October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. colorado chris

So does he only represent the straight people in his district? Isn't he supposed to represent everyone?

October 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Russ

He just calls them like he sees 'em. Its refreshing to have a politician finally speak the truth.

October 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sense4sure

My pappy always said "call it like it is and don't second guess it afterward."

October 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. john P

I don't care about percentages, the real question is whether He did the right thing or not. Too many politicians and ordinary people are not willing to stand up for what is right and just follow the majority regardless of how very wrong the action or subject matter is.

October 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Harvey

Dear Mr. Brown....

Please send me a few boxes of free cereal and maybe donate the rest to a food bank.
    Maybe next time you could call them "dollars" so they flood your office with those.
    Keep up the good work.

October 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Connie

I am sick of gays dictating what we can say about their lifestyle and they are abusing so called hate crimes. You know, I don't like fruitloops and I don't like gays making victims out of themselves for attention.

October 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Snidely J. Smithers

Coco-puffs maybe but definitely not fruitloops....

October 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I hate liberals

Oh but I'm sure if a democrat said that there would not even be mention of it on CNN. Liberals=butt mud.

October 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robert W.

I wonder if it was a case of "reply all" instead of reply. It happened to me once. But It wasn't about cereal or anything that bad.

October 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dva

Wow, another old white "good ol boy from the South....thank goodness they are getting older. They still think our country has only 13 states..."A man who lives not by what he loves but by what he hates is a sick man" (Archibald Macleish)

October 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JiminNM

Hate the sin but not the sinner. Maybe he just hates the sin.

October 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DS

Sigh. Everyone in his district in NC should vote for a write-in candidate: Tucan Sam.

October 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Don't kid yourself this idiot reflects NC perfectly. I moved to NC a few years ago and discovered a place full of bigotry and hate. I couldn't stand it, so I moved to DC after only 9 months.

October 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JiminNM

People have a right to express their view about immorality.

October 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Doc

Hey Tbera- There's quite a bit getting rammed down your throat but it isn't what you described!

October 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pete

I think more than half the people writing about this stuff are "fruitloops" (whether they're gay or straight, who the hell cares)! The guy has just as much right to his opinion as everyone else. Isn't that called free speech in a free society??? And, that doesn't change once you're elected to public office either. If the voters in his district don't like what he says (or does) then they will vote him out. How about CNN concerntrate more on reporting newsworthy events and not writing about on BS like this!!!

October 7, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Get Over It

Really-who the crap cares-get over it! It was inappropriate yes–shouldn't be condoned–but NO worse than anything coming out of Biden's mouth

October 7, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |