October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. kennyliu

ok...just look at him. And he's vehemently anti-gay?. Ringing any bells yet?? Too many people losing sight of the issue. This moron is a closeted 'fruitcake' himself!

October 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kmurph

The bible also says a woman shall leave her father and be given to her husband (property) and she shall be a virgin. If she is not a virgin the punishment is stoning to death. Who will all the white straight guys screw when 75% of the women are stoned to death? Gays are not asking for anything special just to be treated the same as everyone else. that means not having to hide who they are to keep from getting fired or evicted or severly beaten and left for dead on barb wire fences in WY.

October 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cyd

Researcher you are correct! I did live in NC for a while when I was very young (about 16), the passiveness of the people there was unbelieveable, I had to move NORTH. My cousins still live there and they are now between 40 -50 years old who are not registered voters. This is where I was going with my comment.

October 7, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carlos

I love the comments bashing this guy for his email comments, then they go on to say that he is probably a frootloop, or that he looks like a fruitloop. Do these posters not realize that they are doing exactly what he did? I guess libs don't recognize hypocracy. Its funny to see people spewing hate about those that they have judged as hate spewers. Hello pot, met kettle.

October 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. johnnie-London.

in britain,gays's about 20% or more. every family have'em.

October 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Thriller

I think some of the Fruitloops are Trix.

October 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shannon

I guess it's the year of racists, bigots and idiots, there all GOPs, imagine that.

October 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. farquar

So his true feeling come out. so what?

October 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Carlos

I love how libs spew hate on those that they disagree with, all the while judging others that determine are hate spewers. Like all the psoters on here condeming this guy for what he said, as they then say the exact same thing about him. Hate is hate, it does not matter if it is hate flowing left to right or right to left. I don't see why libs ignore the hate that flows from the left to the right, and conservs ignore hate flowing right to left; all the while both sides judge the other as hateful.
    I've seen lots of hate directed at the likes of Bush, and lots directed to Obama, and both sides only recognize the incoming hate, not the outgoing. I hate to tell ya'll, there are both good and eveil people on BOTH sides.

October 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thriller

Here you go, hating on the haters. What does that make you? A Fruitloop!

October 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JerryP

Inbreeding.

October 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Duhhhhh

surprise surprise surprise, a gay bashing republican from the south, who would have thunk it?

October 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jack Noble

Great, Mr. Brown and you are supposed to be an adult!

October 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. seraphimo

Looks like this guy has tasted all the colors of the rainbow aka, fruitloops. Maybe he needs to get his loop out of his closet!

October 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TOP01

I believe that ALL MEN are creared equal. I do mean the true word "MEN". Just remember that you will be forgiven 7 times 70. Thats all I'm saying. Then you can guess where you go from that. Then again some people don't even believe in Him! You'll find out the hard way as all who don't listen to him. Burn Baby Burn!!!!!

October 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TheTruth

I can't believe they ruined the beauty of a rainbow for the rest of us.

October 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |