September 29th, 2010

Fort Hood: Four soldiers apparently killed themselves

Four soldiers from the Fort Hood Army base in Texas - all decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan - died in the past week, a Fort Hood spokesman said Wednesday.

In all four cases, it appears the soldiers took their own lives, spokesman Christopher Haug said.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Fort Hood • Military • Texas
  1. Rick

It's high time to toughen up Army boot camp. Do away with the "time out" stress slips and start stressing the recruits by yelling at them instead of having the drill sergeant be their buddy. I'm pretty sure the enemy won't allow them "stress time outs" or be their buddy. Oh yeah, that's right, if captured the enemy will flaunt you on the internet and then cut your head off. How's that for stressful. Boot camp should reflect what they'll face in the field.

September 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pogo

This is appalling. Surely the military has support services for these warriors. As a kid virtually every adult male in my small town was a WWII vet and serious heavy drinking went on during the weekends at the VFW, Polish Club, Croatian Club, and firehall where polkas and other music would blast into the streets. These guys were recognized in the community and had support from buddies, wives, and us hero worshipping kids. Somehow I doubt warriors returning today have that recognition and support and maybe this has something to do with the depression and stress that might cause suicide.

September 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. peg

i'm not buying they all commited suicide.

September 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Americas Troops are Going INsane While ist coward generals ,leaders and media cover it up.
    go look at americna news right now, anything about his excpt c.n.n? nope.
    more politics.
    americans dont give a damn how many of these Troops Die.

September 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mehdi General Dr Bad

none of these idiot americans listend to bama speach where he slauted bush.
    busha nd rove are stil runing these wars.
    oh but thats right, americans dont listen.
    all they do is run thier pig mouths as thye set and get drunk and watch football and sopa operas.

September 29, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mehdi General Dr Bad

america is blatanatly controled and run by the jews and massod.
    from the c.i.a to the judges.
    americans are so stupid they do not even know what AIPAC even is.
    nor do they want ot see about or hear about these dead Soldiors.
    no, they wil just set and run thier pig mouths and do nothing as always.
    ignore it.
    cover it up.
    change the subject.
    make excuses.

September 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mehdi General Dr Bad

obam is a cowardly piel of trash. all he is doing is lying and stalling.
    give his some music as he dances and sings for his jew masters.
    and lets hear some more of your smart remarks and insults,
    as YOU Die.

September 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

Let's talk about kids that are so overweight their bodies are at least 50% fat... The body is so heavy there underdeveloped skeletons struggle to carry all the fat ... This is the biggest problem on the planet... I don't think it can be stopped ...

September 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. peg

@ mehdi.. i believe i speak for most americans when i say "if you want to kill us" either "bring it on or shut up"!

September 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

hey peg, I use to be YOUR Top Commanding General.
      factully " Bring It ON " IS MY Line".

September 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Shawn

All of this is a tragedy. The US government has technology that we have pressed to the point of successful field testing, and it stops. Technology that can destroy the weapon without harming the operator(s). Technology, that if allowed to be fielded around the world, would quickly de-escalate warfare and, bringing our loved ones home and bringing belligerent countries quickly to the table of diplomacy. A technology that, with the speed of light, could render a battlefield teeming with missiles and tanks and artillery to a field of junk machines and weapons leaving the aggressors the choice to fight with sticks and rocks or look to efforts in peace. The technology exists. It works. I'd bet my life, and the lives of my three boys now serving their country, on the ability of this technology. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThD0FMvTFU I know what it is capable of because I was involved in the design of critical portions of it. I want to see my boys safe and see a world where peace has a chance and the world doesn't have to be afraid of any despot. World peace will never be realized by large demonstrations and big signs. It will be realized when technology is found and developed that obsoletes and dissuades warfare and the beginnings of that technology are at hand, if we choose wisely.

September 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

Please, people...this comes from an Army Infantry Vet(B Co. 2/16 INF, Ist ID). Our creed is "Leave no man behind." WE don't, but our country is doing just that. I'm not ashamed to say that my eyes are filled with tears as I write this. There are so many of our brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers who have served that are back here Stateside but will NEVER leave the horror that is the theater of war. WAY more attention needs to be paid, and services provided to those that are trying to assimilate back into society. It is nearly impossible though, even for the most well adjusted and mentally strong individuals. We have an epidemic on our hands that has barely begun to be recognized, nevermind even being understood. Our troops and the things we've had to do are incomprehensible to the average citizen who has no connection to one who serves. War truly is hell, hell right here on this earth, and people need to start truly believing and understanding that.

September 29, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leonard R. Webber U.S. Navy Seabee, Ret.

Chris: Good Soldier ! I grind my teeth at some of the comments about these brave soldiers who couldn't handle 4 & 5 deployments, back-to-back.
      When I served, we couldn't be sent for more than two 9-month deployments without a 1-year break. I did 2-tours in Vietnam, and we had 3 suicides in my battalion. I'm an old man now, but the military is still in my blood. Moronic comments by non-vets get me down, but when I see comments like yours, I get pumped-up!
      Times are different now; we had 500,000 boots on the ground then, but per capita, these young folks are nothing but moving targets.
      Hats off to you, Soldier ! Go Army !!

Lenny

September 29, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

MY Creed is I am The First Man IN And The Last Man out. And i leave No One Behind. Man Or Woman.
      I od not ask them to do anything I would not Do MY Self.
      now where is MY M.I.A. Army Nurse?

September 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DvHawk

This sounds suspious... Is it possible that these soldiers saw or knew too much? how many of these so called suicides are actually homicides?

September 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

They Are ALL Homicides.

September 30, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Larry coffey

To the people, when you are fighting a war in the flesh it will effect your mind. To the people, renew your mind daily
    To overcome the past events in your life. To the people, who live in the past in your mind, that will be your future, renew and forget the past. Thank you and god bless

September 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kevin

Lets see. I risk my life for a Prez who does not believe in winning or the mission and on my return home I find out I might have to bunk with a gay guy. And idiots wonder why suicide might seem an option.

September 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mehdi General Dr Bad

and of curse this story is allready off headlines and buried.
    as you show again words are waste of time.

September 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |