October 10th, 2010

Mercedes recalls 85,000 cars over steering problem

Luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz is recalling about 85,000 vehicles from certain 2010 and 2011 models due to potential steering problems.

The recall affects 2010 C-Class cars as well as the 2010 and 2011 E-Class coupe and cabriolet models.

Steering systems in the cars "may fail due to the loss of power steering fluid," the automaker said in a statement.

In such instances, the driver could lose control of the vehicle, according to the automaker.

Those affected can take the cars to a Mercedes dealership for a free checkup. The recall starts later in October.

Post by:
Filed under: Recalls
  1. Jerry Jackson

doesn't sound good..

October 10, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • rs1201

why aren't they telling us exactly what models are affected? My son has a 550SL convertible and I'm pretty sure it's a 2010. Is that affected? He's a surgeon and he certainly doesn't have the time to go to a dealer and find out. What's wrong with Mercedes...why aren't they being more forthcoming?
      Actually, I'm not surprised. I have a 2008 BMW 535xi and it was recalled for a defect in the fuel Pipe(?). I was never alerted to that fact by BMW. I found out when my car stopped dead in the middle of the highway and was towed to the dealer. I could have been killed. I guess german car dealers want us to think that they're a cut above every other car maker and will not admit to error....the super race and all.

October 10, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Tubbykid

@ rs1201 You and your son both need a Chevy Volt. Obama will take care of you. You don't need all that luxury when so many of us have old clunkers. You could start a new cash for clunkers program. If you make over $250,000 a year, your next car should be a Volt and you can but a second one for someone underprivileged. This will help Obama Motors and Make Al Gore happy, plus, will probably save you money. The world can be a better place thanks to you.

October 10, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

rs1201...I'm pretty sure the article states in the second sentence that the models affected are 2010 C-Class cars as well as the 2010 and 2011 E-Class coupe and cabriolet models.

October 10, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • kwa

wow, way to divert from the subject as a ridiculous attempt to promote your-(fake) -self. Are there any more irrelevant facts about your (fake) self you'd like us to know about?

OMG... it affects all C and E Class models?! What if I have an SL65 AMG??!! what if it's red with a black top?! What if I'm a lawyer and that's how I pay for my red SL65 AMG? What if my next-door neighbor has a Bentley because we both live in an upscale neighborhood? OMG how will this recall affect ME??

please stfu. And TubbyKid, I have a better idea...let's provide tax cuts for the rich and give the average household a 12 seater SUV!! For money to start trickling down, we need to encourage wasteful spending and consumption til gas reaches $5/gallon again!

October 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bensky

rs1201: I'm pretty sure you're just bragging, and not complaining. The article clearly left out the $100K car you cited ... and if he drives that car, he can afford to call and have someone at the dealership pick it up and check it out ... dropping him off a loaner of equal quality. I drive an both an S500 and E350, and they jump hoops for me.

October 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Is my silver Kia affected by this recall ? I dont have the time to find out. Can someone please do it for me ?

October 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

Don't freak out if you have a recall they mail you a letter. Also this isn't an article pushed out by Mercedes so use your brain a little here.

October 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chiroma

How will I know that my C class is affected? Omg what were they thinking?

October 10, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • tiddingwright

"take the cars to a Mercedes dealership for a free checkup." By the way with all that brain power how did you ever afford a mercedes ?, or did you aquire it otherwise ?

October 10, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • camel

i have 10 mercedes and 5 ferraris i dont think i will ever buy mercedes ever again. I will only buy ferrari and aston martin.

(sarcasm)

October 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • w00t!

I have 8 Mercedes and 3 camels. After this, I no buy any more Mercedes, only camels!

October 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. baba jinjiri

What of the E class american sedan?

October 10, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. R2D2

This is why I drive a KIA...

October 10, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Kia's are not perfect by any stretch. This happens in Mass production.

October 10, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • ak

if you lost control on your KIA (i hope no body do) they will deny the factory problem and claim that you are a bad driver 😦

October 10, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • TV-Guy

Good luck to you if you crash. Every car manufacturer has had a recall-even Rolls Royce. So if you judge a company by that only fact you should get a bike. The true test is how a company handles defects or issues. You can fix it pronto or let it linger and blame the car mats. It is up to you as the consumer to decide what is right or wrong. For me a car is not a list of features or a shiny coat a paint. It's how will I do in a crash. My opinion is not so well in a KKKKKKKIA (said like Chia pet commercial).

October 10, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kyungwoo

@baba jinjiri

The E class coupe and cab are actually based on the C class. The E class sedan has it's own chassis.

October 10, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. J

First it was BMW, now Mercedes... how about we buy Audi's from now on?

October 10, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vader

Already way ahead of you.

October 10, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. kassim Grema

Wow, I am standing for re-election and I ve bought about 208 2010 E-class for my campaign from the US and now they are in the high sea which voids the warranty. Do I send them back or pray that they are not affected. What are the odds? Do I ship them back but will deter my campaign. Lord have mercy, what were they thinking?

October 10, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Name*drlee

That's one good reason to buy AMERICAN, and besides who's really paying for the cost of that shipment? Com'on really. You want the Lord to have mercy? Get less exspensive cars,..gezz lead by example.

October 10, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • tiddingwright

ship them back, as a matter of fact genius go with them.

October 10, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. woody

Had a 2003 E Class. It was in a flood in my garage. Both the transmision and steering locked up.

October 10, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Luda

BMW are the best cars: bese engines in the world, best fuel efficiency, you can compare it to any merc or audi having a similar engine, and those problems that need massive recalls occur much more frequently for merc.. remember the A Class, the 2003 E Class..

October 10, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
    • SteveR

BMW lost me with idrive, and my hyundai genesis is all the car at half the price. 3 friends of mine have stopped buying german and gone lexus or hyundai and saved half. Amazing how much better your life can be with 1/2 the car payment, and you really don't miss the emblem since the cars are now so close in quality. Buy 2!!

October 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. MASON

"The recall starts later in October." Thoughtful wishes by Merc will keep the cars safe till then.

October 10, 2010 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • tiddingwright

take the cars to a Mercedes dealership for a free checkup.

October 10, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. baardamuu

The German automakers started outsourcing their production to inferior cheap labor markets to undermine German workers. We see the results: recalls from Mercedes and BMW, unheard of historically.

October 10, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

You are right sir, a safety recall on a Merc is historically rare. I own a 1988 190E 2.3 and a 1987 560SEL. Neither have had any recalls, safety or otherwise. Those of you who complain forget how many safety inovations have been made by Mercedes. Airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, ABS, crumple zones. Also, just for reference, all these things were standard on my SEL. Whats in your car?

October 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fred Asiedu Jr.

So I'm about to cop the 2010 e-class. But after reviewing this, I'll just stick to my initial plan for the maybach

October 10, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • John

A Maybach? its just a S class with steroids. Buy a Bentley, or walk.

October 10, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
    • MB UAE

Wow Fred, It's quite a leap going from a $50,000 to a $450,000 vehicle.

October 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • SteveR

Amazing how convincing 12 year olds can sound on the internet. Something tells me Maybach buyers aren't trolling the web early on a sunday AM

October 10, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. david sylvester

David,

Not suire this impacts you, but thought you should see it...drive safe.

Carlo

October 10, 2010 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
    • David Sylvester

Carlo you dumb ****! Why did you have to post my name on the internets?? Now everybodies knows me!

October 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sagebrush Shorty

1999 Buick Century. Plain old rent -a -car model. 130,000 miles, 1 minor recall, no major problems. 32 mpg highway. Has never failed to start.

October 10, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. YoungSinatra

Good now I have a reason to wait for the 2012 diesel E-Class coupe. I'd be spitin' mad if I bought one of those cars.

October 10, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |