerge."

Long said he denies "each and every one of these ugly charges" and will respond to his congregation on Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Church Abuse • Religion
  1. L. Richardson Senior Pastor Living Waters Ministries

The first concern is the continual progress of the body of Christ and the healthiness of this local church and when ensuring that Pastor Eddie Long is being handled both biblically and spirtually and fairly as a Senior Pastor of a local Ministry. We must deal with people fairly. This must be handled by his peers or those who has mentored him personally.
    In St. John 8 there is a woman caught "in the very act" of sin and Jesus Christ response is important. He that is without sin cast the first stone. This is a matter that spiritually mature within the Body ought to be judging rightly and keeping the opinions of the wordly at by – only those that have experienced the Great Grace are able to deal with these type of situation rightly considering their ownselves first.

L. Richardson
    Senior Pastor
    Living Waters Ministries
    Baltimore, MD

September 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • foosgold

Hey pastor...just think if this hadn't happend to fast eddie, he could of been oneof the " spiritually mature within the Body ought to be judging rightly"..that was eddie job before this came out. Those with open eys.. know a person by their fruits and this guy has fruity written all over him...before, during and probably after this is setttled.

September 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • outkasts

Please!No more pastors from Baltimore....you have your problems to deal with?

September 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Justified

When someone can take what u do on tv and put it on youtube, with some one else talking is wrong. what the devil ment for bad, God will turn for good. Amen This is about shaking the the man of God down. Man of God stand the truth will set u free. Justified

September 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ben

Bishop our prayers are with you and the family in these tough times. We pray that you will be proven innocent and the church will be vindicated. But if you truly did it, i pray that you will not continue with this long and tiresome legal process. Confess that to the elders of the church so that they will find solution to settle this situation. The longer the legal process, the more your reputation and the name church will be rediculed. I would also recommend that you step aside with the day-to-day running of the church, and give your time to prayer for strength. let your assistant do the preaching and running of the church until everything is over. Understand you and the church are under attack from the devil, and as such you will need to focus on the LORD. Our support and prayers are with you to the end. I dont know you personally, but I am christian and church leader, i know exactly what you going through.

September 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • leo

Is Bishop Eddie Long accountable to the elders of the church or to nobody ? How can he confess if he is above everyone in the church ?

September 26, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. Leon

will yall quit throwing the bible at us. let long explain his way out of it. He was there, yall weren't! 😀

September 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Leon

oh, by the way, please no more sermons, this is not church or the forum for it and most of us don't want to be preached to! 😀

September 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leon

these long-winded essays don't allow others to participate. so please stop the organized cover-up! 😀

September 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leon

some people can't handle the truth. They have selective hearing. They hear what they want to hear and not what they ought to hear! 😀

September 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Justified

WE ALL HAVE SIN AND FAIL SHORT OF HIS GLORY. AMEN REPENT AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL. AMEN FORGIVE AND THE FATHER WILL FORGIVE YOU. AMEN GOD WILL WORK IT OUT. Justified

September 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Keianna

For some reason, deep in my heart, I believe the young men coming forward. This is a very sad situation for all parties, even for the loved ones.

When it comes to Preaching the word of God, Bishops, Pastors or Ministers should just preach the word. All these Armer Barrors & security etc is not necessary. No one should be traveling alone, giving out lavish gifts, texting or sending pic to one another. This situation looks very very bad...

I will not judge Bishop Long or the young men coming forward. I pray the truth comes out & that God mend the hearts of all those who attend New Birth, & all the many people who do not attend New Birth with broken hearts from this situation. This just doesn't affect New Birth only, but the whole body of Christ.

September 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tg fl

If someone accus me of something so bad I would say something along time ago.

September 23, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ally G

We should all just pray for Pastor Long.

September 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Justified

Last entry. God is love, we are called to love one another. rest in that love. Amen 1 Cor.13:4-8 Amen We walk in love and never fail. Love covers a mult. of sins. Amen Grace and peace. Justified

September 23, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sherry

Please let us pray for Bishop and his family. Pray is what is needed most now; he has a difficult road ahead.

September 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Leon

yes he does. can't wait to hear the sermon he delivers to his flock. no questions asked from public, just him preachin tm the choir as usual. I'm sure he's rehearsing as we blog! 😀

September 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LaLa

Well all I have to say is that I'm not suprised with any of these allegations. I had a family member lose almost everything beind this man(bishop). The only thing they(New Birth) could do to help this member was give them $300.I believe everything will come out eventually. Ya'll better wake up...This man has been shaddy from the time I went to the old New Birth in the 90's.

September 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • leo

I respect your boldness. Cover-up has no place in the church. This displeases God.

September 26, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |