September 24th, 2010

Fourth lawsuit filed against Pastor Eddie Long

A fourth lawsuit has been filed against Atlanta-area Pastor Eddie Long,
alleging he coerced a 15 year-old into sex during a trip to Africa.

The man named in the new suit says he first met the pastor at his church in Charlotte, North Carolina. The improprieties continued after he moved to Atlanta at the behest of Long to attend a local university, he said.

A spokesman for Long denied the allegations. He has denied similar allegations of impropriety from 3 other men.

"Our position about the lawsuits has not changed. Bishop Long categorically deny the charges. We believe that it is unfortunate the young men have chosen to take this course of action. The defense team will review the complaints and respond accordingly at the appropriate time and in the appropriate forum," Art Franklin said.

Read the full story on CNN.com.

Post by:
Filed under: Church Abuse
  1. LA Lawrence

Here it comes

September 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Metropl

I hope this man rots in jail on his way to hell.

September 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmm-hmmmm

Is it me or does anybody finds humor on his name? "Pastor Long.".., Lmfao ! Really ?!

September 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • twiddly

Pink tie! Should have been obvious 🙂

September 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivette

Come on, 4 men filling same complaint, I believe it is true, I hope more of these guys talk, so this does not happen to more kids

September 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ann

This is happening way to often. People using the pulpit to snare victims and use their position to abuse those that are vulnerable. Religion has become the stage that allows predators free reign to take advantage of "God's Word". Poverty and humility were the teachings of Christ. This does not seem to be a consideration of Bishop Long and his teachings. I agree with"Pumpkinhead", how can you live a life of luxury and know humility?

September 24, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elena A

with all this in the news, I am surprised no one is placing "pastor/pries cams" right next the the "nanny cams"..

September 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • UsedToBelieve

There was a time in my life when I would subscribe to this "tele-evangelist" and take what they said to heart. After growing through the years, I've learned that my personal relationship with MY higher power supersedes any person claiming to be "of God" and then learn that they are hypocrites. I am not saying that all fall into this catergory, but the ones that I have encountered in my life have been disappointing to say the least. It has not deterred my faith or belief, but I no longer label myself as being Christian, Baptist, Pentecostal, etc...I am simply a believer and that has propelled me further in life because I feel free from disappointment as a result of the hypocrisy from religion. The truth will be revealed and I would not be surprised if all this is true.....many of these evangelists are using religion for gain (no matter what form that may take) and I pity them. Truly God (or whoever your higher power is) will be the ultimate judge and we all know how Karma works! I wish no ill will on any involved, but, you reap what you sow!

September 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • MichaelS3352

Mmmm-hmmmm wrote:

Myself, I'm thinking "Pastor Schlong."

September 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

Those of you saying he hasn't been tried and found guilty yet...yeah, you're right. But REALLY – 999 times out of a 1000, it turns out the allegations are true and then some. Can you remember the last time a minister was accused of something like this by 4 people...then it turned out to NOT be true? I sure can't!

September 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Real

It is unfortunate that public opion is GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. This black, married pastor seeks to do good for some of the streets most forsaken and thuggish citizens but in turn is rewarded with an attempt to GET RICH QUICK. Those of you who are not of this culture wouldn't understand "street" mentality. This is nothing new, however. Jesus went about doing good and what did the Jews do? They said he performed all of his miracles HELPING people through the power of SATAN. Judas betrayed Jesus for THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER. It's happening all over again. These thugs are betraying their pastor to get MILLIONS. THE SPIRIT OF JUDAS IS ALIVE AND WELL. WELCOME TO AMERICA!

September 24, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amriki Londa

Eddie Long has a big ding dong
      He likes young men to be his hen
      He has preyed on four and is a bit sore
      He has sinned and should be binned!

September 24, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn

I couldn't stand this guy years ago when he stepped out into the Pulpit wearing a turquoise blue "muscle" shirt. He knew then that something was a little "off kilter" about this so called man of God.

September 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ralph

the bible says "be not deceived,whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap" He deceived himself to believing that whatever was going on would not come to light.......well it has and I just wish that those who are in a position of authority that has been given to you by God would stand up and denounce this type of behavior when it arises.Gods people dont need to be labled because of one person's choices.In closing the bible also says "be sure that your sins will be found out"I agree with Rowland Martin, what is being said about him is serious and his behavior is now not beyond reaproach.....

September 25, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Karen

There will be lots more coming out of the woodwork. This man is probably sitting in a closet praying every day "Please God don't let anymore of them come forward." He might as well just admit to his wrongdoing and take his punishment for it. Don't lie to us the same way Bill Clinton did about Monica, that just makes you look like a bigger a$$ in the end.

September 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

You are soooooo right. I couldn't have said it any better.

September 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Do you really think this "man" believes in God?

September 24, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colin

Karen, comparing this guy to Bill Clinton is a little ridiculous, don't you think?

September 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmm-hmmmm

Aparently so... Those guys were "divine" Holla!!!

September 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pteka

having a consensual affair outside of your marriage and raping a 15 year old aren't really comparable

September 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dadsnorz

If I were Bill, I'd Still be lying...

September 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I'm not comparing the offense, I'm comparing the lie!

September 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

How did Bill get in this? Some will make anything political. And least it was with a woman and not young boys

September 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Ok you are comparing the lie...just was curious why Bill, is he the only person you know who lied??? Just asking

September 24, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bull

Karen.Your just saying that because of me. I really didn't know she was your sister !

September 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MEDICI

Karen, or an even bigger liar than ALL the Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee who voted to impeach Clinton. It was revealed (and proven) that every one of them had cheated on their wives.

September 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • dnnis

i agree miss karen if not a congresmam a senator, a governor a mayor, a priest, and now a pastor, {anyone remenber jimmy swagert} they all are hipcrites, they preach, with hate,against organisations,individuals, becouse thier way of life, but they get busted, with real evidence, of what they preach against, they are abusers, they thing they are above the law of god, and they do it in the name of god, hipocrites, mr. long i see guilt, like u stated i am not perfect, that say it all.

September 26, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. effie

OMG!!!! You got to be kidding me! My heart goes out to everyone involved!!

September 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I am so disappointed in hearing this. Now more people will have a convenient excuse to "not believe" in God, and on the surface, I can see why.

September 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bephuddled

@Linda: as an agnostic (Q: Is there a god? A: I don't know.) I can reassure you that the hypocrisy of religious leaders has no influence on whether I believe in a higher power or not. It disappoints and saddens me that human beings can be so bad to each other. But agnostics and atheists rely on reason–not emotion–to guide their beliefs. So don't worry: this isn't bad press for your god or anyone other god!

September 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivette

No, Linda, you don't have to stop believing in God because of some sick Pastors or Priests doing the wrong thing.
      Justice should be for everybody, and more for them, people doing the pervert-evil-wrong-doing in the name of God, that is for Catholics, Muslims and all religions. Some other people chose to do GOOD things in the name of GOD, do not forget about them.

September 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • SDCyclist

@Bephuddled: Love the way you explain Agnostic! I am going to steal that!

September 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bephuddled

@SDCyclist: Thanks! My wife and I joined the local Unitarian fellowship a few years ago, and we've become challenged to figure out what we believe, rather than have the answers handed to us on a platter. Funny that Unitarians have no "god-given moral compass" to guide them and yet they are the most compassionate, community-serving, religiously-tolerant people I have ever met. They even welcome Muslims! Go figure. =)

September 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ATL Peach

@ Karen – You don't know what really happened so why are you already assuming guilt on the part of the Bishop? You do know that these young men could be, oh I don't know, LYING? SMH....

September 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nope

Have you seen the pictures he was sending to teenage boys? the ones with him in tight clothes posing in the mirror in his bathroom? Straight men typically do not do that.

September 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I don't know too many young men in their 20's (with their names being fully publicized by the media) who would be willing to come forward with allegations like this without them being true, especially not four of them. They know what is on the line. You mark my words, there will be at least three more come forward in the next week.

September 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Are you kidding me Karen??? People in this world today will do ANYTHING to gain their 10 seconds of fame, even if that means accusing a pastor of something like this. Take the lady who threw acid IN HER OWN FACE just to get attention...while this is a very unfortunate situation, we have to remain true to our country which believes innocent until proven guilty.

September 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • lie detector

4 men come forward, 3 seperate suits ? There will be more. Watch and see. I won't say he is guilty. But that is what I would bet. He preaches vehemently against gays? Vengeance is mine says the Lord. He gonna get bit in the ass with this !!!! 25,000 followers – " I like your Christ, I dont like your Christains. They are so unlike your Christ" Ghandi

September 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivette

Mike, isolated cases, but 4 of them that knew this Pastor trying to get attention in this way?
      Kind of big coincidence. Plus the pic sent to the kids, with the tight cloth...I really hope more of them speak out so justice can be done and avoid more kids being abused.

September 24, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhonda

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with the first two, but now it is pretty obvious that something is very wrong here, and I would be willing to bet that there will be many more.

September 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned Citizen

I don't think they are lying for the simple fact that they can be counter sued for Defamation & Slander, who would take that kind of risk. It's either true or one hell of a conspriracy.

September 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mikec

Nothing stays hidden forever.

September 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bella

Exactly, and looks like ol' passa long's wrongdoing done flew out the closet. Lol

September 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmm-hmmmm

Thank Allah we still got Ms. Oprah. She' nail his ass by the Nivember Sweeps! For real!

September 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill W

Do you really believe that?

September 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. living in the 413

Dear God!! Does this man have a wife and where is she in all this.? He should Immediately step down from the pulpit until this is resolved. As a christian this can be disheartening , but I've always known to put my trust in the true and living God, and not the pastor.

September 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dunique1

You say "but I've always known to put my trust in the true and living God, and not the pastor." Yet you have called for the man of God to step down. If he is gulity then the truth will surely rise like the morning son. If you trust in God, kindly allow him to do his work...unless you dont believe God is capable of handeling the issue

September 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Real

Sorry. You don't step down just because somebody accused you. That's ridiculous. If that's the case, if everytime someone accuses you of anything, you should just quit your job or quit your marriage, or heck, why don't you just stop living!

Let's be real here.

September 24, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Logic

Where there is smoke there is fire and this dude's house looks to be flaming...

September 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikec

I say let it burn.

September 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • lat726

PREACH!!!!! LOL!!!

September 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

Flaming! LMAO.

September 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc

Flaming...you are right...but I am not talkin bout his house!!!

September 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • SDCyclist

@Logic. Very clever! Ha ha!

September 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Metropl

Shame on this sick man. I hope he rots in jail on his way to hell.

September 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Squires

You mean he's been tried and convicted ALREADY? People need to back off with condemning the man until the facts have been presented and ruled on by the courts. This is America people, just because the media says it is so, doesn't mean you convict the man without a trial. this is the problem with the media, they can say ANYTHING they want, as long as they qualify it with the word "allegedly". Shameful.

September 24, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lauradet

A fourth lawsuit? Well, Pastor Long get prepared to give your teary apologetic speech to your followers, just like Jim Baker and Tammy Faye did over the Jessica Hahn affair and squandering funds.

September 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

And Jimmy swaggert, and Ted Haggard, and soooo many others ... when will the 'sheep' learn?

September 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doc

Who can forget Jimmy Swaggart? "I have sinnnnnnnnned" (bah ha ha)

September 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ben

Has anyone noticed that this has been a story longer than O'Donnell's misuse of Campaign funds or the story about Woodward's book showing Obama's poor handling of Afghanistan. Well done CNN.

September 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • lauradet

Yes. I noticed. it's the norm for CNN.com to stretch stories about blacks much longer than others.

September 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TellMenolies

As long as each new day brings a new allegation, this will be in the news...

September 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Suggestion...stop coming to CNN.com

September 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • atlsince85

Lauradet. Get real. Stop with the race card. It is soooo old and tired.

September 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ruth sactown

JESUS OUR GOD . HIM ONLY NOT MAN.

September 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Snapfinger Rd.

Where there's smoke there's "FIRE" O__o

September 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Deven

How is this even news? What do we gain from telling the world that a pastor in NC molested kids?

September 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikec

How is it not news? If lohan can pop up every 30 mins this should without a doubt.

September 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

How is it news? The head of a huge organization has been accused of wrong doing – news. He has preached heatedly against something he now may have engaged in – HUGE NEWS. It may be part of a larger conspiracy to hide bad activities by politicians, elected officials and celebrities – NEWS. Now, I'm not going to jump on the find him guilty until proven innocent bandwagon. But, if he did this, I hope he loses his pulpit, his money and his influence and these men find the peace they need. If he didn't I hope he gets as much coverage when found innocent. But it is kind of ironic that time and time again, people who say they are following Jesus preach hate against a group, that they are a member of secretly.

September 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • SDFrankie

Agreed. Same with woman they executed last night. What do we gain by knowing that? And that stupid Iranian blabbering at the UN. Did that improve your life? Or that bimbo in Delaware? There's a couple of news cycles down the rathole right there. They should only cover the stuff that improves my life. They're wrong if they're not asking "How does this help Frankie"?

September 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmm-hmmmm

TESTFY !!!! Amazing Grace, Honeychild !!!

September 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawleyjd

Ummm, he's getting the same amount of coverage that his anti-gay rhetoric has gotten.

September 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Atl Camille

Yep, here it comes. I think maybe it's time to start a full on investigation. Who knows how many other young men are afraid to come forward?

September 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • hawleyjd

Very true. I'm so ashamed to see the church "circle the wagons" automatically to protect 'Bishop'.

September 24, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Timothy

Innocent till proven otherwise and I hate megachurches and pastors FYI but let's hear the facts

September 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Thank you Timothy. We don't know the whole story. If in fact Bishop Long is guiltly then shame on him and other adults who work with Long. He couldn't have done this without others knowing. If he is innocent then shame on these young men for making false claims. Either way Bishop Long's image is tarnished by this.

September 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |