October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. PCola Vet

Blows my mind how really STUPID people are nowadays in the 'technology age' we live in. Daily it seems someone is getting busted for something they put in an e-mail or on their phone or texting, or the like. HOW STUPID are you people, lol???? If you put something in an e-mail, it's going to be SEEN by ALL, same with the phone and filming, it can all be traced back to the owner. Duhhh, lets see, I'll send out this e-mail taking shots at gays, and duhhh, that'll be the end of it, duhhhh, lol. Yep, the end of your career DA!!!!!!

October 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick

This guy's a facist.

October 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

I don't hate gays. I hate AIDS.

October 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TheTruth

I love libtards

October 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. marc10

Hmmm. Let's make a poll on how long it takes before the senator is caught in a bathroom tapping his foot

October 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fastball

"Live your life, do you job, and shut up.".....I'm sure that is exactly what ordinary gay folks would like to do. Instead they have to fight like dogs to be treated like a human being in this LAND OF THE FREE.

October 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Doyle

Just another idiot, being idiotic. I'm GAY and proud !

October 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I agree...another idiot! Always be proud!!! 🙂

October 7, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katelyn

Wow, you'd think that he'd at least fake a little respect or tact..

October 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Richard

You would think those types of people would like the term "FruitLoops". It just seems like kind of soft, gentle and multi colored. Some people you just can't please. You really have to question why these people who would be offended by the term "FruitLoop"

October 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MOBADTHANGOOD

Well the GNN moderators are starting to kick me out of everything so all you guys be happy and gay.

later

October 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HAHA

I think being gay is natures way of peacefully controlling human population on earth! Knowing that humans have no predators (except we kill each other) , if nature needs a way to keep our population under control, this is the safest way!

October 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BOB

They should be prayed for and encouraged to repent of their unnatural conduct.

October 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jon

He could have avoided all of this hoopla, if he'd used the terms "utfra-ooplas" or "eerquas". That would have made everyone laugh.

October 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sam

What difference does it make if someone is gay or straight; the fact is, the politician should not have used such language since he is supposed to be professional. I get tired of hearing others' opinions about gays when in all truth, they're not bothering anyone...who gives a #### what others do in their own private time with a partner, spouse, or whatever you want to call it. Damn, give me a break and focus on something else worth mentioning.

October 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chris

As I sit here at my desk in North Carolina, I wonder why this is even mentioned on CNN. This is 100% normal here. As long as your one of "them" God Fearing Christian folk that votes for the same party your great Grandaddy did, your ok, otherwise your a fruit loop.

October 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |