October 10th, 2010

Mercedes recalls 85,000 cars over steering problem

Luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz is recalling about 85,000 vehicles from certain 2010 and 2011 models due to potential steering problems.

The recall affects 2010 C-Class cars as well as the 2010 and 2011 E-Class coupe and cabriolet models.

Steering systems in the cars "may fail due to the loss of power steering fluid," the automaker said in a statement.

In such instances, the driver could lose control of the vehicle, according to the automaker.

Those affected can take the cars to a Mercedes dealership for a free checkup. The recall starts later in October.

Post by:
Filed under: Recalls
  1. Malakas

My family has owned Benzes, Beemers, VW's, Cadillacs, Fords, Nissans, Hondas, and Subarus over the years (we 'milk' them, i.e. don't trade them in or sell them). Believe it or not, the best car (most reliable) we've had was a VW GTI with the 24V VR6 engine. The car went 94,000 miles before a costly repair (exhaust needed welding and brake pads replaced), and the car now has 267,000 miles on it!!!!!!! Been using synthetic oil changed every 7,500 miles... that's it. Our Toyota Camry lasted 139,000 miles before the tranny went, and our Honda Accord 124,000 before the engine block cracked. All our other vehicles gave us major problems.

October 10, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • flooby

124,000 miles and the block cracked? That's pathetic. Engine blocks just don't crack.

October 10, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Harry

Any American who owns a German made vehicle is contributing to the NAZI movement.

October 10, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Ouch

They probably know that already and have decided to buy these cars for exactly that reason.

October 10, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ozzo

Dear Harry ... next time you leave a comment on the internet please go to the toilet first, put your head in the bowl, flush it out and then you can start typing....have a nice, quiet and peaceful sunday....

October 10, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. SteveR

Wonder if those are leftover CHRYSLER parts.. Silly MB AND BEEMER drivers paying twice the price for the technology to have the badge, when so many other more capable cars are available at half the price. just convinced my father in law to forego a 2011 S series for a nice hyundai genesis..He's saving 70K

October 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. foreignpress

Remember that many Mercedes for the North American market are made in Mexico. This doesn't bode well for quality control.

October 10, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. John B

Ahhh...so all those Mercedes that cut other people off is the fault of the car and not the deutchbag drivers thinking they are superior. Phew...glad they cleared that up.

October 10, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Name*chad

Crap.buy a Ford

October 10, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. David

The E-Class is made in Germany, not Mexico. The C-Class I had back in 2001 wasn't; terrible car... I had a 2006 E350 and now have a 2009 E350. Both have been flawless vehicles with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Recalls are unfortunate but they do happen regardless of the make or country it's built in. I'd say since it has to do with steering it might be a good idea to get to a dealership ASAP.

October 10, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Juan Del Pueblo

I've owned a5 different and still own a 1970 280SEL... This year my spouse convinced me to switch to Jaguar, so I bought a XP-P Portfolio... Love it!

October 10, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Largo Barbara

Oh no, not Mercedes too. I'll bet the cars that sell for $250K don't get recalled, or at least we do not hear about it.

October 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • mikewill

LB,

Ever hear of a car named Ferrari 458 Italia?

October 11, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

@TV-Guy....so if your opinon of a car is based on "how it will do in a crash", I'm wondering what your opinon is concerning school buses, since they only have seat-belts for the driver.

October 10, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Insanantoniotx

Mercedes has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. They don't know their products and have no sense of problem solving skills. Very disappointed. I regret ever buying a Mercedes and will never buy one again. It doesn't surprise me that they are waiting to start the recall "late in October". Something as critical as a steering wheel problem should be taken care immediately. Extremely disappointed in your customer service!!!

October 10, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Ouch

What's this? Poor customer service from a German company? Say it isn't so!

October 10, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • ushavarma

In yurkey "THEY CLAIM" it is only the buses are manufactured.I do not beleive that and those Turks are not so thrilled about us "USA" people anyway.They forgot the past esp since 99% are Islam followers now after cleaning the rest.

October 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. callan88

Excuse me RS1201, but was your post intended to do anything other than boast about your family's status??

October 10, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. lynn

word to the wealthy, never buy a brand new car during or amidst a depression or recession.

October 10, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Buckhippo

Whew! Glad I bought a Maserati!

October 10, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. usha varma

I lease a 2008 C-300 benz.On july 2nd this yr,right next to my driveway my car went out on a tangent and hit a parked vehicle.I had complained 6 times when I leased in 2008 and they fixed and after a servicing two days prior to me accident they forgot to fix the problem I feel.I slammed my rt Tibia due to the impact "at such a Slow" speed.I had no control on the steering wheel the way it happened.I happen to be travelling in Turkey and they a plant there.I have complained many times.So watch out for the previous years cars.Thank God I can get rid of my car in May of 2011.

October 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |