October 2nd, 2010

Man arrested in connection with quadruple slayings

Kimani Washington faces weapons charges in connection with the shooting deaths.

A Massachusetts man has been arrested in connection with the shooting deaths of four people, including a toddler, in Boston Tuesday, police said Saturday.

Kimani Washington, 35, was arrested without incident Friday night in an apartment complex in Manchester, New Hampshire, police there said. He is being held in New Hampshire pending his arraignment at Manchester District Court on a fugitive from justice charge.

"Today should serve as a warning to all those who seek to harm others,"
said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino. "Our offices will not rest until you are hunted down, captured and locked up."

In Massachusetts, Washington faces charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition and receiving a stolen motor vehicle in connection with the shooting, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

The brutal shootings occurred on Sept. 28 around 1:15 a.m. in the Mattapan neighborhood of Boston.

The shootings did not appear to be random, District Attorney Dan Conley said earlier this week. The individuals were found lying in the street - one of them naked. He has not been charged with murder.

Police identified the victims as Eyanna Louise Flonory, 21, her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith, Simba Martin, 21, and Lavaughan Washum-Garrison, 22, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.

A fifth person was brought to the hospital in critical condition.

The police commissioner declined to comment on whether Washington may have been the shooter in this case. He also refused to say whether police have any other suspects.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Massachusetts
  1. Tonya R.

this is a terrible tragedy! the loss of life is heartache for anyone but no one should have to bury a child! for they are the innocent, who could they possibly hurt!
    GOD BLESS THIS FAMILY DURING THEIR TIME OF NEED! GOD BE WITH YOU!

October 2, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

Jeff, don't be a moron.

October 2, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • todd

because even if god does exist, he is not a genie who grants wishes, despite what people claim.

October 2, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Right on, Jeff!

October 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

NyteShayde,

Before you result to name calling, realize that I'm not attempting to silence anyone as you are (I hate to bring up the story of the pot and the kettle with reference to your name...). I'm not shoving my beliefs down anyone's throat. I asked a question. It's how I learn things, by trying to obtain answers. It's the same question I've asked the "religious guy" at my work: "Why does the god you worship allow innocent people to suffer?" (Keep in mind, he has already told me that the story of Adam and Eve is not a true story but rather something to learn from, so original sin is not an option). He said he would ask his minister and get back to me. I first asked him this question about six months ago. I have never received an answer and when he invites me to his church's functions, knowing full well that I am an athiest, I ask him the question again, and he says he'll get back to me.

If you're a Christian and do believe in god, but don't care about me, what does that say about you? If you really cared about the salvation of my immortal soul, why push me away. Aren't you supposed to "Love thy neighbor"?

BTW, if YOU can provide an answer for my question, I would be most appreciative.

October 2, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Because if God controlled people's actions then that would mean no one has real free will and couldn't CHOOSE to LOVE God. People have to decide to love or else it wouldn't be true love. The next question then is why God created man in the first place. If he knew so many of them would do evil, which is the cause of most of the suffering in the world, then why take that risk? The bible says it's so that we could have fellowship with God and experience his love. Yup, as melodramatic as that may sound to those who don't actually know God, that's his plan and is the greatest thing we can seek in this life.

As shocking as it is in this day and age where science and technology seem to have an answer for everything, we will never be able to fully understand God while we live here. Nope! That's right, not every single question people ask about God is completely answerable by us Christians. But the Bible gives us all the answers we need in this life. I guess trusting God is the one thing we actually have to live by faith for in this life.

October 3, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

@Jeff – very good response. I love how Christians believe that God is omnipotent, omnipresent while completely rejecting the Paradigm of being the father of all mandkind. That really is the great question, if God is truly our Father then why does he allow us to accomplish such terrible things? Any parent (human or otherwise) has a vested interest in his offspring and would exasperate attempts to protect them. God simply goes against all laws of nature, the very laws that he supposedly created.

October 3, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • BK

Hahah no you have it backwards. Humans go against all of God's laws. THAT's why there's so much suffering in this world. "God goes against all the laws of nature"...you're talking crazy. He created those laws.

October 3, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • J

God was doin the stanky leg.

October 3, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Crucify him!!! Crucify him!!! Crucify him!!! Just Joking... But I'm all for the lions den!!!

1. Leathal Injection. 3. Hanged. 5. Gas Chamber. 7. Guillotine. 9. Starvation. 11. Lions Den.
      2. Electric Chair. 4. Firing Squad. 6. Drowned. 8. Stoned. 10. Burning. 12. Crucifixion.

If you think the the list looks accurate from 1-12, in order of minor punishment to severe punishment
      please say so!!! Any input on the subject of capital punishment would be greatly beneficial....

What form of execution do you think this man deserves?

October 3, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Evan

Let's be fair. How do we know God hasn't stopped some even greater evils in the world? All of us are God's children even a murderer. Only God knows what happened in this mans life to make him do such terrible things and that's why only God can fairly judge this man.....but that don't mean God don't love us.

October 3, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Daniel & BK
      You both are missing the point. God gave mankind a choice and mankind chose to sin. Yes God does love all and he still loves all mankind sinners included. If you repent your sins and accept Him as your savior then you will have assurance of going to Heaven one day.

October 3, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Mich

Jeff... You are NOT a moron! You were just exercising that "free will" by asking a valid question.

I have always found it funny that when questions like 'why does God allow such to happen', the quesioner is turned into a sinner, moron, ... someone that is surely going to hell for even asking such. These type of reactions to such questions are really frustrations due to the fact that there are NO accurate religious answers. That "free will" we keep hearing about is called a FRONTAL LOBE... thanks to evolution.

That same bible that talks about free will, says that THIS monster that killed these people can 'find God' and ask for forgiveness.. then be allowed into heaven. Me, I believe in kindness and love for ALL... treating others with respect and moving through this life helping others, never hurting anyone or anything. BUT ME, I will go to hell because I did not turn my life over to God and believe!?! WHAT IS THAT? Answer that... and NO FREE WILL comment....

Someone stated that the United States uses prisons as a business... well...

Religion is not only a way to make folks feel better about the here after, and is a way to control humans and their behavior but most importantly... their pocket! it is the ULTIMATE business!!!

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I just hate that Jeff asked valid questions in an intelligent manner then crucified for doing so.

October 3, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Parlemort

You don't think this family's "time of need" was when they were being murdered? It's unfortunate that your god didn't help them then. He has free will, doesn't he? How could "he" ignore the terrified cries of this innocent toddler? Good day.

October 3, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • myk c

@ Jeff and Daniel...NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY can give an exact answer to your question...wanna know why? Simply because, God thinks BEYOND our thinking; He's ways BEYOND our ways.

I would really love to answer your question by the way I see and think about the situation, but opted to keep it, coz it might add salt to injury.

October 3, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Exodus 34:27
      And the Lord said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
      –(speculation)– God is making a deal with Moses, I wonder what kind of a deal murders get? Probably not a good one...

God does not like murder. Often in the Bible, God would describe to his children what he desires... I'v never read a passage in the Bible that even consists of the fact that God is pleased with murder.
      Everytime murder is brought up in terms of punishment, I rarely ends well for the accused. Often times it is said that fire comes up from the earth and devours them.

October 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • this guy

Jeff, the answer to your question can be answered if you address the huge assumption on your part that God's love implies some sort of protection for us. If you've ever heard of 'tough love', than you know that sometimes you have to suffer having to watch those you love go through some degree of pain; you do this because you know it will strengthen them and help them in the long run. We are not put on this Earth without reason – we are being tested. We have been given free will to do as we wish unto one another with Satan running amock, and no intervention from our Creator. In the end it remains to be seen who will be rewarded and who will be punished, and justice will be served for those who have lost or suffered in this temporary worldly life. Gone will be the suffering, replaced with something better. Not everyone will believe this...sometimes even those of us with eyes have trouble seeing what we don't want to. To each his own, but there's your answer.

October 11, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mars Blackman

Daniel
      Quick answer is that man was granted something that makes he the closest creation to God which is "free will". Wrongdoings and evil are what mankind does. And our wrongdoing and evil are resultant from a deviation from God. What we see going on in the world particularly in the last 6000 yrs is to allow humanity to see the results of a God-less life (notice I didn't say non-Christian or non-Islamic or non-religious). God exists. The is no contention between his existence and scientific thought. But man without God equal evil. Man with God equals life (live).

October 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NJ

This is very very sad. God be with the families.

October 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

...and you need to stop pushing your atheist agenda. You all are worse than any proselytizing Christian I've ever met. Fine, don't believe in God. Nobody cares. But don't do what you've been complaining about and shove your belief down everyone else's throat.

October 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Good job, michael!

October 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

I'm with Michael and Jimbo.

October 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • adamB

it is true you should not push your agenda down anyone's throat. however, the god agenda was brought up in the initial post so an atheist should be allowed to give an opposition view...he is going to hell after all 😛

October 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Parlemort

Well, you christians "shove it down our throats" by posting "gobblesses" to every forum on the internet. It is my moral imperative to provide counterbalance to buybull words. Good day.

October 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Debi

A little confusing, was this complete strangers entering a home at random to do this or are they related or known to each other? There is truly no excuse for the child being killed, none. Sympathy for the family of the victims but it would be helpful to understand why this happened unless it was random B/E and violence.

October 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aew

They believe it was a drug deal gone bad. It seems that two of the men killed were forced to strip naked first.

October 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Name*Maya

What is this world coming to? A 2 year old baby can't even talk ! This is more than sad!

October 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • borko61

My 2 yo speaks very well but it was not conceived when drunk on drugs, on other hand as long as can make "peace" sign there is really no need to speak.

October 2, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • S. Britchky

dxp2718 kills mosquitoes to keep them from reporting on his actions? Maybe it's just me, but I regard that as wasted energy.

October 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

dxp – Your argument is weak. A toddler is almost certainly going to turn into a fully functioing human being with higher leve thought, emotions and nerves. Mosquitos do not have that ability. So yes, it is sad that their lives were cut short before they could reach that potential

October 2, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I think what Name*Maya was sayimh is that a 2 yo, unlike an adult would not be able to indentify or describe the killer(s). So the 2 yo was n ot a threat to the killer(s). Why kill a baby if he can't harm you?

October 2, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justincase

Scott, your argument is weak. Mosquitoes obviously have the ability to fly, where human beings lack even the most basic ability to lift themselves off the ground. Therefore Mosquitoes are a higher life form than humans.

October 3, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr B

by developmental milestones, about 50% of what a 2-year-old speaks should be understandable. kids don't have 100% understandable speech until age 4.

October 3, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. ochocincA

THANKS AMERICA. FREEDOM OF GUNS. FREEDOM OF GUNS. THANK U AMERICA. ITS A SHAME. DESTROYIN YUOUR OWN NATION WITH YOUR OWN WEAPONS. NOWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD WE CAN BIY GUNS IN STREETS. NOWHERE.

October 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Try Switzerland you *#$&#* idiot. Everyone owns guns there.

October 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Wicki

@ochocincA....where do you live, on Mars??? If you have the money, you can buy a gun!!! You can buy a gun for $5 in Mexico!!!! In brazil they come up to you on the street and ask you if you need to buy a gun!! This actually happened to me, two young men approached me on the street to try to sale me drugs and told me they also had several guns and knives to sell!!!

October 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Creel

Obviously you don't travel much, you should do a little research before making a fool of yourself.

October 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MITConserv

The gun in this case was unregistered. Making them illegal doesn't make them any less available.

October 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeeper

Sounds like you can't buy dictionaries or "Speak-and-Spells" where you live. I guess the "No Child Left Behind" program did in fact leave you behind. Go back to school so you can learn to read and write, people will take your rants more seriously.

October 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

If guns were illegal then only criminals would have guns! Like every other country in the world where most residents live in fear.

October 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniPoohBear

I'm voting that you get the Epic Fail Award for this evening. Idiot.

October 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harold

so yu think this guy got his gun legally? Youre a jack a**

October 2, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • SteveMD

The problem isn't guns, the problem is that most people are too damn stupid to be trusted with guns. For example, have you ever noticed that about 70% of the people on the highway have absolutely no business driving cars? They are distracted, selfish, bad drivers. They are a menace to everyone else on the highway. There are so many just plain bad drivers it is frightening. Same with parents. There are just really bad parents all over the place. Now, if someone can't be trusted with a car, if they are a danger to themselves and others every time they step foot in a car, how in the world can they be trusted with a firearm? I am still pro-right to bear arms, but in reality, I don't think I want half the people that I encounter on the highways to be armed, they are just too damn stupid to be trusted with guns.

October 3, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
    • mccgeno

Are you out of your mind? It seems like everybody in the middle east and Africa over the age of 10 is walking around with an ak-47. How about Mexico, they seem to be having a little bit of gun trouble?

October 3, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Try learning how to spell and form coherent sentences before naming your screen name after a football player, first of all. Second of all, I would bet anything that on the street that I live on, you couldn't just buy a gun off of somebody. Because I live on a private road with people who do not sell guns illegally. Obviously the ability to buy guns on the street exists, but not on every street. Goodness, I can't wait to hear the reactions to this post.

October 3, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

One of the most ignorant comments ever. Having traveled this world (unlike you , apparently) I can name LOTS of places where guns are more easily accessible then in the USA. Then we can look at places like Australia, where they had massive gun bans, and compare it to a place like Texas and compare the crime statistics like Home Invasion. These crimes are HIGHER where the criminal knows there is lower likelihood of the LAW ABIDING citizen having a firearm. The bad guys in Texas know that if they decide to rob a house or pull a gun that the chances are pretty good that the person they are victimizing has a gun as well. Do your research...but please do so quietly....

October 3, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • coloradream

@the replies:
      Sure other countries have guns, but the US has the highest crime rates in the world. Idiots.

October 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul Lrenem (Dallas, Texas)

Why this sad act? Let the low be very strogly about it!

October 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alford Pleskin

My thoughts exactly. Derrrr.

October 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Non believer

Where was your god while this was happening maybe he was in a meeting with santa and the easter bunny no god

October 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Believer

You can't blame God until men have done everything in their power to stop such things.

October 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • litenup

The "Aliens" could have stopped it! They disarmed nuclear weapons back in the late 40's!

October 2, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

From one atheist to another, i'll give you some advice. There's not a whole lot admirable in pushing your beliefs on others unnecessarilly. If someone engages me in a debate, I'll go with it, but don't go out of your way to push your beliefs on others. It just makes you seem petty and small about the issue. To my atheism is about placing value on what we do know for a certainty, so trying to go to lengths to disprove God, is simply a fruitless worthwhile endeavor.

October 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Scott, there is no God. 🙂

October 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jasmine

Just saying...I am being brought up as a Buddhist, but I honestly do not know what that entails. I often wonder if God really exists. I think people use God as an excuse when they are scared; to have someone to pray to. People who believe in god are doing the "right" thing because they don't want to go to hell or sin, but shouldn't we all do what's right...because it's right? It's called karma folks! 🙂

October 3, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Whatnow

Kill this fuking loser!!!!!!

October 3, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • foil

You idiots. None of you know whether God exists or not, and you simply won't know for sure until you die. Here's the bottom line: if there is NO God, we're all in trouble. If there is a God, some of us are in trouble. If the God of the Old and New Testaments is the true God, MOST of us are BIG trouble. And if Allah is God, only America is in trouble. Now shut up!

October 3, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Vivian M.

The man is an animal and should be in a cage. I am sick up to here (motions towards neck) of handgun related murders. You folks who love your guns so much, please explain to me why they are so great? Murder suicides, random murders, botched robbery's, drive by shootings, hunting accidents – all in a day's news. I support the 2nd Amendment, but I hate guns. I simply hate them. In my town a 65 year old Granmda just shot her whole family up – granddaughters, son in law – Dead. If no handgun had been handy all that would have happened is some sort of scene or argument. All these handy guns are creating killing fields out of our neighborhoods. And you gun nuts just cling to your hollow ideology. I'll never get it.

October 2, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

It comes down to personal responsibility. If they didn't use a gun then they'd use a knife. You can't punish the many for the irresponsible few. I think the ironic part is that getting a concealed carry permit in Massachusetts is next to impossible. How did that work out for these people? More gun laws are not a practical solution. If someone has it in them to commit multiple murders then I'm sure they didn't check with a lawyer about the illegal posession of a firearm.

October 2, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Vivian, you're looking at the wrong issues. We should only seek to minimize violent crime (which has gone down dramatically since 1991). Seeking to outlaw guns is worthless, as there will always be an escalation of arms to get an edge over those you wish to harm. If handguns were completely removed 100%, you'd see a spike in knife violence and other forms. To those who advocate the position that if all had handguns it would be safer, you'd simply see a spike in stronger weaponry. The issue is eliminating the type of crime and why people engage in it. Seeking removal of the tools to the crime, will still allow the crime to happen.

October 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniPoohBear

To say that by everyone owning guns (handguns in particular) are irresponsible murderers just waiting to happen is asinine and makes you look like an idiot. If you removed people's rights to carry firearms, then guess what? We are at the mercy of the criminals! And if you think you can rely on the police to protect you, then you are even more stupid than I am giving you credit for. In the amount of time it would take an officer to reach you after your 911 call, you could practically cook an entire dinner and serve it.

So let's see. We'll put you in a house with a really crappy door that has a single handle lock. Then on the table we'll put a cell phone so you can call 911.....and a handgun. On top of that, we're gonna take the worst mo-fo out of prison that hasn't had a woman in years and tell him you're alone and without any sort of protection. Which one are you going to go for first when he comes through the door, Vivian?

October 2, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Paul Lrenem (Dallas, Texas)

Why this sad act? Let the low be very strongly about it!

October 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justincase

My low feels very strongly about it.

October 3, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. mary

gee Will – do you feel better now having vented your venomous heart?! What we all need to understand is that crime affects all of society, even you Will . You must be very sad and unhappy person. Show some compassion at least for the 2 year old. Shame on you and all the other bigots that write in on CNN on every subject that they turn into a racist rant. Good Grief!! Everyone grow up.

October 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joe

race has nothing to do with this tragedy that happend. So to all you racist idiots...remember this GOD LOVEVERY1 regardless of their skin color. My prayers go out to the victims families.

October 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BuzzMann

Obviously there are some people that shouldn't own guns,but because some are idiots does that mean that all of us should be punished.Gun control and the 2nd Amendment both have valid points but a solution must be found.This is coming from a gun owner ,actually I have 5.

October 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuzzMann

I will say I don't own a handgun ,I always felt it would be to easy to just get mad and do something stupid and rash before thinking about it.

October 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • B. A.

Hey, Buzz, like I'm oldish and I have owned guns since you could buy them at Western Auto. Let's see. that's, um, 47 years ago. Now, back then, it was very scary where and how I grew up. I managed to rescue myself from many dangerous situations without shooting anyone. But, yes, I thought I might have to. Yay, me and all the other people with 1/2 a brain and some common sense. IT AIN'T THE GUNS FAULT.

October 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

BuzzMann, it sounds like you could snap one day and use one of your 5 guns or maybe they will get in the wrong hands.

B.A., the gun didn't do it. It just made it a LOT easier.

October 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • nursechris

Wow; paranoia and the probable 'joy' of killing other living things...if happiness is a warm gun you must be ecstatic!

October 4, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. dj

Bad guys will always get guns, legal or not. Suicides will happen, guns legal or not. Guns also save innocent lives. If more Good People would own n learn how to properly n safely handle a gun, that gun could've saved that childs life n the others. Someday Somebody may save your life or your childs life because they own a Gun. Then you will be thankful that Somebody Good had a Gun n knew how to use it. Thank God we still have the right to protect ourselves n our loved ones with a gun. Take away that right and nobody who is a civilian will have a gun but the Bad Guys! Think first. Guns Don't Kill. People Do. My prayers go out to the families n friends who are suffering from their lose. Get Gun Educated. dj

October 2, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fifty

Finally, common sense. The guy committed 2 crimes just having the gun & ammunition. Did any law stop him? No, it probably stopped the victims from being able to defend that baby.

October 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mya saunders

To the familly of the victem my prayers are with you. It doesnt matter what they did in life no one had the right to take a life . We will all answer to God someday for what we do here with our time .so do something better with your time then disrespecting the dead.

October 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Semper Fi don't hide

Get out of Moms basement! Fool!

October 2, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |