October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. mark from Las Vegas

Well, I don't see anything wrong with this. He can call anyone anything he wants to. He just has to put up will all the crap when a bunch of people get mad. You never know, it might have been a ploy because of his desire to eat Fruit Loops. Maybe he owns stock in Kelloggs and wants a boost in share prices.

October 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob in VA

Looks like a closeted polesmoker to me.

October 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ted

Was that wrong? Should he not of done that? Because I have to tell you, i think if he thought that kind of thing was frowned upon he wouldn't have done it.

October 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carrie Higby

Who cares about the pols!!?? I have long since stop caring bout the majority of the ignorant thinking public. Inersting to see this very bland, not attracive, older man referring to others that he sees as "below him" as "fruit loops." First lets talk about the fact that this guy obviously as self image issues to be bulling ANYONE, or calling ANYONE names, who is HE? some representative from North Carolina who looks like....OK wont go that low, but REALLY! Who died and left this Kermit the Frog look-alike school yard bully!! Please -let this ignorant little man come up to NY and cal ME a fruit loop! Whe will leave loosing much more thn just his glassess!!! And to think people ELECTED this ignoramous! HA! Obviouly this guy has "little man" complex evident by his grade-school language and reference to GLTB persons. Who knows, maybe he is chained in his closet???It is not too unusual for those that are so ignorant in thier statements like this that he is very likely a "froot-loop" himself!!!! Goodfo you REP!! The bullied , has become a bully!!!

October 7, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Bob

Brown said just what any wingnut would say.

October 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Bob

Pale face speaks with forked tongue.

October 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. anonymous

I bet this old guy has s h i t stains in his briches.

October 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bruce C.

How come its always the old, ugly ones who think we're after them?

October 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

Isn't that Larry "Bud" Melman from Letterman?

I thought he passed away...

October 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. anonymous

GuitarZach, I am sure you have a full understanding of anything Paul assumably said...

October 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Paulie

Fruit loops is a polite term.

October 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Paulie

Geez I hope they dont all start killing themselves (/facepalm)

October 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tim

Takes one to know one. He is probably a closeted old fart himself.

October 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr Frank N Furter

Oh, but gawd he looks good in leather, spandex, fishnets and spiked heels!

October 7, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jason

So ... did he actually say anything disparaging in regards to the fruitloops? Did he mock their fashion sense or call them unholy abominations?

He just used a silly name from a cereal box? OH THE HORROR!!

October 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tank

As a gay republican and one who is fed up with the party sees this as a tackless act. As someone who identifies his political views mostly with this party, I have to say I am a shamed of their behavior as of late. I might find another party to align myself with. I am over this crazy talk. Shame on you.

October 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |