October 21st, 2010

6.9 magnitude quake strikes Mexico's Pacific Coast

A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Mexico's Pacific Coast, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday.

The quake, which registered at a depth of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers), was centered between southern Baja California and the Mexican state of Sinaloa, about 60 miles from the cities of Guasave and Gabriel Leyva Solano in Sinaloa, the USGS said.

iReport: Are you there? Share your images, video

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. Luis

2010 has been a tough year for Mexico as a whole. Drug cartels, Tropical Storms and now a massive 6.9 earthquake! Hope the people down at the Baja are okay!

October 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Markus30

tensor, your humor's so 1994

October 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

October 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • R_In_LA

KIM, A 6.9 is massive, I was in Northridge for the 1994 quake, if I remember right... they called that a 6.9 and it was huge.
      I experienced many quakes, I don't think I would call a 6.9 a tremor...

October 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim is wrong

Kim wrote: "Sorry to break it to you, but 6.9 isn't massive...in fact in many places anything under 7.0 is just considered a tremor."

Having lived through the 1994 Northridge Earthquake I can tell you a 6.7 is one wild ride !

Many people lost their homes and it took 18 months to restore the damage done to the Freeway System

October 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • 36 years in SoCal

Where exactly do you live Kim? Must not be on this planet. Tremos happen thousands of times a day, you just can't feel all of them. I was also here during Northridge and it WAS massive and caused tons of damage and more than a few deaths. Study your facts before you spout off.

October 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Having lived through the 8.8 earthquake here in Chile last February and the subsequent 6+ aftershocks, I think I can safely say 6.9 isn't MASSIVE. Sure, it's an earthquake, but it's not a MASSIVE earthquake. We had a 5.8 tremor last night that I hardly felt.

Earthquake damage has more to do with unprepared infrastructure than it does with the strength of the earthquake. The 7.0 that hit Haiti this year caused widespread destruction due to poorly built buildings, whereas the tsunami that hit Chile did a lot more damage than the actual 8.8 earthquake.

October 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • W7RKD

@ Kim............... The Northridge quake was what, a 6.7 in 1994? Ok, so tell me when did they scrap using the Richter scale and switch to "Magnitude"? Both measure quakes considerably differently!

October 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • turnando

Kim,
      You are arguing the definition of "massive earthquake"? Good luck with that. Did you just decide that you needed to argue with someone today or are you like that every day? Lunch with you must be painful.

October 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

6.9 hardly matters when it's that deep. Had it been near the surface and buckled sub-sea land, then you might have a tsunami on your hands.

October 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • groovygoober

"...in fact in many places anything under 7.0 is just considered a tremor"

more BS

Actually, I just call it like it is, a lie and BS.

October 21, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ms

Have a lot of family there, they seem to be ok, cell lines are phone, no .big buildings

October 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose'

CNN gets it wrong. That quake did not strike Mexico's Pacific Coast. That is the Guld of California coast.

October 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • www.DomainersGate.com ---- the #1 directory

this tower can SAVE thousands lives http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-501767

October 21, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. macey

wowi cant belive that. that totally sucks

October 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mrswonderful

Where???

October 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • dontbeleivemap

Its about 200 or miles further SE than shown on this map. Someone at CNN needs to pay more attention to the geography.

October 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brainless Beauty

Illiterate and blind.... hmmm, some might consider that to be required qualifications of a Mrs. Wonderful. (sorry women, it's just a joke.)

October 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kaisersouse

Is this part of todays drill? It was supposed to start sometime around 11am and its about that time. Coincidence or part of California's state-wide quake day?

October 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

it's real! I checked it out under http://www.usgs.gov

October 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • kaisersouse

Then I guess god saw California's plan and wanted to play too.

"Drill? I'll show you humans a drill!"

October 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

There is no statewide drill today.

October 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ED

God help the Mexicans.

October 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

amen to that

October 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PARROT

I BET CALIFORNIA IS NEXT.......!!!

October 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

I agree. I cannot imagine the "Breaking News" screen shot on CNN.com when that happens!

October 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bigboy

The end is near..!

October 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. memphisblues

Doomsday is near.!

October 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. flipperkin

I'm in Los Mochis working. It was pretty shaky. Now we get to worry about aftershocks. Fingers crossed that I get back to US tomorrow.

October 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PARROT

BREAKING NEWS...THERE IS A TSUNAMI WATCH FOR CALIFORNIA AND OREGON....!!

October 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

Good one

October 21, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flash

So the wave is going over baja then up the pacific coast to reach Oregon? Or is it going around baja?

October 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Long Beach, California

don't be stupid, it hit on the inside of the Baja Coast....any waves would go to Baja of into the mainland of Mexico

October 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jesus

Wow there are some incredibly insensitive people on here, I came on to get some news and ran into some racially insensitive people. I hope mexíco is ok, but we're a strong people, and they'll recover quickly.

October 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

I agree sir

October 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TAD

I agree I am here to wish the best to anyone that may have had to endure this earthquake, may there be no death, no suffering, hopefully everyone impacted my this earthquake is safe. My prayers go out to all impacted my this earthquake.

October 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monica Rodriguez

Not enough info out yet. Esperemos que todo este bien, nuestras bellas playas del mar cortez y toda mi gente. Y su vida marina. keeping my fingers cross

October 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lety

I totally agree with you Jesus..these people instead of cursing Mexico and thinking that the country that we live in is the best should get on their knees and pray for our fellow neighbors in Mexico. My prayers are with these people and really hope that nothing worse happens.

October 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wetkitten

Great, I'm scheduled to go to Cabo next week.

October 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • David2012

I don't know, I lean towards being sorry for people being injured, than your visit to Cabo Wabo ruined by the event... but that's just me... hope you get another earthquake in Cabo during your visit and tell us as a victim how much fun that is. My heart goes out to the people of Mexico; God bless us all.

October 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

Where at already? Nothing like part of a story! Do you know how big the pacific side of Mexico is????

October 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. buck

I honestly cannot believe the racist nasty comments coming from folks. Guess that why the States are hated arounfd the world. You folks should be ashamed at what you are posting. How would you lke these comments if it happened to you. It is known that immigrants take on the jobs that you folks would not want to do.

October 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. guest

2012 is near

October 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hank

Congratulations on being able to read a calendar?

October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teri

Hank – I think he's referring to Dec 22, 2012. The supposed dooms-day date as predicted by the Mayans.

October 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

Actually it's 12/21/2012.

October 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Actually they now think that the 2012 year is wrong by about 50 to 100 years due to errors in translation.

October 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • groovygoober

And the fact that the particular myan calendar referred to only marks the day as the end of that calendar and there are subsequent calendars for later. Apparently the myans aren't expecting the world to end on 12/21/2012, but someone somewhere started a nasty rumor and now everyone is freaking out (rolls eyes).

October 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |