October 6th, 2010

Dodo trophy goes to BP's Tony Hayward

Former BP CEO Tony Hayward gets the bird.

BP's former CEO has won a couple yachting trophies in his day. But displaying his latest trophy probably won't fly with him.

The Center for Biological Diversity, a non-profit organization, has given Hayward its 2010 Rubber Dodo Award. The award recognizes the person who the group says "has done the most to drive endangered species extinct."

According to the Center: "Under Hayward's leadership, BP secured the right to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico by submitting documents to the U.S. government falsely claiming that a major spill could not happen. It also submitted a false and ludicrous spill-response plan claiming it could capture spilling oil before the oil caused any environmental or economic damage."

During the months-long worst oil spill in U.S. history, more than 3,600 dead birds were collected in the Gulf, wildlife officials said. Hundreds of turtles and other animals were lost.

Hayward was called before a British parliament committee to discuss the spill and said cost cutting had not led to the disaster.

As the mouthpiece of BP, Hayward had a penchant for putting his foot in it. In May, he told the "Today" show that "there's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

He stepped down as BP's CEO in July and took a seat on the board with TNK-BP (A split venture between Russian investors and BP.)

The dodo is a flightless bird commonly used as the archetype of an extinct species.

Hayward is the fourth person to receive the annual award. Previous winners are (2009) land speculator Michael Winer; (2008) then-Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin; (2007) Interior Secretary Dick Kempthorne.

CNN'S FULL COVERAGE OF THE GULF SPILL

1. Sara

I hope oil does go up again, its the only thing that makes the majority of people realize something has to give.

October 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

Give? What? Stop driving? Stop using motor vehicles to move freight in the global distribution channels? How you going to get stuff from A to B without motor freight (yes ships are included)? Oh I get it, we can switch EVERYTHING to green power tonight and the world will be saved. Whew, it got scared there for a second when I thought we were going to have to continue using fossil fuel for decades.

October 6, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sara

@redisgreat, your thinking is exactly WHY nothing ever gets done. It's always an all or nothing with you people.
    So negative about anything to do with change, typical conservative rhetoric, never fails

October 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greased Palm Sunday

No kidding Sarah. Its such a weak arguement with people that are scared of progress. Scared it might make their life harder. "We can't change because we can't change."
      When hundreds of millions of people start to make small changes they add up.

October 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

Negative? Conservative? No I just thought about the situation and found that green power is not something that will work out any time soon. How are you going to implement it? Where are you going to allow new building to occur? Who is going to pay for the initial investment? How is it going to be attached to the power grid? How much will it cost? Is it economical to transmit the power generated from a wind farm over long distances? Answer those few simple questions and then think of how YOU can get it done in YOUR area. What do YOU have to do to make it happen for YOU. I don't really care where my power comes from. Right now it comes mostly from a nuclear power station 20 miles from where I live. I helped build the plant and it is online. Some other power comes from several coal fired units within 100 miles. I stated before that there are no viable alternative green energy sources available to me. There are several biofuels projects in place but the results of testing on them have been mixed to poor at best. So no there is nothing that will change my life within the next 10-20 years.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

So Greased PalmSunday – what do you do to male things better? Do you compost? I do. Do you change your air filters on your HVAC every month to make it more energy efficient? I do. Do you do regular maintenance on your vehicles to make sure they are as energy efficient as they can be? I do. Do you turn the thermostat down at night and during the day when you are not home to save energy (and money)? I do.

Yeah "people like me" are the problem in this country. We think about problems and do what we can about them. Grow up and start thinking and DOING.

October 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

He clearly has no clue about Telsa.

October 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

Oh Heather my dear, you simply do not know my brother-in-law. He is a Tesla expert in many ways and has explained painstakingly how the machines work and the power flows. Yes I am aware of Tesla. In fact the gentleman in the office next to me was born in the same village as Tesla and has admired him all his life. My office neighbor is a successful engineer and has never been able to reproduce anything Tesla envisioned (he has tried many times). So yes Tesla is well known to me. that is not a simple answer. Try again.

October 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HomeyWorld

Too bad the Dodo wasn't covered with oil it would have been more appropriate.

October 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sparky

Tony Hayward should get the a__hole award

October 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

Ummm, he did, it was just the polite society way of doing it.

October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Greased Palm Sunday

And the man walks away with hundreds of millions of dollars for his 'service'
    Shareholders should be ashamed.

October 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

Why they got their cut too. Business is about making shareholders money. They do not care how much money Tony got, it comes from a different pot of money. The shareholder makes money as long as the company them dividends and keeps the business afloat. The Board of Directors (who are shareholders yes) decide who comes and goes as CEO. They were made to look bad but it was not all Tony's fault so they paid to keep quiet and let him walk. Oh don't even try to believe that any other way. hehe

October 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John B

The award should have gone to BP...not this idiot. Why? Because they didn't fire him...they simply switched his position with yet another moron.

October 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Buck Jackson

If it were me I would call to accept the award and have a speech ready.

October 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Suzy Pinkpeach

Is it true that the BPCares website coming soon?. What is BP's motivation to build the BPCares website?. I guess that the TV campaign is really costing them. The BPCares website will be much cheaper and sustainable.
    So why BP has to own all of the BPCares domains?. Are they afraid that someone is going to use it against them?
    I don't understand why BP has to own all of the following domains:
    BPCares.com
    BPCares.net
    BPCares.org
    BPCares.info
    BPCares.us
    BPCares.biz
    This website is NOT what I want for Christmas. We need to reach out to BP about this Christmas gift.

October 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ray gibbs

But for the lack of the industry's "highest" safety standards there would be no award, loss of human & animal life, spoils of the economy, environment and food chain–damages and fines in the billions. A second so award belongs to BP's Board of Directors.

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Terence Gaffney

I'd give T.Hayward MORE than a Dodo Bird – I'd give him a year in jail plus NO EMPLOYMENT EVER in the oil business – he's a selfish arrogant so-called man!!!!!!! Before his jail sentence give him 6 months cleaning-up the oil!!!!!!!trpg44

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TJ

Sarah Palin's name comes up every time you turn around but this time it's appropriate. I can't think of a better dodo to get the DoDo Award. Can she get it this year and next year too??

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Julia

For all of you wondering about the government being to blame for some of this, well...the Bureau of Land Management, known as the BLM "OKAYS" all of those risky proceedures before the any work is done. The government was once again asleep at the wheel!

October 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • redisgreat

At least a part of the government was. Let me ask you since you seem to be bright, did you know what was going on in the Gulf with all the deep water drilling? It was in the public record.

October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Julia

As in the poor engineering design that BP had in the cement structure of the well?

October 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. redisgreat

Kids it has been fun. I guess you all still have home work to do so I will not keep you any longer. Remember – question authority before it questions you. Never give up – even in the face of evidence that proves you totally wrong (actually do give up and learn something for a change). STOP drinking the green power coolaid and research it yourself. Ask questions. Think about how to get it done. You can make changes true, if you want to. and lastly NEVER be afraid to argue with someone, that is what makes life so interesting. If all your friends agree with you all the time you need to start talking to strangers for a bit. 😉

October 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Julia

Everyone needs to read the article that came out in the Wall Street Journal shortly after the incident, I believe it was a week or so after. It so far has been the best article on this whole screw up. But because of one company making poor decisions all of the companies in this industry will now suffer. It would be the same as if you were in the automobile industry or any other.

As for the dodo award the reason they don't mention the poor sea lions, etc. is because the dodo is a bird so they kind of stuck with "birds" in their article as the wildlife they were concerned with.

October 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |