October 10th, 2010

Gas prices up 8 cents a gallon in U.S. in two weeks

U.S. gas prices rose by 8 cents over the past two weeks, pushed up by a spike in crude oil prices, according to a new survey of filling stations.

The latest Lundberg Survey, conducted Friday, found the average price of self-serve regular gasoline was $2.77 per gallon.

That's 8 cents higher than from the last survey, two weeks ago, survey publisher Trilby Lundberg said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Economy • Energy
  1. Screwed

As Americans get paid less, lose on their investments and have to pay more with each day, Big Oil makes record profits all the time.
    Somebody makes this happen, regardless of election resutls.

October 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. D

The good news is Obama will soon pass legislation to make gasoline affordable for all

October 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

because no one in this country should be denied affordable personal transportation, just because they are a bum and can't hold a job for 2 days.

October 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality check

Just like he did for healthcare!

October 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • R

That would suit you just fine.

October 10, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. colorado

The moratorium on drilling surely has its effect. We need to drill for oil and gas here in the US and quit being dependent on foreign oil.

October 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

Just means more people will buy less and less and less...

October 10, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Oil man

Some of us eat steak everyday, some eat hamburger and some eat scraps. Get over it people, this is America, we all can't be wealthy!!! If we were who would clean my house and scrub my floors???

October 10, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

Illeagal immagrants .

October 10, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grease Monkey

Your mother.

October 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Luposian

If everyone walked, rode bikes, and/or drove electric vehicles, none of this "oil complaining" would even be an issue! Here, in S.V., AZ, I can ride my bike from one end of town to the other and do so, quite often. I do the grocery shopping for my family on my bike (love my panniers) more times than not.

Unless "time is everything" to you, stop burning petrol and burn some calories, instead!

October 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sportzriter13

I wish it were that simple, AZ.
      Let me explain my situation-anyone who has advice on what I can do differently can offer (polite, positive) suggestions.

I live in a small town on an island, so if I want to attend college classes or do much of anything, I have to go to another (bigger) island or the mainland. That means, start the car, pick a bridge, and drive. There's not much I can do about it.

If I can walk to get/do something, I do. However, when that's not possible I combine errands so everything gets done in one shot and with as little gas as possible. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can walk to.
      Even if I wanted to walk/bike all the way to and over the bridge, I can't-non motorized traffic is not allowed on highway (or part thereof). Would love to hoof it but it's a little beyond walking (or even biking) distance. It takes me approximately 40 minutes to drive there...more if I hit traffic. I'm all for burning calories (it would surely help me lose a couple of pounds), however, biking and walking can't get you everywhere (even if you are very athletic, which I am not). If you plan on being on time, then biking and walking may not even be an option to begin with.
      Yes, for some of us, time is everything, because with work and college, I haven't much of it (three day weekends help-a little). Professors and bosses tend to share the same mindset with "time is everything"-and I'm not willing to threaten my employment/GPA to figure out if mine feel otherwise.

Regarding electric cars, I would love to get a hybrid (a gas/electric hybrid), or better yet, turn the perfectly good subaru I already drive into a hybrid. However, since neither option is affordable (or possible-for the latter one), I will have to make do with a perfectly good car I already drive. It seems that the next best thing to owning a hybrid is owning a vehicle that has a decent MPG rating and is in good repair-thus getting as many miles to the gallon as possible. My parents firmly believed in regular maintenance, and I follow the same concept. I'd like to keep this car in the condition it was in when the keys were handed to me for as long as possible.

I'm still trying to find a person to carpool with...however few people seem to share the same schedule as I do.
      Last, but not least forget public transit-public transit in my state sucks and the bus stops in my town twice a day. I can't spend all day waiting for a ___ bus. If it were avaliable, hell yes, I would take it. I love trains, and after I graduate, I would happily move to an area with a good subway system. Washington DC, Boston and NYC are strong candidates for this one. However, until I have acquired the means to leave home (community college and living at home has its advantages over dorms), I'm stuck here.

For some of us this "oil complaining" happens because our situation doesn't allow for anything but a gas-guzzling vehicle. With mine running on premium fuel (and risking lots of issues if I don't) there's even more of it.
      I think what you are doing is great, keep it up, but please don't disparage people who are doing the best they can and (worse) lump us in with those who can do better, but don't care.
      Speaking of doing-thanks for reminding me to make sure my reusable waterbottle is ready for tomorrow. I figure if I can't make my transportation green, I can at least make my hydration eco-friendly. 😉

October 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bosco Bustemante

Well, I guess a BAD excuse is better than no excuse at all.

October 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. catsrulz

i wish we paid $2.77 a gallon i live in canada and we have been paying around $4 a galllon for almost ten yrs now the states have cheap gas compared to other places in the world

October 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Buck

Rock on you posting crybabies. Quit posting and VOTE. That will make a change. Posting never will. Call your congressman and start demanding they do their jobs.

October 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huck

Yeah right.
      Not in our reality, unfortunately.
      Let the slaves/people vote, with the illusion of having some influence.
      Only names change – nothing else.

October 10, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Diane Tavares

This may be an isolated example of how we are being robbed at the gas pump but here, in Weymouth, MA, the price of regular unleaded gas an an unbranded station went from $2.47 to $2.75 in less than two weeks. Over a five day period, the price jumped from $2.47 to $2.59 and has risen to its present price in the past week or so. Unbelievable!

October 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. warren

Folk's, how about april 15 2011, everyone that has the guts to participate, if you owe then,the IRS, don't pay.!!!! there ain't
    enough jail cell's to hold all of us. i'm game-how about you. ( this time WE take ) !!!!!!

October 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMD

People are so afraid that they would not join in. But you are right,it is something that would certainly catch the attention of our government,and no there are not enough jails,nor officials to actually do anything about it.

October 10, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • IRS

Go ahead – You will get fined and have to pay more eventually.

October 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uncle Sam

Thanks IRS! Let me know who refused to file and I'll take care of it. 😉

You guys remember that when you need services like police, fire or EMS.
      Something tells me the hardworking people who serve the people (that includes *surprise* you) will be upset at not being able to pay bills, feed their families or help their kids get an education. Their salaries come out of taxes and the cost of equipment and upkeep also comes out of what cities and towns can provide for them from, you guessed it, TAXES. If you guys refuse to pay me, I can't pay states, cities, or towns and they, in turn, can't pay them.
      If you don't want to pay for me to provide them, I would be happy to have them bill you directly for services. Be aware-the gas bill is going to add up quickly.
      Also, next time you plan on going on one of the highways, be ready to pay the toll. Can't fix the roads if I can't pay the construction workers to come out and fix it. Unless you're ready to do it yourself, (with the materials at your expense)-then, by all means, go ahead.
      Just wondering-what exactly do you plan to protest by not paying taxes? The IRS might not notice (it's all numbers to them), but the prosecutors and judge might like to know.
      Have a nice day!
      signed,
      the government

October 10, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LMD

This is extremely funny(sarcasm) as just today the news is that there will be no COLA raise for SS because as it stated inflation is down,and so are gas prices.I really do wonder just who the heck is working on these analysis,as it seems they are truly out of step with what's really going on in the country. And where I live,gas jumped 9-10 cents at the pump in the last 11 days.

October 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Gas here in Plymouth, MA was $2.55/9 for several weeks and just recently increased to $2.63/9 ... 8 cents sounds about right to me!

October 10, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pike Boy

They will pull anything out of the air to jack the price!

October 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ella

I don't think we can really complain about the price of gasoline in the United States. Look what they pay in Europe – way more than we do.

October 10, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louis

They pay about the same, plus much higher taxes and other fees.

October 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |