October 23rd, 2010

Man with bionic arm dies in car wreck

An Austrian man who was Europe's first to use a mind-controlled artificial arm has died after an auto accident, European news agencies report.

Christian Kandlbauer, 23, died Thursday after his Subaru crashed into a tree and burst into flames near the Austrian resort town of Bad Waltersdorf on Tuesday, the Austrian Independent reported.

Kandlbauer had lost both arms at age 17 when he suffered a 20,000-volt shock, BBC reported.

Kandlbauer’s right arm was a conventional mechanical prosthesis, but the left arm was connected to nerves implanted in his chest that allowed the device to respond to his  thoughts, Austria's English-language Herald Sun reported, citing the Kleine Zeitung newspaper.

It had not been determined whether the bionic arm was a factor in the crash, the Herald Sun reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Health • Technology • World
  1. Jim Brieske

So I may be an ass, but coming on here and posting my idiot views and making fun of other people is all I have in my pathedic life!!! I would hope you idiots can understand that!!!

October 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doe

Uh, you spelled pathetic wrong...

October 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michelle

Every body here should step away from the computer and go out this evening, even if only for a cup of coffee...or something. Up until a minute ago I had 24 hours w/out a blog!!!

October 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Geoffrey Morgan

I can't be certain, but I have a feeling that this Austrian bionic man had nothing at all to do with Mexican drug violence. Or if he did maybe he was behind the whole thing and we can now rest easy knowing that he's dead. We won the War on Drugs, finally! Viva Mexico!!!!

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim Brieske

Oh how nice. Someone is posting with name. Come out, come out whereever you are.
    I didn't post about the bionic arm man story because Foxnews had presented the senseless horrible massacre at a party in Mexico. I figured 12 young people being slaughtered would have been presented on the CNN blog before that story.
    It's much closer to home. I am going remove name calling from my vocabulary though I generally call other bloggers names and tell them off when they attack me without supporting themselves with an argument of any kind.
    jim

October 24, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Brieske

correction: ... my name.
    You are right Michelle. Tired.
    jim

October 24, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. tomcat

@Tomcat you are a pathetic wannabe. since your iq is that of gnats ass crawl under your rock with dr bad. by the way were is dr bad? hmmm

October 24, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. tomcat

@jim i guess we should be honored for imitation is the greatest show of flattery. but in this posers case i would call it flatuence

October 24, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. tomcat

where is dr bad? come on Tomcat no snappy comeback?

October 24, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. ANDY LUKA.

iam applying to the cnn manegmet to please do me a favour by sending me just a lates news throug this e-mail to olways get intuch with cnn all the time.my regard to all members of cnn.

October 24, 2010 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Yoyo

I'm confused, is Jim and tomcat the same person? Tomcat is posting to himself?? I'm new here is this the kind of nonsense that goes on in these blogs????? I may be wrong but these guys seem a little self center???? Someone please tell me what's going on??? Jim- tomcat spelled something wrong? Who cares?? Tomcat you attack Jim then say it wasn't you??? Oh I'm just confused!!!!!!

October 24, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. jagrisjr.com

hi readers, bionic hearing aid is truly remarkable. use this site for direct trusted affiliate -->>> http://www.jagrisjr.com/2010/10/bionic-hearing.html

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cuellar

Well, the day is coming..... 2012 there will be no more bickering about who's right and who's wrong! just think, no more idiodecy!

October 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim-Brieske-Is-Stupid

This my first & only time doing this... Jim is an A Hole. He must be a loser with no one to talk to & probably smells bad.

October 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Forf Fairlane

He was suffering from chronic oversteer anyway.

October 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |