October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. Danny

CNN is THE Gay Network Advocate.

October 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. and your point ?

????

October 7, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. EM

Look at da guy. Like some insurance salesman from the 1950s.

October 7, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

Gays have had enough publicity already. Time for them to go back to the closet where they belong. Being gay is not normal and never will be.

October 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. in your closet

I love you all.ecspecially the men.i'm a fruitloop with an obsession for man meat.give me your sausage.i will devour it in my love tunnel.

October 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

Sickness rears it's disgustingly ugly head.

October 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CDS

RICHARD....Exactly what "detailed" surveys done in the UK and Canada are you referring to??? At best 2%??? Really?? There is a reason why gays are known as 10%'ers in many studies done WORLDWIDE. The 2% you refer to may be the
    "self identified" part of the gay population, but I think any self respecting social scientist can assure you that those 2% are no where near all.
    As for such a small percentage requiring so much attention.....well, let's see. I don't recall the likes of Matthew Shepard or more recently, Tyler Clementi actively SEEKING attention. I believe it was thrust upon them by the likes of the hateful and micro-minded neanderthals who form a significant part of YOUR 90%. So if you don't like all of the noise generated by simply decent people asking that our LAWS protect them against these thugs.....well, too bad. Get over it!

October 7, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. D Frost

Well, aren't they? "Fruity, flavorful, light, airy, sweet?" When did everyone start taking themselves so seriously?

October 7, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

The gay reaction to "fruitloop" reminds me of the public officials fired for using a word that starts with N, followed by an "I" and a couple of G's then an ARD and an "LY". the word simply means "not generous" but black leaders, fanning the flames of racism, lied saying it was a racist remark. You poor poor gays are really cluthcing at straws here.

October 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. James

I like him. I like anyone that calls a spade a spade. Now all he's gotta do is talk about how usless and pathetic the republican and democratic parties are and MAYBE he gets to keep his job. Then again, Americans are idiots. So I'm sure you idiots are going to vote to keep the sell outs and money wasters running our country.

October 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phil

Forgive the crostic. CNN wouldn't allow me to post that dictionary word outright.

October 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phoolish Phil

No you are not forgiven, or excused for your caustic, crostic stupidity. Really, it never fails some knucklehead will play the African-American slur card or variation thereof, when your argumentive stance is without merit and basless. It is really unbecoming and poor etiquette to straw-suck your tall, empty glass of mint-jubilee grudge of an issue so long, so old, and so stale.
      Find another jocker card, phool!

October 11, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. TriB

I'm so glad my "servitude" in that state has come to a finale.

October 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fruitty loops

Hey when 40% of Americans don't agree, its called the Filibuster! Just ask the Republicans. They know it really well.

October 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. out of your closet and into phils bed

They way you speak excites me.Phil me with your man meat big boy.Talk dirty to me.You know you like it.Give me that sausage you manly man.Come toss my fruitloop baby

October 8, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. okay

A f@g is a f@g and a spade is a spade ... Why all the crying ? I'm still mad he disrespected Fruit Loops like that ! GET OVER IT PEOPLE AND QUIT TAKING EVERYTHING SO SERIOUSLY..so the guy is a southern bigot..good for him..nothing wrong with speaking(typing) your mind..BUT..he shoulda left Toucan Sam out of it..thats the only thing disgarceful about his comments

October 8, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |