October 22nd, 2010

Phillies keep World Series hopes alive

Roy Halladay pitched through a groin injury to lead the Phillies to victory Thursday night.

The Philadelphia Phillies staved off elimination in the National League Championship series with a 4-2 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday night.

The defending National League champions now trail the best-of-seven series 3-2, with games 6 and 7 scheduled for Philadelphia on Saturday and Sunday.

The Phillies were helped by a Giants error in the third inning that led to two runs and were inspired by their pitching ace Roy Halladay, who pitched six strong innings despite injuring his groin in the second. Read SI.com columnist Joe Posnanski on Halladay's gutty performance.

The Phillies and New York Yankees in the American League are both trying to accomplish the rare baseball feat of coming back from three-games-to-one deficits to win a series. If they both pull it off they’ll play a rematch of last year’s World Series that the Yankees won in six games.

The Yankees and Texas Rangers play game six of the American League Championship series Friday night. If the Rangers win they go to the World Series for the first time since they moved to Texas in 1972.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. Byard

I really think they can do it... we have the last two-thirds of H2O coming up, at home, where they were at their best. "Ya gotta believe!"

October 22, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. scott d

All the pressure is on S.F right now, Phils can win 2 at home, the Yankees on the other hand have to win 2 on the road, which may a bit more difficult

October 22, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat H.

San Fran will be entering enemy territory for tomorrows game. That place is gonna be insane. It's crazy during a regular season game and it was crazy Sunday night when I was there. Hoping to score some tickets to go tomorrow. GO PHILLIES !!!

October 22, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike D in the ENC

C'mon scotty d. The Philly's needed a gift from the ump to win that game. Remember Game 1? The Giants WILL take one in Philly and head to the Series. Too much pitching. I'd say having to win two straight against that pitching staff puts the PRESSURE squarely on the Philly's.

October 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noah C.

Mike D. As if you know the out come before it happens, right? LOL, careful to run your mouth before a game. I like how both N.Y. and S.F. fans literally abandon their team when they lose by even one point half if not more of the stadium leaves.

October 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cuso

Please Mike D we beat up Sanchez 6-1 in game two and beat up Cain in game 4 and only lost game 4 because of fielding errors. Unless Timmy is pitching again it isn't looking good for the Giants!

October 22, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PhillyGuy

I hope we do win it all in Philly. But we gotta get our bats working again. We can't just hope that SF will give us errors to capatalize off of. I mean, hey we'll take those too. But SF didn't get to the post season because they won a lottery, they're good enough to beat us if we don't play like it's do or die. Howard, Utley, Ibanez, Victorino, Werth, Rollins, all have to start playing offense again.

What good is the bullpen if we can't get any runners on base?

Oh yeah, GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 22, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Michael D

I'm a huge Phillies fan, not only do I hope the Phils get to the WS but I also hope the Yanks get there also because I want revenge from last year. AND we'd have home field advantage also!

October 22, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Meme

Hi hope so too, im rooting for the Phillies because i love the Phillies but I also want the Yankees to make it to the big dance so we can crush them.

October 22, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

Don't think your Phillies can handle the Rangers?

October 22, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • ManOhMan

No, it's all about beating the Yanks. Just like beating the Lakers, you want to topple the big bad dynasty, even thought the Yanks are not playing as well this year, it will add even more legitimacy to the Phillies legacy.

October 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. John

I don't care who wins but the umps have to get their stuff together. But for the terrible non foul call for that bunt who know what would have happened in that inning.

October 22, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • AKC

You know of all the wrong calls in the world, this one I can handle. That ump had an obstructed view, heard the ball hit the plate (it hit twice), it barely hit behind the plate, and he had no other ump to assist him given the nature of the call. Was the call wrong? Yes. But it wasn't like most of the other bad calls we have seen. (Full disclosure – go Phillies!)

October 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sarah

Why are the Rangers not in the news? This is their first ever AL championship series, and they are a short blurb after the Phillies??? What do you people have against Texas? Or is it that the precious Yankees are getting their butts kicked?

October 22, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • MikeyD74

giants v. rangers... lowest rating for a w.s. ever. dont be surprised if the yanks make a "comeback".

hogwash i know... gotta stir the conspiracy pot tho lol

October 22, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat H.

Because the Cowgirls get all the Texas coverage.

October 22, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

If Texas wins it will be the first time in the World Series period . The franchise started in 1961 as the new Washington Senators after the original Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins. They became the Texas Rangers in 1972.

October 22, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Texas Pete

as long as the Rangers beat the Yankees, it's all good. I would rather face SF then Philly personally.

October 22, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

Ditch that bumpkin manager for the phillies. Nobody wants to listen to that southern drawl nonsense

October 22, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • PhilliesFan4Ever

We love Charlie. So does the team. Who give a darn about a southern drawl? Where the heck do YOU live?

October 22, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat H.

Charlie Manuel is the best manager the Phillies ever had. And if you ever had the pleasure of meeting this man in person you would change your mind about him. He is one of the most genuine and caring people I ever met. GO PHILLIES !

October 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • AKC

I liked Charlie – and then I loved him for his comments after the no-hitter. How he gave credit and kudos to Halladay was priceless. You have to love the man. And, he is one heck of a manager, accent or not. And personally, I think Girardi has an accent also.

October 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

You're a complete ass. Charlie's an excellent manager and has a ring to prove it. What do you have? Oh, right. Nothing.

Though if I never saw him chew a piece of gum again in life, I would be happy. lol

October 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SthPhilly

We need to start hitting and stop depending on the damn homerun to get on the board. I'll be at both games, hopefully they take it in 7!!!!

October 22, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat H.

Do you have an extra ticket for me I will buy the beers all night ? LOL !! Seriously I know the Phillies can do it ! Gotta keep the Phaith ! I can't wait until Saturdays game. I will proably go to McFaddens and watch so that I can be close. I was there last Sunday night. I have a partial season ticket plan and loved every second I was down the ballpark. That satdium ROCKS !!!!! GO PHILLIES !

October 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alan

Yes, yes. That's it, Phillies. Fall back into your old mistake of taking the Giants lightly.

You people are already talking about which team you want to play in the WS, and you're still down 2 games to 3. That's perfect for when the Giants are celebrating in the middle of YOUR field! LOL

October 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Byard

We can say whatever we want. We're not the ones actually playing the game.

October 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bill

i hate to bust a lot of people's bubble but the playoff's are rigged so that they play seven games.
    they would lose a lot of money if they didn't
    think about it !!!!

October 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • AKC

If MLB is rigging the game to do that, they are doing an awful job. Need to go to SI.com and read the story about how infrequently series go to a 7th game before you speak.

October 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. soccerfan

it is not World Series it is American Series

October 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • AKC

Get over it.

October 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Giantsfan

To Alan: nice!!!!
    GO GIANTS!!!!!!
    Werth sucks in the post season!!

October 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cuso

He really sucked last night when he gunned Ross out at third and put the game away in the 9th with a home run.

October 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. NYYFan1

Whether it is the GIANTS or PHILLIES, after all is said and done, I believe us New York Yankees Fans are going to be singing our famous anthem:

October 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |