October 21st, 2010

6.9 magnitude quake strikes Mexico's Pacific Coast

A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Mexico's Pacific Coast, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday.

The quake, which registered at a depth of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers), was centered between southern Baja California and the Mexican state of Sinaloa, about 60 miles from the cities of Guasave and Gabriel Leyva Solano in Sinaloa, the USGS said.

iReport: Are you there? Share your images, video

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. MIke

does that mean it will be a tsunami?

October 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JMA

Wow... some people are incredibly stupid and racist. Good to know cnn actually monitors the "report abuse" button. We have enough crap going on down here in Mexico and we don't need a bunch of ignorant red necks insulting us even more. Thank you CNN for keeping this space free of haters.

After the earthquake of 1985 Mexico has greatly inproved its earthwuake infrastructure. I have felt earthquakes that pass the 7.0 with little damage and no loss of life, I am pretty sure people are a bit shaken up but they'll be fine. We're used to earthquakes.

Thank you all for your prayers and support, we appreciate it so much!

October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dam

lol, pot calling the kettle black much?

October 21, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mgz2

Jesus, I agree with you. Insensitive and inconsiderate people. Why comment if you can't be a human being with sympathy and understanding. You should be ashamed of yourself. Very sad.

October 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. james

Save Cabo !!!!!!!!! This doesnt look good up the Baja coast either..many people in bad homes construction

October 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bobington

OH NO! This must be the end of the world. Im going to strap on my aluminum foil hat and hide under my desk the rest of the day! Someone let me know when the rapture is over.

October 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

It is over, we missed out. Guess we didn't thump the Bible enough.

October 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. yahwehufos

could of sworn I felt an earthquake last nick but I live in LA

October 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • yahwehufos

last night! gezz I have to start checking my spelling before I hit post gezzza gezz gezz

October 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PARROT

PAT ROBERTSON JUST PREDICTED A BIG QUAKE FOR CALIFORNIA TONIGHT...AND MANY PEOPLE WILL DIE.....!!!

October 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • lele

dont you have a job or something or do they not allow f-tards to work these days

October 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

I predict that Pat Robertson will die and many people will laugh.

October 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. B man on a plane!

Haha im 40000 feet up in a jet watching earthquake "75 lol yum these crepes are delicious!

October 21, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JMA

When did an earthquake thread turned to a religion thread?? Seriously, talking about politics and religion with politicians and crazy christians is like explaining relativity theory to a 3 year old and I'm pretty sure the kid would understand it better than the politicians and the crazy christians.

October 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pancho villa

CCN WHY DO U PUT BLOGS ABOUT NEWS THAT WILL CREATE ALOT OF RACIST COMMENTS I I I DARE U TO DEBATE ISSUE LIKE THIS BUT IN PERSON TO SEE YOUR FACE AND EYES AS YOU VOICE YOUR OPINION CCN.

October 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • izzybella

The blog didn't create the racist comments. The racists created the racist comments.

October 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. vs

The idea that punishment it is meted out by a being called God for "sinners" is a simplistic answer for simple minds. Although I agree that there is value in the belief of a God as there is an overabundance of people on earth with simple minds.

October 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. whocares

if Mexico is so strong why are they trying so hard to cross the border?

October 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Donna

People of the world please realize the USA is a very big country filled with all sorts of people. Please do not judge all of us by the callous, insentive hateful remarks of the bullies posting here.

October 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. j

God help them

October 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tim

In the water. Probably not much damage

October 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |