October 13th, 2010

4.3 quake jolts Oklahoma

A magnitude 4.3 earthquake struck central Oklahoma on Wednesday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, but officials said no significant damage or injuries had been reported.

"At first I thought it could be an explosion," said Capt. Tom Easley, of the Norman, Oklahoma, police. "You think of the worst possible scenario."

Posters on the website of CNN affiliate KOCO in Oklahoma City reported feeling the temblor in numerous locations.
"Our office building shook for nearly 30 seconds," one poster wrote. "I heard it and felt it. I watched the drink on my desk shake and the liquid slosh around in my cup."

Another said the wall of his home had minor damage.

The USGS initially classified the quake as a magnitude 4.5 but later downgraded it to 4.3. It struck at 9:06 a.m. (10:06 a.m. ET) and was centered five miles east of Norman and 20 miles south-southeast of Oklahoma City, USGS said. The quake was relatively shallow, at 3.1 miles deep.

Post by:
Filed under: Oklahoma • U.S.
  1. Angela L

I felt the quake in Denton, TX. My office shook for about 30 seconds.

October 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. andrea

I work in purcell OK and i felt it. I thought the the lady who works next door to me had hit the building! We are use to Tornados not earth quakes.

October 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. anon

Its too bad CNN wont do a story on the fact that world wide seismic activity has been increasing. All one needs to do is look at the number of quakes in general since the 70's on the USGS website to see that it has been yet for some reason they keep saying it hasn't. What don't they want us to know.

October 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miakoda

I wish they would do a story on the increase in seismic activity in Oklahoma itself! It really seems to be increasing here as of late.

October 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brian

I felt the quake here in Ponca City, OK. I thought I was having dizzy spells.

October 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Colleen

I work in West Tulsa and I felt my desk shake. My boss thought it was a co-worker getting excited and jumping up and down in the next room. It really just felt like I was on a bridge when a big truck goes over it.

October 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

Geologists has been trying to warn the mid-west to expect earthquakes there for years now. Here thry are...more to follow. So get ready St. Louis.

October 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Miakoda

I work near downtown Tulsa and our office windows were shaking. We couldn't figure out what was going on, because there wasn't really much traffic going by! I pulled up the Channel 6 news website and then said, "Oh! Okay!" 😉

October 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dbox

this song will make your day enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4zZctQPb8

October 13, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mary adkins

It shook the house so hard I thought something had hit it! The sound was almost like an explosion! The quakes here seem to be getting larger+more widespread! What's happening?

October 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. thetruth

It is called fulfillment of prophecy. Earthquakes in divers places. Say what you will, but it is happening before our eyes! OBEY ACTS 2:38!

October 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Where in scripture are "earthquakes in divers places" prophesied of? And what event is the prophecy pointing towards?

October 13, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mk

Actually Matthew 24 dicusses how no man knows when the Lord will come back, not even His angels. So to you Mr. "thetruth" you better get your act together and quit preaching what only the Lord himself knows ( if you are calling yourself "the truth" please actually represent the truth.)

Matthew 24:35-36

October 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. thetruth

MATTHEW 24-Relates to the return of the Lord and the end of the "world system".

October 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Then I reckon we missed it because Jesus said that generation would not pass until all those things (including "earthquakes in divers places") were fulfilled, see Matt 24:34. Please put verses in their context. The truth is that Jesus was answering His disciples' question of when the Temple would be destroyed (Matt. 24:1-3), not the "return of the Lord." And indeed, it was destroyed by the Roman army within that generation (70 A.D.), as Jesus prophesied. As to the final judgment when the world as we know it will end, we do not know nor are there any signs ushering it. I say live as if tomorrow is the day because it just may be. God bless you.

I felt the quake in my office and I live 60 miles southeast of the metro area where its center was! I've often though that the deep well drilling may have something to do with the strange increase in earthquakes in the area.

October 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. prophet

whoa, whoa,whoaa.

October 13, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. okay

The sky-genie and zombie son have nothing to do with earthquakes. Why do the freaks come out everytime there is a "NATURAL" occurance or "NATURAL" disaster ? Preach your hooplah somwhere else ! Anyways, back to story ! I felt this all the way here in NW Okla. ! I grew up in CA. so it was no big deal to me ! Shoulda seen all the backwood redneck cousinfu(kers going nuts..it was HILARIOUS.. I'll take an earthquake over a tornado anyday ! LMAO !

October 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Melinda

I felt it on the 4th floor of my work building in Independence, MO. It swayed for about 30 seconds.

October 13, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. me!

Jesus was CLEARLY answering the question, "and what shall be the sign of THY COMING, AND THE END OF THE WORLD?" That was the question and he answered it! He didn't give the date but he did give the signs to look for! If u dont see it, that's ok-no need to be mean or angry about it-just pray for understanding!

October 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

If "THY COMING, AND THE END OF THE WORLD" is a reference to the final judgment, the "second coming," then Jesus was wrong, because it did not occur within the generation to whom He was speaking as He said it would. We are still here. Look at verse 34 of Matthew chapter 24. Read the chapter in its entirety and investigate into what the words you quoted mean and their proper translation into English. Our English translations are not necessarily always correct. Does "coming" always mean the "second coming" of Christ, i.e., the final judgement when used in scripture? Or could it mean the coming judgement on the Jews for there persecution of the prophets throughout history (Read Matthew 23:34). Jesus said "all these things shall come upon this generation (23:36)." Does "the end of the world" mean the wiping out of the physical Earth? The Universe? Or perhaps, could it mean the end of the age, the Jewish age, when the Temple is destroyed, which it was within that generation. Consider Jesus' audience at the time. Indeed, Jesus did answer His disciples' question, and His prophecies were correct and occurred as He said they would.

October 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |