October 25th, 2010

NPR CEO sorry for how she handled Juan Williams firing

NPR CEO Vivian Schiller sent an e-mail to employees apologizing for the way she handled the firing of Juan Williams after his comments on Fox News' Bill O'Reilly show about Muslims, but also insisted she believes the company still made the right call.

Fox News has assailed NPR for its handling of the situation, calling it an assault on free speech and stoking GOP pundits and potential presidential candidates to demand that NPR's government funding be cut.

NPR posted the e-mail on their news blog, "The Two-Way." It reads:

"Dear Colleagues,

"I want to apologize to you for not doing a better job of handling the termination of our relationship with Juan Williams. While we stand firmly behind that decision, I regret that we did not take the time to better prepare our messaging and to provide you with the tools to cope with the fallout from this episode. As I’m telling our Member stations in a separate memo today, I also regret that this happened when the staff and volunteers of many stations were deeply engaged in pledge drives.

"This was a decision of principle, made to protect NPR’s integrity and values as a news organization. Juan's comments on Fox News last Monday were the latest in a series of deeply troubling incidents over several years. In each of those instances, he was contacted and the incident was discussed with him. He was explicitly and repeatedly asked to respect NPR's standards and to avoid expressing strong personal opinions on controversial subjects in public settings, as that is inconsistent with his role as an NPR news analyst. After this latest incident, we felt compelled to act.  I acknowledge that reasonable people can disagree about timing: whether NPR should have ended our relationship with Juan earlier, on the occasion of other incidents; or whether this final episode warranted immediate termination of his contract.

"In any event, the process that followed the decision was unfortunate — including not meeting with Juan in person — and I take full responsibility for that. We have already begun a thorough review of all aspects of our performance in this instance, a process that will continue in the coming days and weeks.

"The news and media world is changing swiftly and radically; traditional standards and practices are under siege. This requires us to redouble our attention to how we interpret and live up to our values and standards. We will also review and re-articulate our written ethics guidelines to make them as clear and relevant as possible for staff, Member stations and the public, and we will look for productive ways to include many of you in that endeavor.

"It was clear from Friday's all staff meeting that you have deep feelings about NPR’s culture, our commitment to diversity and how we communicate. I have deep feelings about those things too. We are working to tackle them, though clearly this latest incident has given them fresh urgency.

"In the meantime, I want to express confidence in NPR's  — in your! — integrity and dedication to the highest values in journalism, and our shared commitment to serving as a national forum for the respectful discussion of diverse ideas. They are why we will continue to earn the support of a growing audience.

"I stand by my decision to end NPR's relationship with Juan, but deeply regret the way I handled and explained it. You have my pledge that your executive team and I will reflect on all aspects of our actions, and strive to improve in the future.

"Respectfully,

"Vivian"

1. Chauncey Hessler

NPR is emotionless news, perfectly sanitized for the most feeble minded and those offended by their own breath. It's no wonder they have to charge people for it otherwise few would care to listen.

October 25, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RN

They do not have commercials as commercial stations do. They still have bills to pay.
      NPR reports news without the screaming and yelling of wingnuts – from either side – and is one of the few places I can go to and not feel the need to fact check what they say.
      The people who think that Beck and Limbaugh are accurate sources of information – well these people are the best examples of how the education system in the country has failed.

October 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn's Acolyte

Absolutely. I like news that provides me a clear perspective so that I don't have to actually spend the time to think about the issues. I look forward to a future without NPR where media sources tell me exactly how to think and I don't have to have the noise of other viewpoints or facts interfering with my worldview.

October 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BPdcham

So what exactly does it mean when Vivian Schiller says "I take full responsibilty for my actions"? Do you think she might get a demerit or a scolding. Wow Vivian, I am glad you are such a standup Girl and can Man Up when needed. I am sure George Soros is very proud of you at this Historic NPR moment.

October 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JZ

Well, NPR is now without Juan, who is a liberal analyst, and was the only black reporter for NPR. And really, more name calling? Once and for all, liberals are no smarter than conservatives. And their tactic of name calling and suggesting that anyone opposing their ideals are intelligence challenged is backfiring on them. People have finally begun to recognize that name calling is only resorted to when actual debate fails.

October 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • skip

@RN – are you kidding me??? They are totally one-sided – you call that TRUTH and FACT - The only reason they are speaking out about the way they fired Juan Williams is because they are seriously under fire from the LEFT and the RIGHT and will probably lose their free money from the GOVERNMENT, ETC. As they should.... now they have jeopardized their own people (PBS, public radio throughout the country). Oh and by the way George Soros and CAIR are why JUAN WILLIAMS WAS FIRED...... Juan Williams may own this organization in the end because he has a case against NPR. So keep standing up for a crooked organization like NPR.... Their colors should tell it all..... red, black and blue... things that make you go hmmmmmmmm! What happened to our country RED, WHITE AND BLUE!!!

October 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

If shouting my ideas at you increases the likelihood that I can persuade you to side with me on any given issue, then I would suggest it is you that has a feeble mind.

October 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

juan Williams and Fox 5 are PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER. He is joining the right network for his kinda voice which is geared toward racism just like Fox news. He is making more money than he did before so what is he complaining about? Rcik sanchez got fired from CNN juust for saying the media is owned by Jews and noone protested that even though it had no negative connotation. It's as if Anti-Islamic rhteoric is fine while any comments good or bad about jews is automatically considered anti-semitic with no voice to fight for the 1st ammendment. NPR did the right thing by standing by their code of ethics while fairly warning Juan Williams time and time again.

October 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

NPR claims to represent both sides of an issue and present the facts, however, you'll find that traditional views are just not discussed and are simply absent from the programming. For example, Diane Rehm aired a show on US militias. On the show she failed to say the charges against the militia group were "alleged" until 20 minutes into the show. The experts on her show went on to say that our country was founded by radical Christians like the militia and that we never see liberals going around with guns shooting people. The show absolutely bashed Christians and desecrated the founding women and men of our country. Diane of course is a liberal so the content of her show was never be questioned.

When abortion topics come up on NPR, they always discuss the positive side of getting rid of unwanted pregnancy so the woman can go on to do great things and they discuss the dangers of carrying a baby with a lethal disability and mother's safety. They however, NEVER discusses the emotional loss that Mother's who chose abortion go through. They never discuss the fact you can drop an unwanted baby at a fire station or hospital, they never discuss the physical danger that goes along with have an abortion. Women who have abortion are at high risk of have a future pre-mature baby. They never discuss the potential of what that unwanted child might become. What if Barrack Obama's mother had chosen an abortion? They never discuss this, it's not they the bash it or lie about it they just don't ever present the other side. It's not surprising that their views are slanted by their biggest donors, people who fall left of the center. If they didn't the donors wouldn't donate. If NPR aired a fair exchange about traditional values they would loose donations from the left, guaranteed.

October 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emtionless? Really?

So then the people "reporting" our news should cry about the olden days like 1979? News should not have emotion or opinion, it should just be the facts.

October 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Way to go Jason. I just knew someone was going to pull out a race card in this discussion and you were the first one out of the chute.

October 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

NPR was completely wrong. I am an independent. What they did was clearly hindering free speech. I used to like NPR and will never listen to them again.

October 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • amina

It is amazing that Juan WIlliams is not afraid of whites/southern whites when he gets on a plane given their history of killing abusing and torturing Blacks. see wwwmarfa.org

October 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pig Spotter

I personally think that news, information in its pure form does not need to be opinionated by a political/business slant. BBC is the BEST news organization to present unadulterated News. Today, after this fiasco with Vivian Schiller, I have the slant that NPR is extremely biased in which news story is broadcast, regarless of its Worlds and National importance.
      Fire Vivian Schiller NOW!

October 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmac

I guess Juan should have suggested the Muslums get Aids like Nina Tottenberg did to Senator Helms? Why the double standard...she has made many many "gaffs".

What he said probably deserved a closed door session, but to fire – ridiculous!

October 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeM

Really, JZ, Williams was NPR's only black reporter?

Michele Norris will be very surprised to hear this.

October 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

you can't find better, more accurate reporting than NPR or BBC. your comments are foolish and foolish people seldom seek to get it right.

October 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lassos the Moon!

NPR is completely hypocritical, and I consider myself left of center on several issues, and have been a loyal listener for years. Sadly, the left lives in a dream world, where "happy thinking" will make it so. I think if you polled the MAJORITY of Americans, their response to what Williams said would be in agreement and positive. Even if we DO disagree, he has the RIGHT, as a commentor, to make COMMENTS! I think NPR believes if we just pretend that Islam isn't a threat to our way of life, it will be so. Not. Not so. Our "political correctness" will be the end of our country, which sounds hyperbolic, but I don't believe it really is. Additionally, their is plenty of false speaking on the right, as well..my point..let ALL viewpoints be heard, censor none. Just because there are punitive responses by the left to what many of us are feeling, it doesn't make what we feel not so. Reminds me of a dumb joke: "What's a Liberal?".."A Conservative who hasn't been mugged yet." Dumb, not entirely true, but as with many things, there's some truth to it. Let's not pretend "everyone" is an equal threat to our nation..it is just not so, and Orwellian thinking to pretend otherwise.

October 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • C. Hudgins

How many people get anxious when they see a snake? All snakes ar NOT dangerous, but should
      those people be punished for their concerns. Juan has a right to his opinion.

October 25, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BostonsBest

I can't believe that NPR's CEO hasn't received a call from the White House regarding her unprofessional cruel actions. If you're going to take a deep stand such as this, then you owe the same level of treatment for anti Jewish and Christian positions as well. Are these the pins n' needless NPR wants to walk on? A disclaimer would flat out lessen the issue.

October 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • R Stoutness

You're right, there is a double standard here. But the double standard is that no one complained when Rick Sanchez was fired or Helen Thomas was fired. They made comments about Jews. If you think Juan Williams shouidn't have been fired for anti-Muslim comments then you should be against firing for anti-Jewish comments also

October 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pig Spotter

I agree with the comment below. NO ONE SHOULD BE FIRED FROM ANY JOB BECAUSE OF THEIR OPINION. NOT EVEN A TOP ARMY GENERAL!!!!! Do you hear the sound of Freedom of Speech? I CAN"T HEAR YOU!

October 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

When someone signs a contract to not express strong opinions as a reporter, then they deserve to be fired if they break that contract. It's hardly about stopping free speech, the man had every right not to take that job.

October 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jack

Is it really one's opinion to say "seeing people in Muslim dress on airplanes makes me nervous." That is fact, not opinion. Opinion would be something like "seeing people in Muslim dress on airplanes should make you nervous."

In this case, NPR has even less of an argument, and Juan's defenders are barking up the wrong tree.

October 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

October 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I think Jack makes a decent point. I'm curious to know what Juan was reprimanded for in the past.

October 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JZ

He didn't state that his opinion was that they're homicidal murderers, though, and, in fact, stated that we need to heedful not to stereotype Muslims during that same talk. Funny how folks here are ignoring that fact.

October 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BIll M.

Dave said:
      "A "fact" yes.....based on his "opinion" that people who dress in middle eastern garb are suicidal murders."

Not quite, it was based on his opinion that people dressed in middle eatern garb getting on a plane are MORE LIKELY to be suicidal murderers, which may or may not be a fact.

October 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

...but it's a fact that he gets nervous when he sees them, not an opinion...

October 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Bingo.

October 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nonimus

Isn't the assessment of one's own mental state by definition an opinion?

I am not crazy! Yes, you are.

October 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HoustonSteve

Seems like there are a lot of NPR listeners on this board who, like myself, love NPR but are disgusted with the CEO doing this. I think an effort should be made to NOT donate to NPR for at least one year (in my case never again) during their funding drives. This is the only real way to get your voice heard. Listen, but don't pay, until the CEO is gone.

October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

I don't agree. I thought it was badly handled, but I can see a huge problem with having one of your reporters working for Fox which glorifies bad journalism and practicing bad journalism. How can you trust a reporter at NPR if they aren't believable at a different job at the same time?

October 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dobro

It seems that the only reason she apologized is precisely that there is a fund drive going on. Bad timing on her part.

October 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JC-VA

Gosh, So now we can't say what we feel or think. I do feel the same way this gentleman says he feels everytime I see someone dressed like a muslim. Well, they brought that upon themselfs so now we have to be tolerants and keep our mouths shot...?

October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Wow, you are one ignorant fool!

October 25, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

You can say whatever you want, but you have to deal with the consequences. You can call you boss an a++hole, you have that right. You can also be pounding the street tomorrow looking for work.

Its called freedom.

October 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • spotlight

If Juan said that in private settings and NOT in front of the camera, then he would have kept his contract. When did freedom apply to the work you do or company to keep you or fire you? Should NPR keep this nutcase after several warnings? Besides he was fired from contract he had with NPR not a full time employee of NPR. If he were employee of NPR, he would not be making payable visit to FOX. This guy got the better deal out of the whole thing anyway. Besides, FOX, he and the people who watches FOX are matched in heaven.

October 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mister Peabody

This is a good example for schools for teaching about journalism vs. commentary; and free speech in the workplace.

FoxNews calling this a free speech issue is the pot calling the kettle black. Their own overall message is tailored for the corporation's world view.

As a regular NPR listener, however, I, too, think the CEO may need to go. A poorly timed move.

If NPR's meager government funding were cut, I'd gladly up up my annual donation. Whatever it takes to help combat paranoia and fear, and keep America in a centrist-, rather than right-leaning, position.

October 25, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Yes, that's the whole problem. Fox gives opinions and pretends it's news. NPR is very strict that it only gives facts as news, not opinions. The man was fired for practicing bad journalism, not for the gist of what he said. It's because his opinion was presented as news rather than just an opinion.

October 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. frombelair

Rick Sanchez insulted one man, jon stewart, called him a bigot, he was fired from CNN, case closed, helen thomas said jews should go back to where they came from ( eastern europ ) she was fired case closed, imus called a group of women basket ball players hos, he was fired case closed, this jerk insulted 1.2 billions muslims like me, he shouldn`t be fired, why not ? what happened to rick sanchez and helen thomas and imus freddom of speech ? if this jerk gets his job back the others should get their jobs back also..

October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • JZ

He didn't insult anyone. He told how he feels, which is a feeling shared by millions in this country. He did not espouse that feeling as one that SHOULD be felt or adhered to by others, nor did he make any comments stereotyping Muslims. In fact, at the time of that statement, he actually said that we should be diligent to try to not place all Muslims in with terrorists. There is no comparison between what he said and the statements made by the other journalists you mention.

October 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

People like YOU are the reason that other people from around the world think Americans are uneducated bigots.

October 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • cs_guy

Could you be a little more sensitive to the individuals who don't value your opinion? Anger,such as yours,is what caused the original problem. (ref 9-11)

October 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • skip

He doesn't need his job back, FOX hired him for a lot more money and a longer contract and Juan has a huge lawsuit against NPR (and will win). Maybe you should get your head out of NPR and listen to the real world!

October 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • AH

So what did he say that you think insult you and all the other Muslim? Did he call you names? Did he call you bad words? All he said was that HE felt nervous when he saw people dress in Muslim garb. You call that an insult?

October 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pankah

Most americans have this wrong conception that muslim garb makes identification easy and hence terrorist does not wear a garb. But the fact is the muslim garb only identifies a person as a muslim "woman" and not as a terrorist. Terrorist know this fact and knows how to take advantage of this.

Google for "burka bombers" and you will find tons of instances where terrorist used burqa's to attack targets in Iraq, Pakistan, India, Afganistan and many other places. Yes, and you wont be surprised even male terrorists used burqa for an attack for even flleeing from a spot. People wont dare to stop and question a person dressed in burqa and terrorist know this fact and use to their advantage.

October 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jezza

JC-VA, your line of reasoning is off. By saying this you have to also include that every Jewish person gets nervous when they see a German, every person in Oklahoma City gets nervous when they see a white Christian, and everyone from Great Britain gets afraid when they hear someone with an Irish accent. Yes, some people are terrorists but that does not mean that all are.

There are to many bigoted people in this world. Unfortunately, I do not see it getting better.

October 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • BIll M.

Niether Sanchez nor Thomas were employed by a publicly funded organization.

October 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phil

Although I long thought Juan's (and Mara's, for that matter) "dual citizenship" at NPR and Fox was odd, I also thought it produced a symbiosis. On one hand, Fox gained some respectable diversity of opinion. On the other hand, NPR was shown to Fox fans as having reasonable, thoughtful analysts.

By firing Juan Williams, all NPR has done is reinforce the impression among conservatives that it is a mouthpiece of leftist dogma, and state-funded to boot. If NPR has any sense left, it will force Vivian Schiller to "resign" immediately. NPR may never get Juan Williams back, but it had better make some dramatic and pre-emptive reforms at the top before the federal government –rightly –pulls the plug on its funding.

October 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • RN

They should not want Williams back. He violated his contract Several times by giving opinion instead of just the facts. Because of this NPR would become no better than FOX in having "facts" that are made up.
      It is "opinion" that anyone is Arab dress might be a terrorist, even while he is "in fact" scared.
      I think that the Pope is a terrorist – that is my opinion and while it is a "fact" that I am afraid of the Pope – that does not my opinion any more real. Then, trying to tell people the Pope is a terrorist is pushing an opinion and is not providing facts for the listening to evaluate.
      FOX likes to give people their opinions because they know what they want you to think – they don't like to take chances you might think for yourself.

October 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Fox is popular among conservatives because it practices bad journalism by offering opinions as facts. This is not allowed at NPR. Juan got fired for practicing bad journalism, not because of what his opinion was. What part of that don't you understand and why don't you like good journalism?

October 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Micheal P

I just canceled my donation to NPR via my credit card. As long as that woman Vivian still CEO in NPR. I would not even bother to be any part of it....

October 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

NPR is still deserving of our support. However, if Vivian Schiller is truely going to take responsibility for her actions and not just give lip service, she should resign!

October 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • spotlight

How much were you donating? I will double the match. Sometimes, it is worth using your brain before, knee jerk reaction to some thing out of most of the public stations hand. Besides Juan makes a lot more in FOX than he will ever in NPR. Let's not get carried away with right wing agenda of getting rid of any factual news outlet out there.

October 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

You've just motivated me to donate. I'm NPR will appreciate it.

October 25, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ken

"The news and media world is changing swiftly and radically; traditional standards and practices are under siege". Well, she got that right. The traditional standard of the left leaning media to provide biased stories that support their views on the world, and by pass facts or information that go counter to the story THEY want to tell is under siege. People want ALL the information and facts, and THEY want to decide how to think and react. That goes against the standard practice of the media telling them how horrible something is.

NPR needs to adjust to providing the facts, just the facts, and all the facts .. instead of living within some narrow confines of liberal standards. Of course they can keep their head in the ground and ignore reality and dimishing listener numbers. But then they will go the way of the Dodo. And we'd all be better off.

October 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Big Picture

Most of these types of letters have a 'Bottom line up front' approach with a recap at the end. Re-read the letter...first this is a letter of apology to NPR staff workers and volunteers not to Juan Williams. Knowing that this letter will eventually make it in the news she writes an intentional sub-message to the readers to remind us that listener pledging is currently going on. The big picture is she is afraid that she may have damaged some NPR relationships that center on listener pledging (40% of total revenue 2009) and government funding (10% of total revenue). Someone wrote that the government funding was not substantial – if you figure that total revenue for 2009 was 164 million, 16.4 million was government funds! With 40% being pledged donations – 65.6 million came from pledges! She could give a rats a** of whether she prepared NPR workers and volunteers with the right tools to handle this situation; this is a guise to beat the payment stump! I for one will not 'pledge' anything to this organization again!

October 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CuteKate

Somehow, I doubt you ever gave a red cent to NPR.

October 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. descarado

Are we still living in America? Taxpayers should not be asked to support fascist censorship. Congress needs to reconsider funding NPR.

October 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • spotlight

It's 1% of funding is from govt. I probably pay more tax than you, I like govt to give money to them. Besides, Juan was racist in his comment as a public speaker.

October 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Larrywp

This woman is the epitome of sloppy management and should, herself, be fired. She is, without any doubt, a flaming liberal who despised the idea of one of "her" analysts talking on Fox. Therefore, she had a visceral reaction to the episode and fired Mr. Williams in a hissy fit. No one in her position should be able to function in his/her position in such a manner without repercussion.

October 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nancy A.

Looks like NPR is scared about loosing their "Federal Subsidy money." Good, keep them scared & do not go back on about taking the subsidy away from them. That woman was wrong, first impressions are what count. No going back now.

October 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lewwho

I really don't care about a shallow apology from Viv. She's a hypocrite because she fired Juan for simply expressing his feelings and has never fired any of her gal pal reporters for making mean spirited, bigotted remarks about people that happen to disagree with them. Nina T. and all the other bigots are still working there so I don't want any of my tax dollars going to NPR. Let George S. buy them, at least it will be out in the open then and NPR will no longer defraud tax payers of this country.

October 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bilbo

Nothing demonstrates the low standard, unprofessional conduct and shear stupidity of this woman moreso than her reference made to his "psychiatrist or publicist" during one of her comments. She's obviously a loser and unqualified to lead anything. I guess in whatever closet she hides out in she felt everyone would be on board with such unprofessional speech on her part. Juan's probably got a case for slander based on that alone.

October 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |