October 21st, 2010

6.9 magnitude quake strikes Mexico's Pacific Coast

A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Mexico's Pacific Coast, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Thursday.

The quake, which registered at a depth of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers), was centered between southern Baja California and the Mexican state of Sinaloa, about 60 miles from the cities of Guasave and Gabriel Leyva Solano in Sinaloa, the USGS said.

iReport: Are you there? Share your images, video

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico
  1. whocares

I make 70k a year I'm on break

October 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maria

I just hope everyone is okay were the earthquake happend God Bless,And to all those rude people this is not a funny event you should be ashamed to post so many discusting comments I only hope nothing like that ever happens to you...Viva Mexico!!!

October 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cecy

That's just crazy.!!! God must be VERY MAD at the world.

October 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ArthurB

I have an app for my droid phone that lists all the earthquakes that occur anywhere in the world for the past 24 hours. Yesterday I noticed about a third of all the earthquakes that occurred were in two areas – Baja California and the Gulf of California. Looking at it today, I see that both these regions were very active again today leading up to the 6.9 one. I have to wonder if there aren't more to come.

October 21, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carlos

THis forum is to provide information if the earthquake has impacted the cities in the area and their people. Is not to have irrelevant discucions.

October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. george

I SAİD 1 MONTHS AGO.I WROTE THAT .

October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leaf

This should all belong to USA.

October 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

Yeah, too bad the guys who marked Arizona's territory got drunk. But just think about how expensive Rocky Point would be if it were American owned. Nightmare.

October 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Leaf

The only solution is US Military Forces occupation of all land north of mexico city. This is the answer. The situation will only worsen it is the true nature of drug cartels and what they aspire to be like head drug cartel leader Phillipe Calderon president of Narco run mexico.

October 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pedro

Yeah. Gulf of California is not part of the Pacific. The quake, which was too small to cause a serious tsunami, was off the Gulf coast. Hire a geographer to help your illiterate staff with localities.

October 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. elreydelostacuaches

al moderator le apesta el culo junto contigo

October 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tv

So here goes another powerful earth quake and this one is big! I predict that everybody will be okay but there will be major damage ad far as business is involved, still as long as nobody dies that is still good news. As far as the next earth quake it could hit the northwest coast so you should be careful if your living from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, Canada. I'm worried about a big tsunami there as the earth quake of 8.0 may strike just west of the Seattle, Washington. But let's worry about this for now. As far as deaths in Mexico from today's earth quake the only people that may have gotten killed are drug cartels. God is trying to get the bad people outta here first I'd say! 2012 is coming so be ready, I don't think it will be the end but it will be a brand new beginning with back in the past as far as energy comes into mind. We have to stop driving our cars it is killing the earth. We as humans are not as intelligent as we could be but we'll get it soon. This Mexico earth quake is where most of the drug cartels are from so it will show that evil vs good re good will win because God is good and he will take care of us so don't be worried unless your a really bad person than stop doing what you're doing and get a real job otherwise your going to he'll, this is your warning!

Take care of yourself, family, friends and be a good samaratin if you can, God sees it all!

October 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joan

This quake is in an area where they are normally seen. What we should be watching are the ones happening in the Midwest on the New Madrid fault which produced approximately an 8.3 in the late 1800's. Do some research on that and batten down the hatches a big one is coming in that area soon!

October 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Vince

I need more information on this!! I visit the city of Guaymas/San Carlos every year! Has this created any huge waves or damage??!

October 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. manuel

Mean People Suck

October 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dan Garcia

Not wanting to confront no one....but...if you live in a less than modest home unlike yours and a brick falls on your head...I think you might want to call it a massive earthquake..

October 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |