October 7th, 2010

N.C. Republican calls gays 'fruitloops' in e-mail

Rep. Larry Brown is in hot water over a "fruitloops" e-mail.

A gay rights group is asking people to flood a North Carolina state representative's office with cereal after the Republican referred to gays as "queers" and "fruitloops" in an e-mail to other lawmakers.

Rep. Larry Brown, a Republican, was replying to an e-mail that state House Minority Leader Paul Stam sent to members of his caucus. That message, dated September 27, discussed Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney receiving an award from Equality NC, according to Hackney spokesman Bill Holmes.

The e-mail string, which Holmes provided to CNN, had about 60 recipients. Brown's response consisted of two sentences: "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him [Hackney]. I'm sure there will be a couple of legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Messages left at Brown's legislative office were not returned Thursday morning. The cell number listed on his official state page is not working, and a message sent to Brown's e-mail address was not returned.

Brown is running unopposed for re-election this year.

The e-mail was made public recently when Equality NC Executive Director Ian Palmquist received a copy of it. "I was pretty shocked to see a legislator using that language," Palmquist said.

"Rep. Brown needs to apologize, but we haven't received any contact from him, not a word. It's offensive, but I really don't think he reflects what most North Carolinians think about gay people."

Stam told News 14 North Carolina that Brown's language was inappropriate but that he was not "the speech police."

Post by:
Filed under: North Carolina
  1. chuck

They are fruitloops.

October 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris H

Sources also confirmed the senator referred to the British as "Cheerios" and African Americans as "Count Chocula".

October 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. walleye46

OH THE GOP. The Christian party that keeps on giving. Ever hear the passage "love thy neighbor"? Maybe he should read the good book a little more closely. Remember that God made man in is own image.

October 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ninja

YAY! Say it like it is brown!

October 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Raleighguy

The guy was expressing his opinion. He has the right to his opinion and can express that opinion under the 1st amendment. I for one am feed up with this PC garbage.

October 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe Mama

FRUIT LOOP'S, LOL

October 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eli

You know the old saying God does not make mistakes, well either he did or it is ok to be gay because I have always been gay. Ive went to church my entire life and come from a VERY religious home and have always been very comfortable with who I am. I think thats because I know I was born gay and God made me this way, BUT sometimes I do wonder why God allows pedophiles to molest helpless children, why helpless children die with cancer and other diseases, why horrible things happen to helpless children that can not defend themselves. Why did my grandmother suffer for 4 1/2 years with Alzhimers, causing pain for her and her family--WHY???

October 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Glenn

How can a Representative, whom is to help all citizens, effectively stop discrimination and hate if he himself is the one abusing it. Maybe he should step down and allow someone else to represent the whole people of NC.

October 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LINDA

Well ya"ll see what republicans are made of-hate,and lies-they have no clue of what a human being is and what they are all about, well we see just what they all stands for, if they could send us all of color back they would and if they get anywhere in the whitehouse we all are going to HELL", for we will have nothing,and they will have it all-and if they do then its the voters fault-& they will turn back the hands of time, so beware of them REPUBLICAN DEVILS.

October 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phil

God is NOT a bigot. "...and the men left the natural use of their females and became inflamed in violent lust towords one another" is how He describes them. Not to mention Sodom and Gomorrah.

October 7, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HollyPiz

Religion is the basis for all evil. If there was a god, he would not have created such ignorant people. If life were a test, 99.99% would fail and heaven would have 4 people in it. Grow up and find something real to believe in.

October 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GUS

W

October 7, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. em

Yes name calling is a second grade habit that we all picked up but why not grow some thicker skin? If you are truly offended by his "fruitloop" comment get over it. And in case no one remembers our country was based upon a religious faith. Can anyone recite the pledge of alligence? "GOD" is in the first damn sentence. So please do not sit there and tell me that I cannot try to prove a point about a religious truth while you spout your own opinions which are backed by anything but more illogical thinking.

October 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BB

>>And in case no one remembers our country was based upon a religious faith. Can anyone recite the pledge of alligence? "GOD" is in the first damn sentence. So please do not sit there and tell me that I cannot try to prove a point about a religious truth while you spout your own opinions which are backed by anything but more illogical thinking.<<

God was not mentioned in the original pledge of allegiance. It was added in 1954 during the McCarthy era, due to fears of godless communism. And it is in the first sentence, because the pledge is only one sentence....

October 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jake

I don't really care about juvenile slanders. I'm more worried about various figures in the right wanting to imprison us or worse for not abiding by their beliefs. People should have the right to live their life the way they best feel fit ... but others have a right to make insults as well (and a right to any backlash that may or may not result).

October 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. phil

I don't hate gays. I hate what gays do. I hate the way gays lust after my sons and brothers...even me! (ewww)

October 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |