October 25th, 2010

Gitmo detainee pleads guilty to terror charges

Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr pleaded guilty to all charges against him Monday, a Canadian diplomat said, in the first military commission trial there since Barack Obama became president.

Khadr pleaded guilty to the five terrorism charges he was facing, Catherine Loubier, spokeswoman for the Canadian Foreign Ministry, told CNN.

She declined to make further comment.

"This matter is between Mr. Khadr and the U.S. government and we will not have further comment on this today," she said.

Khadr was 15 when he allegedly threw a grenade during a 2002 firefight in Afghanistan that resulted in the death of Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer.  Khadr could have faced a maximum life sentence.

A military commission began in August but was stopped in the first week due to the illness of Khadr's military lawyer. It's the first such commission conducted during the Obama administration.

- CNN's Jeanne Meserve contributed to this report.

Clinton involved as US, Canada discuss Guantanamo detainee plea deal

1. Jason

They are trying to say he is a criminal for being involved in a firefight. Under that definition, WWII French Partisans are criminals, as were the freedom fighters against the soviet afghan occupation, and the Bay of Pigs guerrillas as well. Somehow, that dog just doesnt hunt! Obama is so out of there in 2012!

October 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • That Guy

All the groups you listed were defending their country from a foreign forces. He is Canadian, not Afghani. Makes a huge difference.

October 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

that guy – he was BORN in canada, but spent most of his life living in afganistan and pakistan. he didnt just take a flight on al quieda airlines when fighting broke out. his family moved to the region since at least '95 and he subsequently only visited canada

October 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Doug

Dave, Thanks for your answer. At least you are honest...
    Bob, are you there?

October 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Roger

FROM MSNBC:
    A U.S. soldier who died in a firefight in Afghanistan may have been killed accidentally by his comrades — not by a young Canadian facing a war crimes trial at Guantanamo, a military defense lawyer said Friday.

The accounts of other U.S. troops interviewed by attorneys for Omar Khadr suggest that someone other than prisoner could have thrown the grenade that killed the soldier, said the lawyer, Navy Lt. Cmdr. William Kuebler.

October 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • yankee cowboy

Oooo...MSNBC–real UNbiased news org there.

Genius, all that means is that some other jihadist holed up with this guy might have thrown it, NOT a U.S. soldier.

October 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lolzor

If the US is ever invaded, make sure you surrender, or you may face life in prison for murdering the invaders.

October 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • yankee cowboy

That's good advice. Now tell it to your Taliban buddies.

October 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. That Guy

I love people saying that he was a child and therefor shouldn't be treated like an adult. He chose to go to fight a war in another country, his choice- not an order from a military commander. He chose to be treated like an adult, so you can't whine about him being treated like an adult. As far as being a legal combatant, if I were in a foreign country when it was invaded by another country then I would not be fighting on either side, not my fight. So if he chose to kill then it was murder, if he were an Afghan then I could buy the defending himself argument. Instead of blaming the evil U.S. maybe you should be looking at his actions that were both deadly and illegal.

October 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • campana

NO HE DID NOT CHOISE: HE WAS UNDER HIS FATHER JURISDICTION. In US a 15 y/o boy cannot have $ex relaton with an adult and they want to process for been attacked by Delta force commando ?

October 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Roger

Its not murder if it wasn't proven. He pleaded guilty? His plea doesn't mean anything, after 8 years, you'd think he would have pleaded guilty earlier on. He just pled guilty so he could gtfo. I'm ashamed that as soon as americans see KADHR or any muslim name, they know for sure he's al-quaida... get real! I would treat this kid as a murder if it was proven that he was... it wasn't!

October 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave II

May I add that Omar Khadr spent roughly 3 of 24 years in Canada – all before the age of 7. Of the remaining 21 years, he was in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Cuba. Something tells me his influences are somewhat based in those areas. Since when do we prosecute 'war crimes' when the offender is a child of war and not those who serve to educate with their poison and trample human rights and general sensibilities? I guess that's what you do when you can't catch the big fish.....instead, you let the little fish die in the bottom of the boat.

October 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Doug

I understand the "cogs" of the machine. I am the cog that says "My Country, Right or Wrong" period, exclamation point. This country has given me and my ancestors a good life. A life worth fighting for. As for this "kid", I must apologize. I forgot what it was like to be 15 years old. I forgot all my 15 year old friends who packed up their grenades (just in case) and moved to a nation where a war was being fought, just waiting to be "woken up and frightened" by fighting in the village. BUT luckily they had brought along their grenades, that the got for their 15th birthdays, and went out to join the fight. Ahh, the days of youth.
    Meanwhile back on planet Earth....

October 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave II

Doug, he went to Pakistan when he was 2 and visited/lived in Canada for no more than a couple of years as a VERY young child. I hardly think he formulated this plot from afar and went to Afghanistan with a plan to throw a grenade at US invaders.

October 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

doug – his family moved to the area in '95 – long before 9-11. when he was 15. what do you propose he should have done? say "no mom and dad – lets not move back there because in 6 years I'll get involved in a firefight with us comandos" like any ordinary 9 year old would?

and YES – ASSumptions – because I have served this country. in a civilian capacity but the DOD was still the one signing my paychecks and the environment was none too friendly. only difference between you and me is I couldnt be found awol

October 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Guest518

AL Qaeda declared war on the US. They attacked the US. US sent ground forces, navy seals, delta forces, Marines you name it and it was there. Daisy cutters were used, carpet bombing done, many many operations conducted by the US and Nato. In the end saying that he is charged for murder does not make any sense. If they are not uniformed or conventional army, then why use such a force against them, Total hypocracy. US and Nato has just picked and chose what suited them from Geneva Convention and broke all the other international laws including prisoner treatment and POWs.

October 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Roger

Hey Doug, where do you have proof he threw a grenade? Where does the US military have proof he threw a grenade? Oh... when you find out, I'll be on planet earth, give me a ring will ya?

October 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Roger,
      I, unlike you don't need this "proof" of your fingerprints on grenade fragments and video footage of you throwing the grenade and whatever else it takes to convince people like you. He was a participant in the combat. I don't need to know he threw the particular grenade. As a matter of law, any accomplice in an act is as responsible as the main perpetrator in the act. This goes for in civilian law as well as military law. This is the law in most of the world.

October 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Doug

Bob, "ASSumption", really? Aren't you so witty, original and cute with your keyboard? Are you in the typing pool at work? Such wit. Must make the other girls jealous... Enough of acknowledging you. You just dropped below the radar...

October 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Roger

I think Doug was check-mated... its not a matter of us vs you... its a matter of getting through your thick skull... looks like its working. Now to jump start those two remaining brain cells and we'll be good to go.

October 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Really? I was check-mated? By you? If you think that then you apparently did not succeed in "jump starting" your two brain cells.

October 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Doug

To all my dear friends who have responded to my posts,
    Have to go now. But thank you one and all for the dialogue. I don't agree with you and if I meet someone like this kid back in the field, I will not stop to take him prisoner as I know there exists a cadre of sympathizers back here at home. I will know the right thing to do for the friends I have lost in operations. For the parents back home that I have written to. I will not be doing it for you...doug

October 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave II

self-important moron

October 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ed

A quick review of the facts regarding the Omar Khadr case:

1) He was a child soldier. According to international agreements WE ratified, child soldiers are to be considered slaves in need of liberation.

2) He was a young offender. Had he committed this crime in New York City, his case would have been referred to a juvenile court. In fact, he might have already served the sentence he would have received by now.

3) He probably did not kill Speer. A quick review of the case suggests that: a) the military doctored the evidence against him; b) there is conflicting testimony among the witnesses; c) it is more likely that Speer was killed by friendly fire.

4) He was denied right to legal counsel. His Canadian lawyers were denied the right to meet Khadr on multiple occasions; they were also denied the right to represent him. His government-appointed military lawyers were frequently fired and replaced.

5) He was denied the right to a speedy trial. According to the Sixth Amendment, any trial that occurs more than one year after an arrest can have its convictions thrown out on the basis of a sixth amendment violation. While there are exceptions to this rule, it's been EIGHT YEARS.

6) He probably made up this plea bargain knowing that if he didn't plead out, he was likely to stay rotting in Guantanamo without a trial for the next decade.

Justice was not done today.

October 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

P.S. I can give sources for every one of the above statements, using only mainstream media and official government sites.

October 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roger

Doug, your comments and thoughts make me sick. Any HONORABLE member of any military would be ashamed to follow in your footsteps. May god have mercy on your soul. Innocence until proven guilty, thats how you should go about. Not shooting anything you see and make apologies later, which seems to be the way to go lately. I dont know which branch of the military you are with, but in the eyes of democratic and just people, you are a total disaster.

I do not hate, but I do recognize ignorance, and your comments posted above show immense amounts of ignorance. Do you even know what you are fighting for?

October 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |