October 19th, 2010

3 NFL players fined after weekend of violent hits

The National Football League has fined three players for flagrant violations of player safety rules during this weekend's games.

Pittsburgh Steeler James Harrison was fined $75,000. New England Patriot Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcon Dunta Robinson were each fined $50,000.

Several players were injured Sunday in what some fans and observers perceived as a particularly violent weekend of football.

That led to an announcement from the NFL on Tuesday saying while the league may not specifically change any rules of the game, it will be more vigilant about ejecting and/or suspending players who have made flagrant hits.

Read more about the weekend of violent hits.

Post by:
Filed under: Pro football • Sports
  1. Danny

Where does all this money go? To charities... or to the pockets of the NFL's fat cats?

October 20, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ben

I personally feel that officials should be fined or suspended for allowing this to happen. I don't think it is fair for the NFL to come back in the middle of the week to fine players. If the officials aren't enforcing the rule, then they are just as guilty of those hits as the players making them. If you want people to follow the rules, you have to enforce them immediately. I am ok with fining a player, ejecting a player, and/or suspending a player for these hits, but the same should be done for officials that allow them.

October 20, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. WoodyB

I agree that the helmet to helmet hits need to stop but if they are going to stop the hard hitting that is part of the game, then it will only be a matter of time for the game is changed to touch or flag football!

October 20, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. tyler

Everybody who disagrees with the sport is just a little wimp. Ive been hurt playing football and do u see me crying no. Its there choice if they want to play a CONTACT SPORT!!!!!!! They new wat they were getting themselves into. The get paid to do this stuff so im sure they have enogh money to pay for the hospital bill. Football is wat america loves and if anything happens to it im sure theres gonna be a nationwide riot.

October 20, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • concerned

You think our nation really DEPENDS on a game THAT much to riot!!?? You sure don't give us much credit.

October 20, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. concerned

I think also that any ball carrier should be penalized whenever they grab the defenders face mask in an effort to ward off a tackle. I've seen receivers and running backs try and twist a guy's head off while grabbing that face mask. That face mask penalty should go both ways.

October 20, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dan

I understand the issue, and the attempt to stop aggressive tackles. But what seems like an underlying issue here is the penalties. Obviously, something must be done to preserve player health, but why should the NFL reap the benefits of massive fines when players get hurt? Shouldn't that money be put towards decreasing ticket sales for fans of that team who will be affected by the players loss for the rest of the season? I don't see why the NFL should capitalize off a players misfortune...

October 20, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • concerned

I hope that the NFL is using at least some of that money to provide health care coverage or life insurance for the players beneficiaries or something.

October 20, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. jambones

This is silly. I for one am all done with the NFL and their dictatorship ways. Football is a brutal, tough sport. The speed and ferocity with which these guys play is the only reason I watch or follow it, the only reason I liked it as a child. To make defensive players run around worried about getting fined is stupid. They are going to be locked next year on top of this.

I understand these guys get injured, I also understand they make HUNDREDS of times what the average worker makes, I assumed the insane amount of money these guys earn for playing a kids game is why they get paid so much. Now the NFL wants to water down the play, remove the big hits, then what? We are left with a bunch of morbidly obese pigs patycaking some other fat pigs while some fast guys run around tossing the ball all over laughing at the big guys who can't use their size or strength to their advantage. These guys know what they are doing when the pursue a career in the NFL, the risk is the main reason we like the sport. All I can say that football is not a sport for cowards or the timid or the weak/fragile (ala Desean Jackson- who is way to fragile to play in this league clearly judging from his history).

I hope their new "safe" (boring) league will continue to charge exorbitant prices for tickets/food, make fan buy multiple channels to watch their games on the holidays now, their 100% offense league folds some time.

They will no longer have me to kick around as they ruin the sport I used to like and try to bleed the fans of every single penny they can.

October 20, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rick Mann

This is still lunch money for these guys. Suspend them for a game and then you are talking millions of $.

October 20, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Borysd

Yes let`s turn the NFL into NFL touch football!

October 20, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. jambones

What really gets me going is how this is even an issue. I have spent a total of just over 48 months in the middle east. There are much more important things to discuss than what happens to entertainers who make hundreds of times what we US SOLDIERS make who put our lives on the constantly in the name of our country. The simple fact is that these players can retire anytime they want. It is a decision they make themselves, they know the risks involved, they sign up to take the money and so let them have it. Fine the dirty hits but not the hard hits, the hit on Desean Jackson was totally legal, Dunta lead with his shoulder then their heads collided after his shoulder hit. Again football is meant for tough guys, part of being a legend is that you dont get broken along the way and can endure the beatings. But honestly after this latest move to make the game lame and pathetic, removing all the big hits....I am done, was a nice ride NFL but see you later

October 20, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

Make basketball or soccer the number one sport in america. Healthier overall for the players and for the fans to idolize

October 20, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Female Fan

Helmet to helmet is against the rules. No questions there. Here's my question... How do you fine a player tens of thousands of dollars when he was not flagged on the field?

October 20, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cooker

If you want to stop people from leading iwth their helmet, take the helmet off the players (along with shoulder pads). Just look at rugby and aussie rules football players. These are some of the toughest men on the planet. Sure there would be a rise in missing teeth, but they don't have the number of serious injuries the NFL has.

October 20, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gerald Shanabarger

I can't believe they are making football a sissy sport. Players get millions of dollars and absolutely know the risk. Perhaps it won't be long and they will make the players all wear towels and the NFL will be FLAG Football.
    Gerald

October 20, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ivan Libya

All the people on here saying football is turning into something less fun to watch because of the restriction in contact are m0r0ns. No one is saying less contact or no hard hits, all they are saying is no hard hits using your helmet. Let these m0r0ns like Harrison, "I try to hurt someone", who ruin the game, play without helmets and see how long he lasts playing the idiotic way he plays now. It's the mentality that needs to change and fines/suspensions and ejections are the only way to teach these dolts that football is NOT about hurting people.

October 20, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |