October 10th, 2010

Gas prices up 8 cents a gallon in U.S. in two weeks

U.S. gas prices rose by 8 cents over the past two weeks, pushed up by a spike in crude oil prices, according to a new survey of filling stations.

The latest Lundberg Survey, conducted Friday, found the average price of self-serve regular gasoline was $2.77 per gallon.

That's 8 cents higher than from the last survey, two weeks ago, survey publisher Trilby Lundberg said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Economy • Energy
  1. Robert

No jobs....No money...Prices higher......Greed higher........Rich grow.......Poor below.....America in melt down......Such a let down

October 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ObammyMyMammy

Lawdy Lawdy Obama gonna pay fo my bills he gonna pay fo my gas if I help him he help me!!! OH LAWD!!!

October 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rooster

Yep, hook, line and sinker!

October 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Can you buy gas with food stamps?

October 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

If you think that the price of gasoline has anything to do with what our nation pays for foreign oil, you are sadly mistaken. There has not been a new refinery (where crude oil is converted into gasoline and other commodities like petroleum jelly... aka vasoline(tm) you smear on your babies buttocks) in the past 30 yrs. or so. when US refineries reach their maximum output, prices soar. It is your own government that refuses to allow new and "greener" refineries to be built. Interestingly, your congressmans retirement fund is hedged by huge oil market investments. The idea of "supply and demand" simply does not have much to do with the price at the pump.

October 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

HELL YEAH THAT RITE

October 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rooster

I drive a "Hope and Change" car. I hope I have enough change for a little gas! :^)

October 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tewrobert

Solar Power, Wind power . Both renewable. Its clean, NO smog control needed.......No one has to die..
    Let the arabs have their precious oil..........

The bad news is the politicians wont die as eich as they wanted too............

October 10, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

we can blame the Reagan administration for this

Carter was on the right path when he wanted to say the hell with the Arabs and their oil, then the Republicans and their ties to the oil industry have kept us hostage to them the last 30 years

They have destroyed so many lives including my life so their Oil Investments can stay strong

October 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

Liberal response – "It's still Bush's fault......he is in bed with the oil companies". LOL.

October 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock God

And you are going to deny that Bush and the Grand Oil Party do the bidding of Big Oil, right? LOL

October 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

gas was $1.10 a gallon when Bush got to power, after a few years they managed to get it up to $4.50 a gallon

Considering the deep ties between the Republicans and the oil industry do you think his is a coincidence

October 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rock God

Of course the Republicans will tell you that record oil company profits will lead to record job creation. Hey, only teabaggers still fall for that line!

October 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality check

Better check your retirement funds, the majority are invested in oil companies. Kill oil co's and kill retirement funds for the vast majority of the working class here in the US.

October 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katie

Gas prices are set by the commodities exchange and they are only looking out for the pockets with the money... Exxon Mobile has posted some of the largest profits in US history... I don't see any one boycotting them, or calling their congressmen to get the gasoline industry under control, banks car dealers, Wall Street get all the attention...
    Help the little people that have to pay the price for all these bail outs and poor management.. Stop big business from gouging us.

October 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rock God

I boycott them every time I walk or ride my bike. Or use a bus that runs on bio-fuel.

October 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

@Rock God...you need to examine (D) congressmans stock portfolios. They are full of oil investments just like their (R) counterparts. I know you don't really believe republicans set the price at the pump. So how is this price determined? I invite you to scroll up, read my post(s)...and reply. And don't forget that Vasoline(tm) is a waste product left over when crude oil is refined. Oil corporations used to have to pay for it's disposal, until the FDA made it legal to smear it on your babies buttocks. (smile)

October 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christopher

Here in Europe, prices (in $ equivalent) are above $7/gallon. People in the U.S. really just have no idea how well they have it when it comes to fuel prices!

October 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

But the nice thing is most of your cities are not spread out as much, and public transportation is good. I lived in Wolverhampton UK for 6 months and I paid less money per week in gas as I do here in Illinois.. The only difference I saw was that the public transportation was good everywhere I was at.

And having a diesel car was nice too, my citroen got much better gas mileage than my civic does here. I love the UK 🙂

October 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

Totally agree. I live in the Netherlands. So, of course, I ride my bicycle everywhere and try to use public transport as much as possible 🙂

October 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

I'll be in Rotterdam in April, ironing out my itinerary next week! I plan to be over there for a total of 2 years for work between Rotterdam and Amsterdam (not sure how the visa is going to work yet though), should be a great experience!

October 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Yes, but more than $3.49 equivalent per US gallon is tax by the UK government.

October 10, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rick Rolled

what's 8 cents really? It varies in price so much, dropps 30 cents, raises 8, drops another 15 cents goes up 30 cents... doesn't matter. I'll still pay it, not complain, etc.

October 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

@Kermit...the USA has never ever depended on Saudi oil. In fact, the US has NEVER EVER purchased more than 6.25 percent of it's oil from the middle east. Our main supplier is Venezuela, followed by west africa. I invite you to scroll up and read my post(s) above, and see what really determines the price we pay at the pump.

October 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sagebrush Shorty

Would have been nice if some of the stimulus billions had gone toward mass transit.

October 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. worksforme

The price of gas is somewhat dictated by us, the consumer. Much of the reason it went down and stabilized so much was that we all started consuming less. Refined gasoline has a shelf life of about 6 months. Then it goes for auction. The less we use the more they have to keep in storage...= lessens its' value. We're all getting more spoiled by the somewhat stability of prices this summer. Big SUV are "selling" again, more people are riding them alone to go to work or a quick trip to 7-11 for a six pack. If we ease consumption we'll see them "come back".
    One problem... the heating season. That will be their excuse for their higher oil prices.

October 10, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Patricia Vetre

My only question for the 8 cent rise, is why doesn't the price go down when the crude oil price is down... It did not go down recently when the crude oil was low in price several months ago... I know it usually takes effect 30 days or so after the price of the crude oil is posted,,, Its amazing that the gas prices rise quickly when it goes up, however, the price doesnt go down as fast. This sucks for the cosumers.

October 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |