September 28th, 2010

Upset stomach hospitalizes President Jimmy Carter

President Jimmy Carter, seen here last month, was hospitalized Tuesday.

[Updated at 2:03 p.m.] Josesph-Beth Booksellers has told about 400 attendees that President Jimmy Carter will not be attending the scheduled Tuesday book signing.

The event has not yet been rescheduled, but a Carter Center statement said earlier that the president would resume his book tour next week.

Read CNN's full coverage

[Updated at 1:48 p.m.] An employee at Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Lyndhurst, Ohio, says about 400 people are still waiting at the bookstore to see President Jimmy Carter.

Some have been there since 9 a.m. ET, the employee said.

Carter was initially scheduled to be at the bookstore at 1 p.m., but his staff moved it up to noon prior to the president's hospitalization.

The employee, who declined to identify himself, said there were still Secret Service agents at the store, and there has been no official announcement that Carter is not showing.

[Updated at 1:21  p.m.] Jimmy Carter is "resting comfortably" after being rushed from the airport to a hospital upon his arrival in Cleveland on Thursday morning, according to the ex-president's nonprofit organization.

"While on a flight to Cleveland, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter developed an upset stomach, and, upon arrival, was taken to Metro Health Hospital for observation," said a statement from Carter Center spokeswoman Deanna Congileo. "He is resting comfortably and is expected to resume his book tour this week."

[Updated at 1:10 p.m.] President Jimmy Carter has been transferred to Metro Health Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio, after experiencing an unknown health issue on a flight to the city, an airport spokesperson said.

Jackie Mayo, the public information officer for Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, said the 39th president was transferred to the hospital at approximately 11:30 a.m. ET after paramedics met Carter's plane upon its arrival.

Carter, who will turn 86 on Friday, was reportedly in Ohio to autograph copies of his new book, "White House Diary," at Joseph-Beth Booksellers in the suburb of Lyndhurst, according to the bookstore.

Since leaving the Oval Office in 1981, Carter has devoted his time to the Carter Center in Atlanta, which monitors elections, fights disease in developing nations and seeks to strike peace deals internationally.

In addition to some controversial comments made in his book, which was released this month, Carter made headlines recently when he negotiated the release of U.S. citizen Aijalon Mahli Gomes, who had been jailed in North Korea.

For continuing coverage of President Jimmy Carter's hospitalization, read more at CNN's Political Ticker.

WEWS: President Carter hospitalized after landing in Cleveland for book signing

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Health • Ohio
  1. deuce

Get well, Jimmy!

September 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joe capz

he had an upset stomach probably ate some bad peanuts.

September 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Todd In Reality

Why is it liberals bash Bush, but when you swipe one of their own in humor, it is racist or hatred? Did Bush run in the last campaign? I don't think so! I guess they can only defend their lack of judgement for "Hope and Change", being testy with a counter view. Let me frank, Obama promised "Dope and Change". Liberals have always had a problem with hearing. The change you get from buying his dope (Medical Marijuana) will be taxed to grow his great society with Hugo Chavez.

September 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • CATAHATA

I agree!

September 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynne

i know marijauna as treatment sounds bad to a lot of people, but my best friend died of cancer last year on my birthday and she was in so much pain, i just wish she could have gotten some kind of major pain relief. when u are dying who cares if u toke a little? i hope u never have to know. i apologize to the people who are offended cause i didn't talk about carter in this note.

September 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel

Mr. Carter predicted our energy future...and we lived up to the downside. He told us we weren't perfect and many wanted to and many still desire to punish him for it. He tried to nurture a national sense of conscience. He has tirelessly worked for justice and for the poor. Get well Mr. Jimmy!

September 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Roberto Applesauce

One of the greatest men of our time. Get well soon Mr. President!

September 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. I love Phil

go Phil!

September 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TLS

SO, IF PRESIDENT CARTER DOESN'T MAKE IT, WILL IRAN FREE THE OTHER TWO HOSTAGES?

September 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CATAHATA

Just as soon as he leaves...

September 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Unknown

In my view Jimmy Carter may not have been one of our best Presidents, but his post-presidency was exceptionally great. He did a great service to the country through Habitat of Humanity. He also served as a special envoy to Haiti. I wish him a swift and painless recovery

September 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

He certainly did have an exceptional post-presidency....bashing Jews is exceptionally hard work.

September 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karen

I will never again read CNN. Not because of the reporting, but because of the disrespectful, disgusting audience.

September 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • CATAHATA

GREAT IDEA! GO SOMEWHERE TO GET YOUR NEWS THAT ACTUALLY REPORTS THE NEWS!

September 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynne

who are u to judge what some people on blogs say? i guess u work for the supreme court, eh?

September 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

Ever read what you write?

September 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Darlene islas

I hope for mr. Carter that if it's his time, then i hope it's peaceful. To the rest of u, give me a break, if u think u can do the job then run for office, the president doesn't have that much overall power, our for father set-up this country as a check and balance system! Go back to school and reread your history books!

September 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brian

I feel that way when I get to Cleveland too!

September 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JenniLayne

I Hope he has a speedy recovery! I have great respect and admiration for this particular human being....For some reason, for many reasons, I have always been quite fond of him! He has a true concern about many people ...No, I do not agree with every word he has ever uttered but overall I think he has done alot for many and has a very caring and gentle way about him. Best Wishes to him and his family! GodSpeed – Sincerely – Jennifer Layne

September 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. karl henry

Get well soon Mr. President.

September 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bob

Every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it. That can't be good, and no wonder he has an upset stomach.

Seriously I hope he is OK (but I wish he would learn to control his mouth).

September 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Funny I mentioned to my wife when he was on Larry King the other night that I thought he was beginning to lose his mental edge. I chocked his misstatements up to partisan, electioneering but maybe he REALLY was beginnning to fail. No illl will... see you on the farm shortly. 🙂

September 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |