September 23rd, 2010

Bishop Long: Charges against me are false

In a statement read on a radio show Thursday, Atlanta pastor Eddie Long said he was anxious to respond to allegations contained in lawsuits that he had coerced young church members into sex, but his lawyers would not permit him.

"I have been through storms and my faith has always sustained me," Long said in a statement read by attorney Craig Gillen. "... Let me be clear: the charges against me and New Birth are false. I have devoted my life to helping others, and these false allegations hurt me deeply, but my faith is strong and the truth will emerge."

Long said he denies "each and every one of these ugly charges" and will respond to his congregation on Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Church Abuse • Religion
  1. Will

Everyone on this planet should be more concerned about their own souls being right when we stand before God on Judgment Day. Hebrews 9:27 – And as it appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Shakespear says, "To thine own self be true".

September 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mercy

2 Thessalonians 1:2-12, For Bishop Long and family, church members, friends. O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever. It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord;and when they lifted up their voise with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the Lord, saying, For he is Good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God. Amen Ps 126

September 23, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. anewlige

This...not a surprise 2 me. ive approachd by a few pastors, one mentioned by a blogger. i blieve the young men. i hope im wrg. PROVE ME WRG. I BIEVE THEM 100%,

September 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. keith

Prove me wrg. i 100% blieve the young men. i was approachd by a few pastor n my lifetime, it just feel bad. a blogger mentioned 1 one of them. i blieve the young men. pastor should b ashamed. i hope im wrg. i sry if i am.

September 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • leo

The young men are the victims. The bishop should not abuse the trust from the young men.

September 26, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Servent / child of God /son / brother / husband / dad / truck driver-owner operator

I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doudting. Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethern. Against an elder receive not an accusation, before two or three witnesses. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. Ye have heard that it hath been said, thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. A his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. And Jesus said unto them, Why are you fearful, O you of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and sea; and there was a great come. Amen

September 24, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
    • leo

There are four witnesses against the Bishop.

September 26, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Judy

Sounds like a setup to me. Those photos that were (unethically) released by the lawyer look completely fake.

September 24, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

Judy, where did you see the pictures?

September 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. silkie

I hope that WHOEVER is lying. is dealt with to the FULLEST extent of the law. It is time that people are held accountable for their actions.

September 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. EPIPHANY51

A SLIPPERY SLOPE...INDEED

September 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Praise

Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders? I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. Ye that fear the Lord, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him all ye the seed of Israel. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness. Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; i will not fear what flesh can do unto me. my heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious. Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and everything that moveth therein. But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

September 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gene New Orleans

Like most of the saints around the nation,I'm deeply sadden by these allegations.We as christians must dig into bible for ourselves,because man can and will fail you

September 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • leo

I concur with you.

September 26, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. i'm sad

This s an awful thing to even think of.Christians must be strong and pray for all parties involved. God is the judge and he knows all.So many are affected;families,the victims..whether it's the young men or Eddie Long..all involved and uninvolved.We must continue to worship GOD..fast and pray..and search for answers in his WORD. He is our FATHER.

September 25, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Chi-town Chick in Houston

I am a law student as well. I'm prepared to wait for the Bishop and the accusers to meet in court, weigh the evidence myself and then decide what I believe. One thing is for sure, both sides cannot be telling the truth.

September 25, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • leo

I believe this should be resolved within the church rather than in the court by the unbelievers.

September 26, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • seriouslypeople

WOW, courts + church= out of order, it should have went before the congreation b4 anything, that is bible pick up your bible folks...man o man.....

October 2, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. i'm sad

Curious?why are black women always overlooked or disrespected? Why??
    Mrs. Long and her children need our prayers.

September 25, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. tank

Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger in the dirt. They kept at him, badgering him. He straightened up and said, "The sinless one among you, go first: Throw the stone." Bending down again, he wrote some more in the dirt.
    What is Jesus writing on your dirt? They can't kill him like they killed Martin Luther King or Malcolm X but character assassination will do the trick as well.

September 25, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • leo

accountability, accountability, accountability.

September 26, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. ophelia

Two factors remain: creditable evidence and the character(s) of both parties. Though interesting to read, god will be the only judge in this case. My prayers go out to the bishops family as well as the youngmen and their families.

September 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |