October 27th, 2010

Wednesday's intriguing people

Rachael Leigh Cook

The 31-year-old actress from “She’s All That” is the latest voice in a chorus of complaints about how the media’s use of Photoshop is damaging to young women’s self-worth.

Cook has several allies in her fight, including the Creative Coalition, Girl Scouts of America, National Association of Broadcasters, Emmy Award winner Alfre Woodard and actresses Geena Davis and Teri Polo. The Creative Coalition recently released a PSA on the issue, featuring Cook.

Cook told Fox News recently that she battled her own body demons in 1995 after completing filming of “The Baby-Sitters Club.” Then 15, the actress put on 10 pounds over the course of the shoot and went too far to “try and get healthy,” she said.

“It breaks my heart to be part of an industry and part of a machine that really pushes out these images and propagates these really terrible standards that are false,” Cook told Fox.

This isn’t the first time she’s delved into advocacy. A few years back she did a memorable public service announcement in which she smashed up a kitchen with a frying pan to demonstrate heroin’s effects on the brain. She's also no stranger to sexy photo shoots.

A press release from the Creative Coalition cites a national survey from this year in which 90 percent of girls said the fashion industry put pressure on them to be thin - this, despite the realization by many respondents that models are too skinny, unrealistic or unhealthy.

Cook wants young women to Google “Photoshop tutorial” to better understand how images are manipulated.

“Nothing that you see is real, even if you look at what looks like a candid photo of someone, anything can be done. It is false advertising, and false advertising is a crime so why isn't this a crime?” she told Fox.

Last month, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s daughter, Katherine, made headlines with her first book, “Rock What You’ve Got: Secrets to Loving Your Inner and Outer Beauty.”

You don’t have to look like you’re on a billboard to feel beautiful,” the 20-year-old first daughter of California said.

Alexander McQueen

Almost eight months after his apparent suicide, the British fashion designer made news again when the Hells Angels Motorcycle Corp. filed suit against him, Saks and Zappos, citing trademark infringement and dilution.

The motorcycle club’s attorneys say McQueen’s “Hells Four-Finger Ring,” “Hells Knuckle Duster” handbag, “Hells Angels Jacquard Box Dress” and “Hells Angels Pashmina” bear designs “confusingly similar” to the Hells Angels’ “Death Head” logo - essentially, a skull with wings.

Before you ask, no, we did not make up the Hells Angels pashmina, and yes, it will run you about $560. As for the ring, it comes in gold or silver and sells for $495. The handbag commands $2,329 and the dress $1,595.

“From more than half a century of continuous and conspicuous usage, both the Hells Angels word mark and the HAMC Death Head design mark are famous. The HAMC marks are widely known and recognized by the public as indicating the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club,” reads the complaint filed in California Central District Court.

The Hells Angels ask that McQueen’s company, which is owned by French fashion house PPR, pull back its allegedly infringing products and pay damages for fraud, malice and gross negligence, the amount of which would be determined at trial.

The notorious club, which insists it is not a gang, has protected its trademark turf before, suing the Walt Disney Co. over the movie “Wild Hogs” in 2006 and an Australian children’s clothing maker in 2009, according to Toronto's The Globe and Mail.

Romeo Dallaire

The senator from Quebec is speaking out once more against genocide and is focusing this time on the use of child soldiers on the battlefield.

The enterprising former lieutenant general has an interesting battle plan, aiming his latest ammunition at young men and women in high school and college, whom he calls the “under-25 gang.”

Dallaire told The Globe and Mail there are a quarter-million kids fighting in war zones, and "they’re in there slaughtering, drugged up, stolen from their families, killed, abandoned in the field when they’re injured and so on.”

He is asking the under-25 gang to read his new book, “They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children,” in hopes that it will “make them realize this is happening to their peers.”

He also expressed frustration that all his years as a military tactician doesn't provide an answer for how to combat the problem.

“How do I make that child, that gang of kids, that are being used by these adults, ineffective? How do I neutralize that force? If it were tank, I’d know what to use, but it’s not a tank. It’s a bunch of kids,” he told the newspaper.

Addressing African genocide has been on his humanitarian resume for some time. In 2004, his book on Rwanda earned him numerous international literary awards, and he has regularly and critically spoken of his time in charge of U.N. troops there.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Celebrity • Courts • Most Intriguing People • Uncategorized • War
  1. natalie

For the love of god, it's 'Photoshop', not 'PhotoShop'. Repeated mistakes like this only say, particularly to someone who uses Photoshop on a daily basis, "I don't know what the hell I'm writing about, and I don't care to properly research an article before I write it." Fail.

October 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • JayPef

Thank you! Someone had to say it

October 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JayPef

"It is false advertising, and false advertising is a crime so why isn't this a crime?” Are you KIDDING? Everything that is published is Photoshopped...any graphic designer or photographer can tell you that. So, let's just SUE everybody for false advertising....why don't you try landing acting roles instead?

October 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tokyolow81

Photoshop is to pictures what AutoTune is to music. It's all fake now. True beauty and vocal talent has gone the way of the dinosaur. Thank you technology.

October 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tokyolow81

Oh, but on a side-note. I am currently in Kuwait and ran into RLC 1 week ago while she was here for a USO tour with Jason Biggs. I warned her not to go into the bathroom since there were cleaners in there. Small world.

October 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Christine dAngelo

General !!!! It's me !!!

October 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

my email is orignaldrbad at gmail.com. we need to talk.
      Im sorry.

October 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peter Andoniadis

Before Photoshop fashion images were retouched with an airbrush. Easier now, same false impressions. Music, film you name it, all media gets edited, fixed, touched before it's released to the public. The tools to make these changes has changed, but not the enhanced facade advertising has been presenting since it was created.

October 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. STEEVE-O

Sure, she'll complain until her picture ends up in a magazine and then she'll complain that her forehead's too shiny.

October 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. willie

Women dye their hair, wear push up bras, shave their body hair and wear tons of make up.
    Why?
    To look like someone they are not.
    Advertising only follows what people like and do. Don't blame photoshop for vanity. If you want someone to like you for who you are then strip off the make up, throw out the push up bra and let's see what color your hair really is.
    Of course you won't.

October 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Men shave, wear cologne/aftershave, cut their hair/work out etc all to look like something they're not..your point?

And not all women wear push up bras, dye their hair and wear "tons" of makeup. You're thinking of another generation.

October 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

Of course I won't? That's very assumptive. I don't wear makeup, I don't own any push-up bras, and I don't dye my hair. Why? Because I want people to like me for who I am. And I'm definitely not the only one.

October 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim Brieske

Raleigh pc mc dc or whateever. It is pathetic to instruct people to read sympathetic comments directed to a man who murdered two people. They disregard the people who were part of his victim's lives.
    To the Quebec character complaining of children being used to fight in Africa. That is a waste of time.
    We are fighting a war in Afghanistan/Pakistan. The Taliban have thousands of children fighting with them. Yet does this man from Quebec address that. No. It would not be the pc thing to do.
    He looks south and sees a black president so he chooses Africa. He is not very smart. Those kids in Africa are a dime a dozen. It would take 2 million soldiers to put a stop to it.
    Myswell attack The Taliban, at least their using of children can be stopped.
    You can just kill everyone because we are already there.
    jim

October 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rocketship

Sorry about the boobs thing.
    Read it on another post and was intrigued. Serious.

October 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Punt Speedchunk

That was one of the hottest broads in the history of chicks in that movie. From the looks of that photo, she's still smokin'.

October 27, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Brieske

Raleigh mc. I apologize to you. You were right they are worth reading. They are more unsympathetic than sympathetic. I could only get to 70. Am using cellphone because my pc has a virus which I suspect is a result of emailing the UN Iranian Ambassador telling him, the Iranian Army will meet a similar fate as the Egyptian Army did in the past.
    They don't like religious threats. But I figure fight fire with fire.
    jim

October 27, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doug

She Did CRAZY things at 15 to Lose 10 pounds of Weight????

When I was 15 I would lose 5 pounds of water weight after one day of practice. How lazy was this fat chick not to be able to lose 10 pounds in a week if she needed to.

Now that I am 40 what camers come with Photoshop already loaded so I can look better in my pictures...Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up and I dont feel like exercising.

October 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elperroguapo

Um, how about this. Build self-esteem irregardless of what the magazines and hollywood starlets portray. Taking responsibility for ones life has reached an all time low.

October 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Christine dAngelo

General !!!! It's me !!!

October 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    Mehdi General Dr Bad

my email is orignaldrbad at gmail.com. we need to talk.
    Im sorry.

October 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |

October 27, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Christine dAngelo

Hello general....it's me Christine....I've just gotten back

October 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |