October 5th, 2010

Part of Chicago tops list of dangerous neighborhoods

The neighborhood contained within Chicago's 60612 zip code topped a list of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the United States, according to an analysis released this week.

Compiled by NeighborhoodScout, a consulting company that specializes in location-based analysis and risk assessment, the rankings are based on rates of violent crime per 1,000 people gathered from 17,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide, from municipal police to university and transit patrols.

Resident of Chicago's West Lake Street neighborhood stand a 1 in 4 chance of being a victim of crime, and the violent crime rate is 257.72 per 1,000, according to the study.

Other standout figures came from Atlanta - home of CNN and Turner Broadcasting - which has four neighborhoods on the list, more than any other city.

Two neighborhoods in Las Vegas, Nevada, also came in third and fourth on the list.

The study chose to look at data by neighborhoods instead of cities because cities with high crime rates can still have safe neighborhoods, said Andrew Schiller, founder of NeighborhoodScout.

For example, he points out that the city of Chicago ranks 48th out of 100 on an upcoming list of most dangerous cities in the United States, despite its standing in this study.

"To have a considerably dangerous neighborhood or two or three and then have the city overall be 48th suggests considerable social fragmentation, where pockets of high crime exist where other areas aren’t as affected," he said.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. OMG!

This information is good to know when people are moving to different cities and neighborhoods.

October 5, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. me

jeez dude, what a thing to say!

October 5, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tomcat

Hey wow your right Zapata! You never hear of a white person hispanic or anyother nationality comitting a heinous crime.

October 6, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. bob

HATE,FEAR,FUNDAMEMTALISM AND THE ELEMENT OF BEING POOR, help create bad neigorboods; in fact, even many world countrys fall pray to the people that wield these tools to deconstruct basic human elements needed to allow dignity within a human beings life. Life isnt fair and people in these neigborhoods are know this first hand. The above comment of hate reminds me of when police in los angles prevented people of certain color and neigborhoods from leaving that area and crime went up, its like creating a prison system within a neigborhood. Your going to have crime, riots and degeneration of the morale code of which we all have the feeling of right and wrong. Like people looked up in maxim secruity prisons that purposely cause trouble just to have any kind of human interaction even if bad. We need more programs that get these people not stuck in this prison of a neigborhood but something that allows them to get out of this prison that is contaminating there well being. Hate when will we see the lack of faith init

October 6, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. tomcat

bob I kind of get what I think you are trying to say but some services have been offered to the poor but they have learned to use them to their advantage. Please dont see this as a racist comment as all races abuse the system. I live from one paycheck to the next I also see people on food stamps leave the store get in a nice car and drive off while I wait for the bus or walk home.

October 6, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Brieske

Bob. You are a true liberal. What is needed is a program blah blah blah. You disgust me and are an enabler.
    The bad people need to be shot and killed in a nation wide sweep over a seven no, six day period. The police and military can rest on the seventh day.
    You only need to do it one time and the problem will be solved forever.
    Who's to blame for having to do it? The lawmakers in Washington D.C. They have failed to correctly punish criminals to prevent the murder of innocent people.

Breaking and entering another person's residence = the death penalty ASAP
    Automobile theft = the death penalty ASAP
    Pocession of an unregistered firearm = the death penalty ASAP
    If the immediate death penalty is not given for breaking those laws and others, then you sweep through like I stated.
    But it only takes one person to be executed immediately for each crime and that ends the law being broken.
    All those innocent people's lives are saved. Thousands and thousands.
    jim

October 6, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. T-2000

Wow I moved from Chicago to Atlanta in May of 2008. And the violence on the South Side ( Englewood ) was a big reason why I moved. But like the article says Atlanta is bad in certain areas to. I love Chicago, its my homtown but the violence seems to get worse every year. In November of 1994 I got shot 6 times while I was in a car with my mom and sister on the south side. The kid who shot me got off so I know personally how bad Chicago is. Me and my sister laugh @ the smash and grab idiots down here. I wish that was the worst thing we had to worry about in Chicago, I probably would still be there.

October 6, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Chicago has a much lower rate of violent crime than it did back in the mid 90's. In fact in most areas of the city the amount of violent crime is half of what it was 15 or 20 years ago. Chicago is the third largest city in the country, covers 235 sq. mile and has a population of almost 3 million. Some of Chicago approximately 180 neighborhoods do have high rates of violent crime other Chicago neighborhoods have very low rates of violent crime.

November 3, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. tomcat

take a hand when they steal. Other body parts could be removed depending on the crime

October 6, 2010 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. tomcat

wow six shots?

October 6, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Don

No one wants to go to east l.a..or west Texas cities mostly Mexicans Zapata

October 6, 2010 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. tomcat

I guess they werent using a 38 or a 357 a glock or even an ak. bb or cap gun I bet

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. T-2000

No tomcat, I was hit with a shotgun on 51st & St Lawrence all on my right side. Once in the shoulder (still no feeling in the shoulder to this day)twice in the arm, once in the thigh and twice in the leg. I had to re-learn how to walk and as anyone hit with a shotgun can tell u – you have pellets/buckshots in your body that will be there for the rest of your life. The doctors can only get so much out. Luckily neither my mom or sister got shot.

October 6, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. T-2000

And believe it or not I didnt feel anything when it first happened. My doctor said thats because I was in shock. But when I woke from surgery the next day I felt it. But the worst pain was getting my wounds cleaned out and the gaughes/ (I think thats how you spell it) changed everyday. That was a Million Times worse than the actual shooting.

October 6, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. tomcat

ok so you were just rollin along and bam no reason for the shooter to target you?

October 6, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Spence40

This is a joke. There is no safe neighborhoods in the entire City of Detroit. As soon as a house is vacant for two or more days the protective iron doors are taken of , the hot water tank and plumbing are stolen, the Air Conditioners behind the houses are removed and the Aluminum siding is taken from the outside of the house. Drugs are openly sold on the streets by caravans of Drug gangs that are in touch constantly with cellphones and Detroit is just a preview of the lawlessness that is running this Nation!

October 6, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |