October 5th, 2010

Part of Chicago tops list of dangerous neighborhoods

The neighborhood contained within Chicago's 60612 zip code topped a list of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the United States, according to an analysis released this week.

Compiled by NeighborhoodScout, a consulting company that specializes in location-based analysis and risk assessment, the rankings are based on rates of violent crime per 1,000 people gathered from 17,000 law enforcement agencies nationwide, from municipal police to university and transit patrols.

Resident of Chicago's West Lake Street neighborhood stand a 1 in 4 chance of being a victim of crime, and the violent crime rate is 257.72 per 1,000, according to the study.

Other standout figures came from Atlanta - home of CNN and Turner Broadcasting - which has four neighborhoods on the list, more than any other city.

Two neighborhoods in Las Vegas, Nevada, also came in third and fourth on the list.

The study chose to look at data by neighborhoods instead of cities because cities with high crime rates can still have safe neighborhoods, said Andrew Schiller, founder of NeighborhoodScout.

For example, he points out that the city of Chicago ranks 48th out of 100 on an upcoming list of most dangerous cities in the United States, despite its standing in this study.

"To have a considerably dangerous neighborhood or two or three and then have the city overall be 48th suggests considerable social fragmentation, where pockets of high crime exist where other areas aren’t as affected," he said.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. tomcat

was this an act of random violence? I am still wondering how the kid got off.

October 6, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. phil

Good Morning tomcat, T-2000. Where's Duke? (smile) Yeah, I,ve always maintained that it's safer for most of US to walk down inner-city Iraq blvd. than it is inner city USA.blvd. And the statistics bear this out. If you visited the USA for the first time, you would know something is wrong just by noticing how we treat ea. other while driving. We have become so divided by our leaders, we can hardly stand one another. Political leaders, and most disgusting of all, religious leaders, are constantly fanning the flames of that which divides US. These crooked leaders only act as if they too are divided.

October 6, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. tomcat

thank you Spence there is no need for rankings. I see the slingin gang bangin postin and squattin everyday not to mention the crack heads and home less hittin you up

October 6, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

"Yet ! the evil men in government are compelled to show a public face of sympathy for the oppressed and must pretend, at all times, to be one of them.....seeking to rectify the very wrongs they have secretly commited." quoting Cicero's father. I forget his name.

October 6, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. tomcat

Top of the mornin Phil. Cant get an answer to my question from T

October 6, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. T-2000

I do miss Giordano's pizza. Chicago has the best pizza in the world.

October 6, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. phil

Tomcat? you were asking T-2000 if he was randomly targeted? It's possible. Steve Martin (actor, comedian) was randomly targeted in "The Jerk". Remeber that movie?

October 6, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. T-2000

Hey tomcat, to this day we still do not know the reason why he shot at us. I was not in a gang and never have been. My mom is a Deputy Sheriff @ Cook County Jail and my sister had just come home for Thanksgiving break from SIU in Carbondale, IL. The police said it was either a gang initiation or they thought I was in a gang and was wearing the wrong colors. I didnt have on any colors associated with the BD's or the GD's. The reason he got off was because only my sister could positively identify him. I only saw him for a few seconds if that much before I had to duck. They needed more than one person to identify the guy and out of the 3 of us only my sister could do that. She saw the car following us but just thought the guys were tryin to look @ her and my mom which happened a lot.

October 6, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. ajr

T-2000, I am touched by your story. My aunt was shot by her ex husband with the same weapon so I know exactly what you went through afterwards. She can no longer work anymore. I also will pray for the guy who made the racist comment at the beginning of this blog.

October 6, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jim Brieske

ajr. What guy who made the racist comment? You need to be more specific.
    I would like to read the comment but I don't have to read all the comments to determine if you know what you are talking about.
    Plus if you are referring to me, that's laughable and you are truly wasting your time.
    I gave the solutions to the problem (one or the other) and I didn't pull them from my butt.
    jim

October 6, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. T-2000

Its cool ajr. We just have to ignore the idiots with crazy comments.

October 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elle

Thumbs up @ tomcat.

October 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. whitekong78

I think CIA and Military operations against the criminal elements would be a good thing. Detroit cops are too scared to do their jobs so bring in someone that will do it for them. Every poor person can get free shelter and schooling but many choose crime as an answer. The lazy cops should be forced to pay back all the money they stole from the taxpayers.

October 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ori

I Think Chicago This Area Is As Far As Gangs N Shooting

October 6, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jim Brieske

No person gets shot six times and is not somehow responsible for five of them.
    What T-2000, you think I am fool? Oh I just got off the bus. I am naive like the other bloggers in this section.
    Leaving out information makes you A LIAR!
    jim